21' Holiday Rebuild

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
5200 gets everywhere.... No matter how careful I was or the number of gloves I swapped with, I always found 5200 somewhere I didn't want it. lol

As for the pop rivets, where are you using them on your knee brace? I would be hesitant if you are trying to use them in a structural application, but maybe that is just me....

SHSU
Yeah I made mistake when cutting the tabs off and don’t think about the able of the transom to the floor. I attached the bottom angles with solid rivets but the vertical ones need to be attached with pop rivets or bolts. It’s just the bracket that rivets to the transom. I have larger angle that was bolted to the knee then up the wood on the transom. I hope that mad sense

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice work, the chine braces look good, you won't regret the work they took in the long run. (y)

I would bolt the tabs on, way stronger in a high stress area.

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice work, the chine braces look good, you won't regret the work they took in the long run. (y)

I would bolt the tabs on, way stronger in a high stress area.
Thanks. I just keep telling myself do it right one time. I will use SS bolts then. Should I use some plastic washers on both sides and drill the hole slightly larger to prevent contact. Hopping to get some work done before the Browns game

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the knee brace and z bracket buttoned up. Added an 1/8” strip on the outside of the z bracket to keep with the battleship theme. Need to finish the rivets on the port side braces then time to cut my 1/4” plate for the outside of the transom. E0FB0E61-42C8-42FC-BAAB-B1DA7EAD5C9D.jpeg0412B330-0EBE-4587-9FFD-119671FA411F.jpeg

Last edited:

DCampbell

Seaman
looks good . That riveter is awesome, lol. I checked some out....wow out of my price range , lol. I will settle for a air hammer. Ive never saw a Holiday that big before, its nice . lots of space. I like the helm being that far forward. It would be great with a half cabin like a west coast style . aghhh Im dreaming again, lol

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
looks good . That riveter is awesome, lol. I checked some out....wow out of my price range , lol. I will settle for a air hammer. Ive never saw a Holiday that big before, its nice . lots of space. I like the helm being that far forward. It would be great with a half cabin like a west coast style . aghhh Im dreaming again, lol
Yeah it has tons of room for fishing and a fun day at the beach

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Looking good. Glad @Watermann chimed in. I didn't even think about using bolts, but that is a smart idea.

SHSU

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Thanks. I just keep telling myself do it right one time. I will use SS bolts then. Should I use some plastic washers on both sides and drill the hole slightly larger to prevent contact. Hopping to get some work done before the Browns game

I wouldn't use the plastic, just use some SS and the good ole pelican poop 5200 in a light layer will isolate if that's what your worried about.

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the 1/4” plate for the transom cut. Needs a little shaping but so far so good. I should have done one big plate but got a deal on the 2’x4’ piece so went with that. Couple more coats of epoxy on the transom then will be ready to bolt it all together 1968342E-EF02-49D5-85EA-0D79AAF6CF0C.jpeg

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nothing too exciting in the past couple days. Been cleaning the hull and prepping for gluvit. Still need to prep the bow area but keep putting it off because it will be rough on the body in such a tight space. Got some of the gluvit in on the port side. 4BBD0BEE-1E08-4EBF-98FE-29A27E7345A6.jpeg4D71F59B-C387-4316-91C3-E918E2F29849.jpeg

SHSU

Gluvit is only needed on the tails and seems of the aluminum. You can use a syringe to apply an even bead along the seems.

SHSU

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
@benfish909 lol the whole bottom of my boat on the outside hull is covered in coat-it (same thing). I think its just a waste of material more than anything.

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since the inside of my hull is clean. I have been thinking about painting the bottom. Would this help prevent corrosion or make it worse by potentially trapping water.

Mikesta

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I may have missed this somewhere in the previous pages but what gauge aluminum are you using for the patches? looks pretty thick. And where did you get the 2'x4' sheets of aluminum? I see they sell 5052 sheets on amazon reasonably priced

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I may have missed this somewhere in the previous pages but what gauge aluminum are you using for the patches? looks pretty thick. And where did you get the 2'x4' sheets of aluminum? I see they sell 5052 sheets on amazon reasonably priced
Pretty much everything is 1/8”. There are 2 local metal supply shops here Cleveland that I use. The 1/4” 2’x4’ sheet was a scrap sheet the supply store had sitting around. Then mainly sell steel so it looked like AL sheet was sitting for awhile. The other store is owned by a friend of mine. Specializes in odd metals and custom cuts. Most of the stuff I can find is 6061. I am more than happy to share the name of the company but not sure if that is allowed.

Last edited:

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got some more gluvit done and started to reinforce the SW. I have a few large holes to patch in the SW. you guessed it 1/8” patches. Wish I wouldn’t have put the hydro turf in a couple years ago bc it’s a pain to remove but plan on repainting the SW so it has to go. D1BA37C8-B381-4D5F-B8E3-D1FE12A9C03B.jpeg31B05D7F-E4A6-4A7B-9639-559C4BB9CC19.jpeg

SHSU

Crap. Is it bad that I applied too much?
Nope, as @Moserkr indicated just unnecessary coverage.

Since the inside of my hull is clean. I have been thinking about painting the bottom. Would this help prevent corrosion or make it worse by potentially trapping water.
Proper prep and painting would help with protecting the aluminum. Self etching primer will be needed prior to applying any paint. You will be able to find many threads on Iboats where people have painted the hulls

Wish I wouldn’t have put the hydro turf in a couple years ago bc it’s a pain to remove but plan on repainting the SW so it has to go.
Every restoration comes with some elbow grease. lol Why do you not like the hydro turf? I hadn't seen that before and looks interesting to use in that location. I will have to take a look for some minor improvements for our boat.

SHSU