Really miss not being able to go boating !

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What if you need to go to the pharmacy to pick up your blood pressure meds, or to the market to get food?

We're not jailed at our homes, we're allowed to go to the supermarket, pharmacy, bank among other basic services. That doesn't mean that you can drive your car straight to the marina, go for a wot spin and then return after long boating hours to access those services which must be done strictly near where you live...

Have happily overcome the urgent need to go to the marina, for the moment I'm plainly satisfied with dry boating...LOL!!

Lounge Sibbing.JPG

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
We're not jailed at our homes, we're allowed to go to the supermarket, pharmacy, bank among other basic services. That doesn't mean that you can drive your car straight to the marina, go for a wot spin and then return after long boating hours to access those services which must be done strictly near where you live...

Have happily overcome the urgent need to go to the marina, for the moment I'm plainly satisfied with dry boating...LOL!!

Happy Boating

Your picture and discussion sounded like it was much worse.

Our local governments are on record that all launch ramps and shooting ranges are open for bizness. With those being my main hobbies I guess I'm golden.

Your second picture reminded me of a happy memory. My Grandpa was a carpenter in his last days and he helped one of his buddies build a boat. The wife wanted a bow window in the living room and since the guy had no garage that was to be his shop. When he and Grandpa finished the boat, they knocked out the front of the room to get her outside on the new trailer, and the wife was happy to get her new window.

As a teenager a couple years later, Grandpa helped me build MY first boat.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Your picture and discussion sounded like it was much worse.

Our local governments are on record that all launch ramps and shooting ranges are open for bizness. With those being my main hobbies I guess I'm golden.

It's not pleasant staying home till April 12, when people breaks the home lock down you have to take extreme measures, if not the total sanity system could collapse real fast and that's what the government wants to avoid. Animals are real stressed by now, luckily don't have any.

Happy Boating

WIMUSKY

Staff member
At the same time, they are asking folks here NOT to go to their cabins. They don't want those of us in metro areas (potentially infected already) travelling into rural areas, getting sick, and either spreading the virus or overloading the minimal health services in those rural areas.

Same in WI, but I hear there are plenty of IL and Mn plates in the area already, some admit they left to escape the virus...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I would think just the opposite. With all the families stuck at home, the puppies and kitties are now getting lots more attention.

Although are receiving more love, care and attention, it's because the owners will be staying at home 24/30 than before. Used to see dog herds socializing while being walked daily for hours by dog walkers, now it's a max 5 minute walk done in solitary with the owner. If I were a dog would be already highly stressed with such low out quota. LOL!!

Happy Boating

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Our launch ramps are open but a new regulation has gone into effect and will be enforced.
  • Boaters must stay at least 50' apart, and
  • No more than 10 people on any single boat.
Doesn't really affect our family, even if our boat WAS ready to go! :lol:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
What if you need to go to the pharmacy to pick up your blood pressure meds, or to the market to get food?

I ordered my pills from my home town pharmacy. Owner said he would mail them to me with an invoice and check payment in return mail would do fine. Solves that problem. On the grocery store, just plan your visit when there is the smallest crowd and follow the published instructions on hygiene and personal isolation at places like the grocery store.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
All the launching ramps at my closest lake, which I frequent often, managed by the US Corps. of Engineers are closed!!!!!!!!

Now that's the eye popping news headlines!!!!!!!!! Get the sensationalism result????????

Reason for the closure is that the lake is 8 ½' over normal pool and the courtesy docks adjacent to the ramps are up in the picnic tables which are under water, besides the slope of the ramp has already started leveling out and you wouldn't be able to get your boat off your trailer without submerging your towing vehicle.

Was there any sarcasm implied in my posting? Nawwwwwww? Who me? Be sarcastic with a NEWS item?

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The lake is 8 ½' over normal pool and the courtesy docks adjacent to the ramps are up in the picnic tables which are under water, besides the slope of the ramp has already started leveling out and you wouldn't be able to get your boat off your trailer without submerging your towing vehicle.

Has this issue happened before or are beginning to experience crazy atmospheric phenomena going on worldwide ? In my city where hardly rains through the year as only light drizzles when it does, rained heavily all afternoon and night long, something to worry about as all roofs are flat and could end having lots of unwanted free pools up there.

Happy Boating

DeepCMark58A

Commander
It is strange weather. I have lived at my place for 25 years. I have 3 small ponds on my property, I now have 1 pond that covers 5-7 acres. My neighbor who has lived on the land for 67 years has never seen the water levels this high. My wife wanted to sell and move to a lake, told her sunday we now live on the water.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Lake to the north of me is 1/3 melted. Next Friday night I am putting the boat in the water.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Has this issue happened before or are beginning to experience crazy atmospheric phenomena going on worldwide ? In my city where hardly rains through the year as only light drizzles when it does, rained heavily all afternoon and night long, something to worry about as all roofs are flat and could end having lots of unwanted free pools up there.

Happy Boating

Spring is early here this year. Spring brings rains. Flooding does happen here in the Spring. When people feel that oh my gosh "Chicken little was right: The sky is falling"; reference to an antiquated nursery rhyme, they only need to check the weather forecasters who remind them of historical events of the past. You have Yeas and Nays on what the earth is doing but it's been doing it's thing for millions of years. Cycles come and go.

We still have some lakes very low. The following is a current report for Texas' water conservation stockpile: https://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/statewide

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Spring is early here too. We should still have ice flowing down the river, but there is none. The Lake never froze at all. The ice fishermen were livid.

The water level is up, but no higher than the last 3 years.

We hear about climate change. Some areas have more floods than normal, others are in drought. It's all mother nature at work.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I would think just the opposite. With all the families stuck at home, the puppies and kitties are now getting lots more attention.

Heck, our Huskies were spoiled way b4 the virus. They always get plenty of attention..

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Yeah well they are a virus hotspot.

The rational, and I sort of agree with it, is that the rescue services are mostly volunteer, and hence older folk (certainly here they are mostly over 70), and it puts them at risk...

And nobody goes out thinking they'll need rescuing, but thousands a year do. :facepalm:

Chris.......