Suzuki Outboard "Warranty Nightmare"

Ed Bickel

Recruit
Re: Suzuki Outboard "Warranty Nightmare"

Has anyone emailed this thread to Suzuki?<br />I couldn't find their email address on their website.<br /><br />I have a Suzuki 4 stroke 50 and this obviously concerns me. I did email my dealer and am waiting for their response.

Ed Bickel

Recruit

My dealer, First Choice Marine, Cape May, NJ, responded to this issue. They have sold Suuzki's for 10 years and normally get parts in a few days. Their worst case was a month. However, they also said "If I have to remove a part from a brand new motor, to get a customer back on the water in order to keep him happy, you can bet your bottom dollar, I will have a happy customer."<br /><br />To me this is what is important. We need more dealers like this to support us as customers.

Steelie

Cadet

I have put approx. 1 hr on my rebuilt motor over the past week. It seems to be running fine. However, I am still in the market for a trade. I have no confidence in the engine anymore. What have I learned from this nightmare??<br /><br />1. Dealers will promise the moon before you purchase. People that are concerned about Suzuki parts are now being told that the dealer would rob parts from new showroom engines to get customers back on the water. NOT TRUE!! All warranty work must be pre-approved by Suzuki corp. A dealer is NOT going to have a new engine in the showroom they cannot sell for months because it is torn down. Would you buy a new engine that had been torn down to rob parts?? If you dont believe it try getting a dealer to put in writing that he will have you back in the water in two weeks even if he has to rob parts from a "new" engine.<br /><br />2. If you live in the state of California you do have rights. I live in Oregon. A major marine dealer in CA recently told me about an obscure and little know law in CA, called the "Beverly Law". It states that if the product cannot be repaired in 30 days than it must be replaced. This law has been on the books for several years. The dealer told me in his words "#### hits the fan after 30 days" I strongly suggest that everyone find out if their state might have a similiar law and if not, push some lawmakers buttons to get one passed. 30 days is more that enough time to repair a major product such as an outboard. <br /><br />3. If you have a problem with Suzuki dont try to play the nice guy. It usually works with most companies but not with Suzuki. That was one mistake I made. After two weeks you need to contact Customer Service in Brea, CA. Send a registered letter to Rick Suzuki,president American Suzuki Motor Corp 3251 East Imperial Highway, Brea,CA 92821-6795. File a complaint with the BBB and contact your state attorney general. I was informed by the dealer in CA that contacting Suzuki customer relations is actually a waste of time but all conversations are recorded, in case you take them to court that could be helpful. They also said that the customer service is nothing but a bouncing board for complaints and very seldom do they act on the customers behalf.<br /><br />4. Buy local if possible and I strongly suggest you stay away from Suzuki 4 strokes until they can prove they have a good parts inventory in the US

PaulP

Seaman Apprentice

Steelie, I am glad you are back on the water.I just withdrew my deposit on a DF50, I live on the east coast and there are several dealers very close and they told me that they have NEVER had any trouble with parts. They all wanted the web site to look at yours and others posts as they couldn't belive that was happening they say there is more to the the story than you are telling.<br />He was mad I wanted my Dep back,I asked him to show me a cam from a 4-stroke from his stock inventory,of course he did not have one and said he infact has never had a problem of any thing like that. No dealer would give me in writing a service contract other than Manuf. Warranty, they all said it was just not done,I tried that question on other Engine dealers, Merc,Yamm,Honda they all said the same thing.It is too bad because I really wanted a Suzuki until this all I heard was good things and they had good write ups. As far as the Dealer comment about you not telling the whole story I personally mean no disrespect to you or your situation I am only repeating their comments, I think they had to come up with some kind of interpertation of the situation<br />as they all say that just dosen't happen. I almost wish they would admit the problem and say they are working on it, not all but a lot of people might accept that. Right now I am motorless and just dont know which way to go. I wish you luck keep us posted. Paul

captsara

Seaman

I too broke my cam shaft, at the key way for the oil pump. What did it cost to fix it, did you get a parts list?<br />I run a set of 2000 Suzuki DF70,s on my small passanger vessel, off Hawaii. <br />The big problems I have run into are mostly about attitude. <br />All the guys that have been selling Merc's and OMC are having to make some changes, and learn some new stuff.<br />Warrantees are a joke. Extended are worse. I'm commercial so I'm out after one year regardless. (I need to check that out)<br />I love the motors, they rip!

rtice

Cadet

Maui girl, Your the 4th DF70 owner we have found with this very same defect. My motor is a 2001 DF70. Check out www.walleyecentral.com. Search for Suzuki. Look for Suzuki outboard "warranty #####". Suzuki won't admit they have a problem. I've written Suzuki in Brea CA and asked them for and explanation that the camshaft they replaced has fixed the problem. I have a new camshaft and have ran it for an hour and seems ok. The camshaft they put in my engine is PN 12710-99E12. I believe the original PN is 12710-99E11. When I asked the Suzuki Rep why he gave me a differnt PN, he said that is what the factory had sent. I asked him if he knew of any other failures, he said not that he knew of. On the web site I gave you, we found this failure on a 1999, 2000 and 2001 motor. I sent a copy of that web site to Suzuki along with a letter asking for and explanation of cause and some assurance they fixed the problem or make me a reasonable offer to buy the motor. Along with the camshaft, they replaced 4 gaskets and 1 seal. The dealer charged Suzuki 7 hours labor. Looks like that could be $500 - $700 to get it fixed.<br />When you look at the web site look for Steelie and Keef.<br />rtice

captsara

Seaman

Thanks ya'll. Your info will help cut the bull. Forwarned is forarmed. I've thought about the argument that by hideing the facts and not allowing owners acsess to manuals and parts, the manufacterer risks the wellbeing of my pasangers. All litereature, regarding any motor sold .should be readable, available to the consumer. Parts and service, minus the service, is just parts. ;<br />The networking capabilitis offered today make clear one pertinate fact. <br />Without experience, your on he poop deck.

catwoman

Cadet

I LIKE TO RESPOND TO MAUI GIRL <br />WARRANTEES ARE A JOKE EXTENDED ARE THE WORSE READ THE BACK PAGE

catwoman

Cadet

steele i would like to say noboady or any mfg has every part to fix every problem parts still have to be shipped and i bet from overseas than clear customs since sept 11 shipping of all items have been taking alot longer than before who knows it might get worse :rolleyes:

catwoman

Cadet

RTICE<br /><br /> IN REGARDS TO PART #12710-99E11 IS CHANGED TO 12710-99E12 BECAUSE A CHANGE HAS OCCURED IN THE PART TO MAKE IT BETTER :)

catwoman

Cadet

FAT BOY<br /><br />YOUR COUNTER ROTATOR THEY MADE A NEW GEAR SET AND CLUTCH DOG. THAT CAME AVAILABLE IN JULY IN THE NEW GEARS THE EARS HAVE BEEN MADE SMALLER IN THE FORWARD GEAR A COMPLETE CHANGE FROM THE OLD STYLE SO THE CLUTCH DOG SLIPS IN FASTER

catwoman

Cadet

PAUL P <br /><br /><br />LOVE THIS WEB SITE NEVER HEARD OF A BAD CAM SHAFT TILL ISAW THE E MAILS

rtice

Cadet

Catwomen, Thanks for the info on the camshaft replacement. Do you work for Suzuki? I have been trying to get any info out of Suzuki as to what caused the failure and what they have done to correct this problem. They haven't been at all forthcoming to me or Steelie regarding this.

captsara

Seaman

Cat Woman, it sounds like you know your stuff, maybe you can help me. I don't have a copy of any warrantee from Suzuki. I only have a card with a warrantee number on it. <br />What does the back page say, and how can I get a copy? My motors where purchased by my x, and the shop in Washington State is out of business. <br />Regarding the new improved transmission, how bout us kids with the old ones. Mine went out well within the first year of operation, was fixed, and has gone out again. I'm all for progress, but I also believe in taking responsibility for bad design. I have also busted a camshaft. I don't mind being a guinea pig, and I love my motors, heck I'm a Suzuki poster girl. My attitude is extremely good considering the total lack of service available. I want Suzuki to be strong and lasting, but us guys who have gone out on the limb, running 7k per unit prototypes deserve a little respect from the manufacturer. Maybe you can also help me understand why professional marine operators would be harder to satisfy mechanically than recreation boaters. Does Suzuki disclose that their motors are not designed for daily use, or do experienced operators present a problem? I don’t get it. . Are these motors or shinny toys?

Hawkeye1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Catwoman, Know anything about piston failures on 225's. I had 1 piston fail shortly after breakin. Looked like the top delaminated off the piston. All the other 5 pistons looked like new. I repeatly ask for the area rep to call me but he never did. Seems like when a 11k$ product fails in such a short time that someone from higher above in Suzuki would call the customer to reasure them. Still waiting for that phone call....I know of 3 other 225's with the same piston failure as mine.

catwoman

Cadet

HAWKEYE1<br /><br />WAS IT #2 CYLINDER THAT WAS CAUSING THE FAILURE/ COULD BE LOOSE HEAD BOLTS OR A LEAKING HEAD GASKET DO NOT KNOW WHICH CYLINDER YOU HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT SHOULD BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY

catwoman

Cadet

RTICE<br /><br /><br />I DO NOT WORK FOR SUZUKI BUT MY BOYFRIEND IS A MARINE TECH AND WORKS ON SUZUKIS AND OTHER MOTORS ETC.........

Hawkeye1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It was #4, engine was at 7.5 hrs on the 2nd day after install. Not a good feeling when you have a 11k engine blow that quick. A new powerhead was installed under warrenty. The kicker is what Suzuki said the probelm was a "cold seizure", like I had run the boat without warming it up. The fail happened 2 hrs into a run. I had taking a couple days off, when I bought the engine, just to break it in and run this 1970 Formula I was restoring, all new everything. Hell I thought it was a 20 hr breakin but Suzuki only requires 5 hrs. Anyway I was going to run it up to 20 hrs anyway and get the Suzuki dealer to do the 20 hr service before I left from down there. Oh thats 300 miles one way. I just think the Suzuki expert that determined that it was a cold seizure should given me a call to discuss this and not relay it through my dealer. The Suzuki dealer pulled the head that day and said it looked like a defective piston to him. I was witness to all this. All the other pistons looked great. Why does Suzuki insist on hidding behind the dealers? My dealer got shafted out the service award that year because of a survey I filled out slamming the Suzuki reps, NOT MY DEALER, for classifing the fail as a cold seizure and not calling me when I had requested. Thats a shame cause my dealer worked his but off for me and got me back up in less then 2 weeks. All this over 1 simple phone call, they have my number and it hasn't changed in 20 years. I sure would like to be a proud Suzuki owner and recomend there product on the internet message systems like this but the argorance of the company wont let me do it. I will tell my story time and time again until I get a explaination on what happened. I did a long edit of this note because the 1st writing was a quick note with little time. Maybe Catwoman can get her boyfriend to get the area rep to call me.<br /><br />If any Suzuki reps want to talk to me, feel free to email me at. <br /> <br />formula233@home.com

pimentel15

Seaman Apprentice

FOR 6 YEARS I HAVE KNOWM THIS WITH SUZUKI<br />I HAVE ONE THERE GREAT UNTIL YOU SEE A DEALER<br />IN MIAMI EVERYBODY IN THE MARINE BUSS KNOWS THIS PROBLEM WITH SUZUKI.<br />I HAVE SPOKEN TO WARRANTY MANAGER IN THAT <br />1800 IN CAL I GUESS AND HAVE GOTTON NOWHERE<br />THIS WITH OUT QUESTION SAYS WHAT I ALWAYS<br />BEEN TELLING PEOPLE DONT BUY THIS PRODUCT<br />THE AMERICAN SUZUKI MARKET ONLY CARES ABOUT<br />SELLING THE MOTORS THEN ITS GOOD BYE.<br />HOWEVER BROWNSPOINT MARINE TO HAS BEEN THE BEST SUZUKI DEALER THEY TAKE PRIDE IN HELPING<br />PEOPLE LIKE ME WHOS HAD PROBLEMS.<br />RECENTLY I RECEIVED A CALL BY A SUZUKI REP<br />TOLD HIM MY PROBLEMS AS ALWAYS DEAF EARS AND<br />I WASNT AWARE,I ALSO TOLD HIM HOW PARTS WHERE<br />SO EXPENSIVE HE DENIED IT SAID THEY WHERE <br />MARKET COMPARABLE.<br />THIS MY FREINDS IS WHY USA IS THE GREATIST<br />COUNTRY IN THE WORLD BECAUSE SNEAKY PEOPLE<br />CANT PULL THIS ON EVERYONE AND GET AWAY WITH IT.i ONLY HAVE ONE MESAGE SUZUKI YOU BETTER<br />PULL IT TOGETHER FAST YOU HAVE BEEN EXPOSED<br />I HAVE KNOWN IT FOR MANT YEARS THATS WHY YAMAHA IS NUMBER YOU HEAR THIS FROM THEM.<br /><br />ANYONE WANT TO REPLY enriquepim@aol.com<br />thank you I feel better justice

Hawkeye1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still waiting for a call???????