i broke down and did it... i bought SMART TABS

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: i broke down and did it... i bought SMART TABS

Hi Stevens,<br /><br />I did notice a big shock absorbing quality of the Nauticus tabs. I hope having a little more control over the tabs with the Lencos will produce similar results. My main problem for switching was following seas, I cannot lift the tabs out of the water. And in heading seas I cannot put enough pressure down for some of the conditions I go out in.<br /><br />I will keep everyone posted on the results.<br /><br />boatster

phatmanmike

Captain

ok, here is new info.<br /><br />with the trim tabs and a 4 blade 19p stainless "renegade offshore" prop, boat goes 47mph at 5000 rpm, but if i trim out the motor once im on plane, i can trim out to 5600rpm and get 52mph.<br /><br />not bad for a 20'2" 4000 pound center console !<br /><br />this is verified by the GPS i just bought from walmart, wich i will return soon :p <br /><br />by the way, what is that big , grey, rubber hose hanging out the back of your boat in the picture with your trim tabs? is this some new space age porta-potty?

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

by the way, what is that big , grey, rubber hose hanging out the back of your boat in the picture with your trim tabs? is this some new space age porta-potty?<br /><br />
Myoutboards,<br /><br />That is an "elephant trunk". It is used to evacuate large amounts of water from inside the boat while running. I haven't had to use it but this gives you an idea what condition these boats are expected to go into :D

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nautijohn,<br /><br />Thank you. And congratulations on getting the honorable contract to mount your tabs on Coastguard boats! My avon is an ex-coastguard boat. They only use the best. :cool: <br /><br />I will send you an e-mail. <br /><br />boatster

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Boatster;<br /><br />Send me an e-mail with your address or call 800-233-0194 and i will send you new endfittings No Charge. This item is on our radar screen for improvements, now that we are selling to the Navy and Coast Guard. Like you they realy get hammered.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Myoutboards,<br /><br />Congratulations on a successful upgrade! It seems you got much more than you expected from the Smart Tabs and the propeller.<br /><br />Me too, except I went down in pitch instead of up and, as a result, ended up with even better accelleration but a slightly lower top speed.<br /><br />I hope you'll be as good at spreading the word about your good experience with the Smart Tabs as you were at being sceptical to them. This type of word-of-mouth advertising is the best NautiJohn can get, and I think this product deserves it.

stevens

Hi Boatster,<br /><br />It seems you must represent the ultimate torture test for NautiJohn's new product development. I'd nominate you to be his guinea pig for the trials.<br /><br />I understand the logic behind your use of tabs in following sea (bow up) and in heading seas (bow down). However, I found that, on my boat at least, I am able to trim the bow well up or down using only the engine trim and speed. Your boat may behave differently though, or you simply go out in much higher waves than I do, or go at them faster.<br /><br />The Lencos will give you more manual control, but also more to think about while underway.<br /><br />Also, as I understand it (without ever having tried), manually controlled trim tabs remain solidly in whatever position you put them in. As such, they will not constantly flex up and down like the Smart Tabs do, continuously adjusting to the changing conditions.<br /><br />It'll be really interesting to hear your comparison of manual tabs vs. Smart Tabs!

KCLOST

Commander

myoutboards,<br /><br />You mentioned that you now have a chinewalking issue to deal with at high speeds... The tabs, with a little adjustment may correct this.. But the main culprit in most instances is that the motor is mounted too "low". At high speeds the drag of the motor actually can cause an upward force on the back of the boat that creates instability, thus chine walking... More speed = more instability when this happens. The boat is kind of jumping back and forth to find a solid platform "so to speek" because the upward force on the back of the boat is counteracting against the force that is able to raise the bow.. If that makes sense... Tabs will also cause this if not set correctly (so keep that in mind)...<br /><br />Is it a gentle roll back and forth or kind of quick and wiggly?<br /><br />By looking at your pictures it looks like you could raise that motor some.. If you can, go up an inch at a time and retest... It will be worth it to try... Corrected my problem!! And I gained even more speed and a few hundred more RPMs at WOT...

txswinner

Banned

I have been researching the tabs and found out that Greg and John at Nautilaus 800.233-0194 will spend as much time helping and advising as anyone can ask for. What a super crew of support at the company.

txswinner

Banned

Originally posted by nautiJohn:<br /> We have not found problems with the actuators holding up during rough water conditions or when the boat leaves and re-enters the water. We have had end fitting fail in some situations, and frankly coould not pin point the reason. Fortunately they are easily replaced (screw on and off). The Ball Studs have never broken although in salt water like any other metal they will corrode if anodes are not installed on the plates. <br /><br />The fact that the Tabs can and do retract to above the horizantal position relieves the stress on the hardware.<br /><br />As always we are looking to improve the product and we will announce the improvements as they come.<br /><br />Thanks to all!

txswinner

Banned

I have been researching the tabs and found out that Greg and John at Nautilaus 800.233-0194 will spend as much time helping and advising as anyone can ask for. What a super crew of support at the company.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by txswinner:<br /> I have been researching the tabs and found out that Greg and John at Nautilaus 800.233-0194 will spend as much time helping and advising as anyone can ask for. What a super crew of support at the company.
There is no doubt about that, they have an awesome product, and "GREAT" customer support. Plus, John is just fun to call up an BS with if he has the time.

Got a Boat

Cadet

"right now i cant plane the boat at anything less than 3500-3800rpms without plowing, so we will see what it does now. "<br /><br />That was the question to solve the problem of not going on th plane without difficulties. I didnt read all posting, but i do think your smart or trim tabs will not improve the handling and planing of your boat. No matter how and were you mount them. Instead of i woult try hydro foils/wings on the OB. With the hydrofoils you will be able to lift the Bow up to keep on the plane with a lower speed. They are worth to try, are simple to mount and dont cost much.

phatmanmike

Captain

I didnt read all posting, but i do think your smart or trim tabs will not improve the handling and planing of your boat. No matter how and were you mount them. Instead of i woult try hydro foils/wings on the OB. With the hydrofoils you will be able to lift the Bow up to keep on the plane with a lower speed. They are worth to try, are simple to mount and dont cost much
if you actually bothered to read ANY of the post, youd find that the tabs helped me plane the boat at 2800 rpms, increase top speed, increase my mileage, and increase/improve overall boat handling greatly.<br /><br />adding a foil to an outboard does NOT give bow lift, as you say,but it forces the bow down and lifts the stern, but it does so at the expense of the engines structural strength. lifting a 4000 pound boat with the pressure placed on a foil mounted to my outboards anti-cav plate would not be good. <br /><br /> by using the smart tabs, i lift the boat by using the tabs and the water pressure that is already going underneath it, im just harnessing this to my advantage.<br /><br />next time, try reading before you post.<br /><br /><br />mike<br /><br />peace

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a boat with hydrafoils (doelfins) on the ob and it actually slowed the boat down. Once I took them off I went 1 mph faster WOT. They didn't help the ride either.

stevens

Boatster, any new updates on how you like the new Lenco trim tabs relative to the Smart Tabs you had before? Look forward to hearing this.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Stevens,<br /><br />Installation has been slow. Due to the placement of the elephant trunk and the lifting brackets I had to do some creative fabrication. That and be very slow and carefull of what I was doing. That said, I have one trim tab completely mounted (the hard one). Now all I have to do is mount the other, then wire up the harness, mount the switch and I should be ready for my first some time this coming week. I will post my initial results when I get there.

Trophy23

Seaman

MyOutboards, how about a picture of your boat with the Smart tabs installed where you have them now. I think it would be a great installation help for others. Perhaps a FAQ could be made in the installation of tabs for this site with what not to do and what to do. I know pictures always help me install things correctly/easier. Glad it worked well.<br />Mike

stevens

Boatster,<br /><br />I had another look at the Smart Tabs picture you posted before ( http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11732 ), and was wondering why you couldn't place the tabs further out? More stability, and easier to avoid the elephant trunk.<br /><br />Anyway, now that you've mounted one tab, I guess it is a given that it remains where it is.<br /><br />Best of luck with this!

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Stevens,<br /><br />My rib runs pretty high out of the water. Too much outside on the transom and they will only barely contact the water. Also according to the installation instructions they should mount somewhere around the main chine and halfway out from the middle (matched the photo instructions). Most often that is roughly where the hull is in contact with the water. The boat ran pretty stable and straight with the Smart tabs.<br /><br />If you look at this pic its similar in arrangement to mine:
28_25.jpg
<br /><br />I got the other trim tab on. Now I just need to harness and mount the switch.