Hey Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

briangcc

Commander
Hey noobs....if you want info on your new-to-you purchase perhaps, maybe possibly, you could include some info / specs / photos.

Otherwise the answers are....

1. It floats....maybe
2. It runs....possibly
3. It was manufactured between now and then.
4. It's registerable....if you have the appropriate paperwork.
5. If its free, it was free FOR A REASON.
6. This ain't an automobile so the owners manual you're desperately searching for is in most cases useless - get the service manual for the engine.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hey New Guys...

we dont know if your 30 year old boat is any good, we are not there to inspect it. brand still means nothing other than the name on the side of the boat. all brands have good and bad issues.

we also have a hard time identifying the unknown make and model of a grainy photo. if you bought a boat without paperwork, you bought something to plant flowers in - yard art and not a boat.

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been there. Both sides.

I was a moderator years ago on a tech forum.

I've been a member of many forums. Now, 20 years later things don't come as easy as they did then. I used to get so frustrated with newbies and reply with just as a short sharp response as many of these examples posted in this thread. Being a member of a classic truck forum for many years and see the same questions over and over, it's easy to give this newbie the: "Hey! Read the rules", "Did you Search First?" and/or "Read the FAQ's" "See the Stickies Right above your post?".

Yes, the newbie should take some time to get a feel of how a forum works before posting, and definitely not expect to be spoon fed.

It isn't necessary good to assume the attitude of the newbie and then post a short, chastising reply.

I found as I've gotten older that when people get something new, they are excited, like in the classic truck forum I am a member of. They join and want to get social with the new forum they found that looks to be such a great place to learn and discuss.

I post something like: 'Hey, by your post count I see you're rather new here. Welcome. You'll find there are great threads on your very question. We encourage new ones to familiarize themselves with the layout of these forums.'
I may even post a link to the thread on their very question. I know that now it's a breeze for me to find a thread on the topic in the classic truck forum. And I have learned how to search Titles Only in one specific forum here, but initially I struggled some.
Please be patient with newbies. Someday when your brain starts to not work as well as it used to, you may find you are lost on a busy highway, and you know you used to be able to get around a new neighborhood with little trouble, but now you really have to watch the signs and find yourself in the wrong lane and somebody behind you is honking and waving their hand.
Yes, get a map and figure how to get there before jumping in the car, but age has made me more tolerant of ones trying to figure things out.

Yes, millennials have grown up being spoon fed. But it may just be an older fellow that isn't very tech savvy.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Yes, millennials have grown up being spoon fed. But it may just be an older fellow that isn't very tech savvy.
we dont spoon feed.... we point in a direction, and its up to the people to consume at their own pace to gather knowledge.

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh, and yes, I apologize for not doing what was expected when I first started posting here at i-boats. I originally was anxious for some answers because I'd been shopping for an old StarCraft like my late father-in-law's. I saw one for $1400 on CL that had a Suzuki 75hp outboard. When I started asking the guy questions, I asked him if he'd be interested in a trade for a 66 Chevy. We then started chatting about hobbies and how I had 2 trucks and he had 2 boats. Our wives both wanted us to get rid of our seemingly unnecessary toys. The boat was his dad's, so was having a hard time letting it go. But after chatting and he seeing that I was really going to appreciate his dad's old StarCraft, he said if I wanted it, I could have it for $900. I instantly googled "80's 75 hp Suzuki outboard" and this forum and a Suzuki forum popped up as the results.

I asked here in an existing thread that I learned i don't do here, and I started my own thread. I also posted over in the Suzuki forum and got two really nice replies. Saying it was a good motor. That's all I needed at that moment.

Yes, get to know the expectations of the forum you plan on joining before jumping in and starting threads. I'm sure glad the Suzuki forum answered me right away and didn't instead just tell me I'm breaking the rules.

I do want to thank all those that contribute to forums like this, and this one appears to be above all the rest.

I hope to learn more now about my new to me 18 foot 1967 StarCraft Holiday that needs a transom replacement with a 1984 Suzuki 75hp. Things I just recently learned this last week by reading these forums.

roddysteve1

Recruit
Hello everyone, how's it going? It's my first time here. Happy to be a part of this community. In my free time, I love to learn more about iboats.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Hello everyone, how's it going? It's my first time here. Happy to be a part of this community. In my free time, I love to learn more about iboats.
Welcome aboard.

best way to learn about anything is reading.....

when you signed up, read the forum rules you stated you read (makes the moderators job easier)

read thru the forums. Using a PC is much easier than the mobile version on a phone.

if you have a question, look at the appropriate forum and look in the stickies. most likely your question and a bunch of ones you didn't think to ask have been posted there and immortalized.

some of us are a bit grumpy....... we bark a lot, however seldom bite.

briangcc

Commander
Hey noobs....boats have a capacity rating for a reason.

Sure you can add that 50HP 4 stroke to a canoe once...just don't be surprised at the outcome. Ohh and take vids...we like vids!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Hey Newbies....... read the damn rules you agreed to. posting in old threads is a no no

briangcc

Commander
Ya mean this one Scott??

aspeck

Staff member
Ya mean this one Scott??

Don't you love it when they start, "I know it is an old thread, but ..." post deleted. He can start his own thread.

briangcc

Commander
Hey noobs...

That trailerable boat you just bought that has a dry weight under your tow rating. Ya forgot a key weight...the trailer its riding on. It weighs something other than 0 lbs. How bout that gas, battery(ies), anchor, etc. All that "stuff adds weight". Still under that max tow rating of your vehicle??

martymcfly62

Cadet
to all newbies. dont take this as being negative, however we see this daily

We are here to help....however please help us help you

we know you bought a boat without advice and you come here and yell help. slow down and provide details

start with a search. your topic has been covered multiple times. there has been a similar issue with a resolution in the past 4 weeks..... use the search function.

we will give you advice, we will give you guidance, we will push you to do your own research and trouble shooting and to look for the answers yourself. we will not spoon feed you, you are not toddlers.

only one post will suffice, only one is needed. more than one on the same topic will be flagged. you are not helping your cause by posting multiple times

this is not face tube. dont PM us, use the forums

please say more than help.... we need to know what you are working on, what the problem is and most importantly use punctuation.

please when you buy a new to you boat. first thing to do is all the maintenance on the boat, motor and trailer. dont even think of asking for help until you have done that. that includes impellers, fuel system maintenance, engine oil changes, gear oil changes, plug and wire changes, battery testing, battery cable connection cleaning, testing the alternator and starter, trailer bearing and seal service, buffing and waxing your boat, cleaning your boat and applying all the protectants applicable to your boat. this is the stuff you do between the time you pay for the new to you boat and you splash the new to you boat. dont get so prematurely excited and simply drop in the water and hope for the best.

when you say I have a 3.0 or 5.7, keep in mind over the past 50 years there have been many dozens of varieties of your exact motor. include year, type of induction, and serial number. and yes, there have been more than 15 incarnations of the 3.0 over the past 50 years

if you have an over heat and did not start with a new impeller.....start there. if you did not back flush the missing pieces, do so.

if you boat a boat without a title, good luck most of us would have warned you prior

if your boat is bigger than your car, get a truck

boating is expensive, one of the most expensive hobbies in the world, if you cant afford the hobby, take up racing (its actually cheaper)

Thanks in advance......Scott
Scott some of us are not as fortunate as others and some of us wanna play with toys we no nothing about. Have a little heart and be patient. I do agree with most of how you feel but some out there haven't a clue of common sense itself! Some probably think it's what God gave a screwdriver.

martymcfly62

Cadet
thats the point.....we shouldnt have to point them to the stickies and post links to the stickies..... especially when there was a post literally 2 above theirs in the forum with the same question and the same answer.

todays youth is looking for the fast answer and not wanting to do the 30 seconds of research in order to understand and add to their knowledge base. if it isnt on a youtube video, they are lost. problem is, most videos on youtube are wrong.
Ok you guys are correct in many of the ways you feel but I am not a complete dumbass but I am ignorant about navigating on these forums. I haven't a clue but that doesn't mean I'm gonna quit because I don't give up very easly. I'll work my way around these forums and one of these days I'll be professional on how to navigate these forums until then please bear with me... I am very thankful for all yalls help because if the shoe were on the other foot how do you think you wood feel?

martymcfly62

Cadet
I would like to add that we do not have or know where you can get an owners manual for your 1996 boat. :lol:

Too bad the intended audience won't ever read this.
Some people don't know how to research or use resources correctly and some probably know how but just don't want too. Lazy

FLATHEAD

Commander
Don't you love it when they start, "I know it is an old thread, but ..." post deleted. He can start his own thread.
I understand the intention of this thread. After reading it a lot of guys might not post at all. šŸ¤£You need to understand a lot of these guys are desperate and need a fix ASAP. A lot of them are brand new to boating and for all they know the problem they are having is unique, so they post it up. Put yourself in their place if you had nowhere else to turn. Was a long time member here and just returned after a very long absence. Have been thoroughly enjoying reading a ton of the threads and the expert advice given here, seems as good or better than in the past. Rather than be aggravated you guys should feel somewhat flattered that with your help a lot of newbies are up and running.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I worked at a great company once.-----Decided that the thank yous and praise could not be traded at the beer store.-----Got a better job.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I understand the intention of this thread. After reading it a lot of guys might not post at all. šŸ¤£You need to understand a lot of these guys are desperate and need a fix ASAP.
and we need 100% of the data prior to being able to hazzard a guess. just saying Help with no other information does nothing

again. posters need to take the time to annunciate, use punctuation, have patience and describe the problems, the history of the vessel, the vintage of equipment they are working on and most importantly, did they read the rules? did they do a simple search? did they read the manual? do they have a basic understanding of spark ignited motors, basic mechanical and electrical skills (such as those mandatory classes taught in Jr high and high school until the early 90's)

or are they like 90% of them that want a quick answer without understanding

we are not agrivated ...... we are attempting to enlighten and guide those young grasshoppers that choose to seek out wisdom educating themselves. learning can not be pushed by the teacher, it can only be pulled by the student

briangcc

Commander
I understand the intention of this thread. After reading it a lot of guys might not post at all. šŸ¤£You need to understand a lot of these guys are desperate and need a fix ASAP. A lot of them are brand new to boating and for all they know the problem they are having is unique, so they post it up. Put yourself in their place if you had nowhere else to turn. Was a long time member here and just returned after a very long absence. Have been thoroughly enjoying reading a ton of the threads and the expert advice given here, seems as good or better than in the past. Rather than be aggravated you guys should feel somewhat flattered that with your help a lot of newbies are up and running.
Ok....but consider the following mythical person and boat...

We'll call him "Bob" cause why not? Bob goes out and buys a new to him boat and trailer combo. For arguements sake, say its a '98 Glastron with a 90HP Force Outboard with a matching Glastron trailer. Bob takes his family out for a day on the water, gets the boat launched, and it won't start. There's a faint click and nothing. Bob brings the combo back to his home, jumps on the interweb and finds this forum. Decides to join and his very first post is asking for assistance which reads as follows:

"Took the boat out for the day and it won't start. HELP!!!"

That's all the info we get. Nothing about the boat make, model, motor, any clues or troubleshooting done. Nada, zero, zippo.

Instead Bob expects the forum members to know what his boat is, what motor it is, and what he had happen the last time he tried starting it. Then Bob get's pissy when we ask for all that info.

Akin to expecting the forum members to each have their own magical crystal ball to know what he has.

Both sides would be better served had Bob in his very first post put all the info in.

So all this boils down to....Don't be a Bob! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.