Really miss not being able to go boating !

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
This lock down over here in the U.K. is a real nightmare. So hard not being able to go boating...especially after waiting all winter. I’m going to have to wait to hear this noise again, for a little while yet !! Miss the primeval noise of this wee thing !!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/URroFWkCrhZfkTmQ9

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Get yourself a beverage of choice or so and go out and sit in it. Do something constructive, like re-spool some of your fishing rods, or clean out your tackle box. Get out some soap and water and wash it and if still feel peppy, wax it. Use your imagination. I don't know what the lockdown means there. Here they just say stay home if you feel ill and if out, stay 6' away from others, practice good hygiene and common sense stuff. Gotta be creative with the toilet paper. Some derelict popped off, thinking he was funny and said something about stocking up on TP and the country went nuts. Costco has an ad on their site that says no refunds on several items and the first on the list is TP. Herd (like in cows) mentality.

The Force power

Commander
Here in Canada all Malls,Restaurant,Bars(except take-out) are closed. only essential businesses are allowed to work.
QBhoy you raised a good question regarding this, although its too early in the season for us to drop a boat in the water; what will this mean for us??:canada:

roffey

Commander
I can't see how or why boating will be affected.. Like mentioned above lots of places are closed but you can still go out side and what is more out side than boating?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I can't see how or why boating will be affected.. Like mentioned above lots of places are closed but you can still go out side and what is more out side than boating?

It’s affected just now. All marinas are closed. All leisure towing are getting fined and stopped by the police.

My marina boat yard where the boat is is locked up, as are all others. Can’t get near it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

At serious Government Lock Downs won't make it any further from from home sweet home to any marina as streets will be closed with barricades, patrolled by police or even with armed forces men who with a unfriendly face tell U....

Coronavirus.JPG

Return immediately to your home and stay there, MF....

Happy Boating

ahicks

Captain
I doubt it will get like that here. Most "shelter in place" compliance is done on a voluntary basis stateside. I do hope they don't get too asinine regarding our ability to go boating here.

If that situation really starts getting you down, consider this - That situation pales when compared to individuals in assisted care facilities for instance. Those folks are having a really tough go of it. They've gone from a situation where the one activity they have, socialization/talking with friends, is highly encouraged, to confined to your room with no chance of visitors. Meals are brought to your doorway on a plastic tray. Talk about a right to be grumpy.....

Other tough scenarios - loosing your battle with the virus alone in a hospital bed because of the no visitors allowed policy, loved ones not being able to attend a funeral, those with a fortune tied up in large wedding plans, etc. etc. etc.

So when it get's down to it, loosing a season of boating really isn't that big a deal. Like the rest of this, it's just something we need to get through and put behind us. Nobody's asking us to like it....

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I doubt it will get like that here. Most "shelter in place" compliance is done on a voluntary basis stateside. I do hope they don't get too asinine regarding our ability to go boating here.

If that situation really starts getting you down, consider this - That situation pales when compared to individuals in assisted care facilities for instance. Those folks are having a really tough go of it. They've gone from a situation where the one activity they have, socialization/talking with friends, is highly encouraged, to confined to your room with no chance of visitors. Meals are brought to your doorway on a plastic tray. Talk about a right to be grumpy.....

Other tough scenarios - loosing your battle with the virus alone in a hospital bed because of the no visitors allowed policy, loved ones not being able to attend a funeral, those with a fortune tied up in large wedding plans, etc. etc. etc.

So when it get's down to it, loosing a season of boating really isn't that big a deal. Like the rest of this, it's just something we need to get through and put behind us. Nobody's asking us to like it....

Exactly. Small price to pay. As many have said here. Just over 100 years ago and just over 70 years ago, we were asked to go to war to save lives. All we are being asked to do is sit at home for a few weeks. Just need to get it done.

The Force power

Commander

I was kinda referring to Marinas and....we'll never know what they come up with "next":noidea:
for example; you're 10 x more susceptible to the virus being exposed to lake/river water
:facepalm:

roffey

Commander
you're 10 x more susceptible to the virus being exposed to lake/river water

I did not know that. I was under the impression its was germs that people would cough out or rub their eyes getting it on their hands and then on what ever they touch. I did not think it could survive in water. Im on a lake and I get my gas from the service station. Im thinking or at lest hoping I will be able to go back to the cottage and self isolate.

Lets hope we all get over this with just stories to tell our grand kids.

The Force power

Commander
Don't take snips of my words; this is what I said;
we'll never know what they come up with "next":noidea:
for example; you're 10 x more susceptible to the virus being exposed to lake/river water

meant as an example....This does NOT meant this is TRUE

roffey

Commander
ok, got it, your right I miss understood what you were saying. Yes I agree only time will tell what's ahead of us.

The Force power

Commander
I don't want to be a pessimist but my wife is in healthcare and she said we're not even close to getting back to our "old life"
we're just now in the eye of the storm despite of what our leaders say

I hope she's wrong:frown:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
At serious Government Lock Downs won't make it any further from from home sweet home to any marina as streets will be closed with barricades, patrolled by police or even with armed forces men who with a unfriendly face tell U....

Return immediately to your home and stay there, MF....

Happy Boating

What if you need to go to the pharmacy to pick up your blood pressure meds, or to the market to get food?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
My social distancing IS my boat! Although a little too chilly yet, once the nighttemp temps are consistently above freezing, I'm going to social distance myself to the lake shack. My job is 100% telecommuting, and I have internet, a beach, and a boat!

See everyone in September!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Don't take snips of my words; this is what I said;
we'll never know what they come up with "next":noidea:

meant as an example....This does NOT meant this is TRUE

This exactly how rumours start.

I hear you mate about not being able to go boating. Don't say that to an employee that has been sent home and has no idea where they are going to get the money to pay the rent or cover the mortgage and where they are getting the cash for food. Or a business person who's livelihood is closed for who knows how long. Boating in this new world isn't exactly essential today.

The governor of Minnesota has expressly encouraged people to be outdoors and to go boating/fishing. Of course, only the rivers are ice-free so far. There aren't many marinas here, but just boat ramps for most of the lakes so less (but still some) chance of transmission. We are under a "stay-at-home" request, but that could always get more restrictive.

At the same time, they are asking folks here NOT to go to their cabins. They don't want those of us in metro areas (potentially infected already) travelling into rural areas, getting sick, and either spreading the virus or overloading the minimal health services in those rural areas.

I wish that there were cell/internet service up north, or I'd be there waiting for the ice-out to occur!

The Force power

Commander
My social distancing IS my boat! Although a little too chilly yet, once the nighttemp temps are consistently above freezing, I'm going to social distance myself to the lake shack. My job is 100% telecommuting, and I have internet, a beach, and a boat!

See everyone in September!

I wish we were that "lucky"
I'm in the trucking repair industry and considered essential & my wife is in healthcare they even suspended all vacation time for healthcare professionals.:censored: I guess the just want to burn them out:censored:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Here in Minnesota the DNR has not closed any public water landings, some counties however have.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Don't say that to an employee that has been sent home and has no idea where they are going to get the money to pay the rent or cover the mortgage and where they are getting the cash for food. Or a business person who's livelihood is closed for who knows how long. Boating in this new world isn't exactly essential today.

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

My Grandpa and Great Uncle owned a successful pharmaceutical company. They were some of the few in town that always bought new cars, and they both owned big homes. They lost everything in 1929. Grandpa carried on by taking odd jobs, eventually moving up to a store manager's position. Uncle didn't survive the ordeal.

In the early 1940's Grandpa's store closed and the whole family moved into a small cottage behind a waterfront mansion. Grandpa was hired as the caretaker. On December 8th, 1941 both his sons enlisted and left home. My Dad left his little fishing boat in Grandpa's care.

Grandpa used to go to church every single day and light 2 candles for his 2 boys. Then he would go out in Dad's boat and go fishing. At that time boating was absolutely essential to his mental health.

This too will pass. In the interim we need to do everything in our power to ensure that we don't get sick, and if we do, ensure that we don't pass it along.

If Grandpa were alive today I'm sure he would go fishing every day, and he would say that all this is just chicken ships in comparison.