Need help on changing every wire on my sterdrive engine

The Begginer

Seaman
Hey guys i just got a boat that has been sitting for years and all the wires seem bad so i just wanna change and refresh every wire to the engine,trim,lights etc.

dwco5051

Commander
Here's a start;

What shape is the rest of the boat in? What boat? What motor? Depending on knowing that we may be able to give you some pointers.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Was the boat sunk or exposed to the elements. In either case, the motor is the least of your issues

The Begginer

Seaman
Here's a start;

What shape is the rest of the boat in? What boat? What motor? Depending on knowing that we may be able to give you some pointers.
A glastron v174 and a mercruiser mcm 180 224 cid. 3.7l engine

The Begginer

Seaman
ohh and can somone help me on refurbishing my wiring harness its just all scattered and hasnt been properly attached thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
I think you can buy the engine harness as a bulk wiring set, at least I have seen them online in the past.

You will still have to figure out the navigational wiring and anything else not engine related.

The Begginer

Seaman
I think you can buy the engine harness as a bulk wiring set, at least I have seen them online in the past.

You will still have to figure out the navigational wiring and anything else not engine related.
Acctually dont need a new one just have to reroute it and so i can get what each thing does and where can i buy the female part of it you know the one which is on the boat and can somone give me a super easy wiring diagram of it thanks

The Begginer

Seaman
Acctually dont need a new one just have to reroute it and so i can get what each thing does and where can i buy the female part of it you know the one which is on the boat and can somone give me a super easy wiring diagram of it thanks
The engine side i mean thanks

Bondo

Staff member
you actually bought a boat with a mercrusier 470? your wiring is the least of your problems
Ayuh,.... They've got a thread in the Merc section, with multiple problems goin' on,....

I'd wanta hear it run, before ya start dumpin' cash into it,....

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Agree. Make sure this thing is running and worth it, no major leaks, transom is OK, floor not spongy, etc. before you throw any money at rewiring it.

You can't just use automotive or house wiring either. Marine wiring is tinned throughout it's entirety.

Don't make patches in the harnesses, get replacement harnesses.

If there's a fire on a boat, there's nowhere to run!

I would check the condition of the engine oil and the stern drive lube. If either one looks like a milkshake, there's water intrusion.
If all seems ok, I'd get the engine and stern drive running on muffs.

You better check the bellows too.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... The most common part number is NLA,....