FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I am looking for a flush unit for a 1961 Johnson Sea Horse 40 hp outboard. The only units I can find are the ear muff variety which will not work since this motor's water intake is a rectangular opening above the prop. Can any reader direct me to a source for the proper flush unit? I would...
Re: My gifted boat project
Here is a list of things off the top of my head that have been done to the motor prior to its latest voyage;
-new coils
-new points
-new plugs
-new fuel lines
-rebuilt carburetor
-new impeller
-new water pump housing (old one was cracked)
-replaced gasket in lower...
Re: My gifted boat project
Well we took the boat out Saturday for its first voyage in over 31 yrs. The motor started fine and ran fine except for what I think may bee too low of an idle speed. The day was very windy and the water was very choppy. We had the boat loaded with 4 adults and a dog...
Re: My gifted boat project
I did some more work today on the boat including more cleaning and applying the new registration numbers. I also looked around the trailer for some manufacturing name or logo. Nothing found...... I did some measuring and can only move the winch post aft about 6 inches...
Re: My gifted boat project
JBCurt; funny you should mention about the tongue being heavy; when we went to move the boat from my FIL's pole barn, it did not have the jack on the front. I went to lift the tongue and could not believe how heavy it was! I was expecting it to be much lighter, being...
Re: My gifted boat project
Thanks for the link JBCurt; will take a look at it. I spent some time this afternoon washing the hull and polishing it out with a wheel and some 3M polishing compound and wax. Also scrubbed 31 yrs of dust and grime off the trailer, and began cleaning the motor. I was...
Re: My gifted boat project
Thanks all! I am sure I will have lots of questions for you experienced boaters! I said something about taking the boat out on the 13th and bringing along my experienced boater friend. She gave me this look and asked why. I told her I want someone experienced going...
Hi all; I am a newbie to this forum and a newbie to motorboating. Any boats I owned in the past were all sailboats, so when I was gifted with this 1961 Arkansas Traveller with a 1961 40hp Johnson, I began feeling a bit out of my element. The last time this boat was in the water was when my...