Bondo

Staff member
hi
I can't find on volvo shop segments for
VOLVO PENTA V6-280-N
n°de serie :A1101219
VPGAS 083329

can you help me find them as this kind of engine is made in USA not europe
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... I'm guessin' yer lookin' for a shop manual, for a 4.3l Volvo motor,..??

It's a GM 4.3l long block, that Volvo bolted their accessories onto,....

Hopefully, someone with more resources than me, can decipher the serial number, to help ya find the right manual,....
Do you happen to know it's year, or the year of the boat it's in,..??

SAMSOUM1304

Cadet
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... I'm guessin' yer lookin' for a shop manual, for a 4.3l Volvo motor,..??

It's a GM 4.3l long block, that Volvo bolted their accessories onto,....

Hopefully, someone with more resources than me, can decipher the serial number, to help ya find the right manual,....
Do you happen to know it's year, or the year of the boat it's in,..??
HI
There is a serial number engraved on the bloc :126 30 881 and 19 07 15 b0008 (see attached picture )
Do you think it can be a useful information ?
THANKS for your help

Attachments

• numero gravé sur le moteur.jpg
    numero gravé sur le moteur.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 4

SAMSOUM1304

Cadet

Attachments

• segment on volvo penta shop not supplied.PNG
    segment on volvo penta shop not supplied.PNG
    78.6 KB · Views: 8

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
HI
Unfortunatally on the volvoshop, the segments are not supplied (see attached )and no delivery time is indicated. Even the local dealer , has no answer , that is why I am searching other equivalent on a similar VOLVO PENTA engine .
are you needing crank shaft parts and related?

Bondo

Staff member
HI
Unfortunatally on the volvoshop, the segments are not supplied (see attached )and no delivery time is indicated. Even the local dealer , has no answer , that is why I am searching other equivalent on a similar VOLVO PENTA engine .
Ayuh,..... If yer lookin' for internal parts, as Scott says, they are GM / Chevy parts,....
Not Volvo,.....

SAMSOUM1304

Cadet
Ayuh,..... If yer lookin' for internal parts, as Scott says, they are GM / Chevy parts,....
Not Volvo,.....
thanks do you have the link of the GM parts that could fit my engine ? as a reminder , I am looking for 6 sets of segments

Bondo

Staff member
thanks do you have the link of the GM parts that could fit my engine ? as a reminder , I am looking for 6 sets of segments
Ayuh,...... Are you callin' segments, what we call connecting rods,..??
The arm with 2 holes that connect the piston, to the crankshaft,..??

Not sure what the numbers are in yer picture, but the Block's serial number is stamped into the block's deck, starboard forward corner, right up close to the cylinder head,....

Do you have a machine shop that builds motors near you,..??
There's more to buildin' motors, than just slappin' parts together,....
If you need 6 connecting rods, that's pretty much a full on rebuild, which should involve machine work, so that everything fits properly,....

SAMSOUM1304

Cadet
HI
I am looking for the piston rings .(see attatched)
of course that the assembly of the piston rings will be made by a professional , my only problem , is that the piston rings are not available on the market .
i will try to find the serial numbers engraved on the pistons

Attachments

• segments piston rings .png
    segments piston rings .png
    185.2 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
HI
I am looking for the piston rings .(see attatched)
of course that the assembly of the piston rings will be made by a professional , my only problem , is that the piston rings are not available on the market .
i will try to find the serial numbers engraved on the pistons
if you need rings, you also need pistons and the block machined first.

because your engine bore is no longer stock diameter and has a taper, because your pistons are now oval shaped and you need to bore and hone for larger diameter pistons.

every engine rebuild shop can order the rings from Mahle, Perfect Circle, Seal Power (both MPR brands) or other piston ring companies. or spend more money on GM rings (which come from Mahle)

So it sounds like you need pistons, rings, bearings, a machine shop and gaskets

the GM part number for the piston ring kit for the 2014+ GM 4.3 is 12663864. $54USD. also available at any GM dealer in europe

SAMSOUM1304

Cadet
HI
my mechanical , said that our engine is in aluminium (with an internal foil coat !!!)he said that they are in good shape , and just the rings need to be replaced .
we will check again with MAHLE , but it seems that they don't have the sizes we need .Unfortunatally GM is not represented in my country , so I will have to check in europe.
thanks a lot

SAMSOUM1304

Cadet
Hi everyone
Thanks a lot for your help and advises.
Finally the rings(that volvo penta didn't aceepted to supply ) have been replaced with rings obtained from GM .
The engine is now perfectly running .

Attachments

• apres serrage des culbuteurs.mp4
    4.2 MB · Views: 0