1957 Fleetform Custom Restoration

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
Question on bracing my hull to replace the stringers. So, I am not going to be removing my top cap to replace the stringers. I WILL have to cut the seat bases out. Do ya'll think I still need to spend the time and expense of building some sort of cradle for the hull or will it stay in shape with the cap still intact? 14' length... pretty light.

Attachments

• photo314654.jpg
    photo314654.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo314657.jpg
    photo314657.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 0
  • photo314658.jpg
    photo314658.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo314854.jpg
    photo314854.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo314855.jpg
    photo314855.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 0

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
With leaving the cap not much chance of it spreading but you might add a bunk or two under the hull in any area you think it may move around while crawling around in it . The seats do seam like they are part of the over all structure ..
Btw, you have the cleanest garages I think I have ever seen ! :lol:

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
With leaving the cap not much chance of it spreading but you might add a bunk or two under the hull in any area you think it may move around while crawling around in it . The seats do seam like they are part of the over all structure ..
Btw, you have the cleanest garages I think I have ever seen ! :lol:

I guess better safe that sorry huh. I may do like you mentioned and add a bunk or two, but building a full cradle would be expensive and time consuming I think. I’ve been doing a lot of reading up on the materials that y’all have all helped me with. Think I’ve got a pretty good idea of what I’m going to need as far as the fiberglass goes. I feel a lot better about it than I did a couple of days ago. Still haven’t decided 100% on Coosa, seacast, or just plain old marine ply. I’m leaning toward seacast for the transom and Coosa for the stringers I think....maybe. And while I do appreciate the compliment on my garage, the picture where you can see my older brother “helping” me (drinking my cold beers) is where my wife parks. MY garage is in front of my daughters car to the right in the picture. It’s a much different story. Work happens there!! Is THIS more like a garage you were expecting??:facepalm: I like to keep myself busy as you can see. The wheeler is my sons project, but the bike and the golf cart are a couple that I’ve finished.

Attachments

• photo314863.jpg
    photo314863.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

xJLunaticx

Recruit
love how the project is coming, when you get to replacing seats, let me know how you decide to replace or rework them. I have a 57 Fleetform that I have had since 2012 that I have placed two swivel seats in the front and still have the bench in the back, but haven't decided on how exactly I want to go about reworking all the seating yet. Been using mine on the lake for past few years. Finally upgraded to bigger boat so now I can get back to working on this one. Mine has a 40hp force on it and runs about 35 wide open. Always get looks going down the river

Attachments

• photo315219.jpg
    photo315219.jpg
    788.5 KB · Views: 2

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
love how the project is coming, when you get to replacing seats, let me know how you decide to replace or rework them. I have a 57 Fleetform that I have had since 2012 that I have placed two swivel seats in the front and still have the bench in the back, but haven't decided on how exactly I want to go about reworking all the seating yet. Been using mine on the lake for past few years. Finally upgraded to bigger boat so now I can get back to working on this one. Mine has a 40hp force on it and runs about 35 wide open. Always get looks going down the river

I sure will xJ. I've been thinking on that a good bit and going through different builds on here just looking for ideas. Still not exactly sure how I want to go yet (...still wrestling with colors too for that matter) and I have some time while I get it all structurally sound. One of my biggest concerns is space. I wanted to put a couple of round backed swivel seats up front (similar to some that I've seen in bayliners), but not sure if they'll be too tall. I'm not crazy about the idea of having to step over a full bench seat back and onto the seat cusion when going from front to back. So I was thinking maybe some sort of bench seat with the back that has a cutout in the middle to step over the seat bottom? Just not sure yet. I'm a fairly big guy, so I think two buckets up front will end up being pretty close together to have enough room. I'm excited to see someone else with a Fleetform! I had never seen one before mine, but really like the look. As far as the looks on the river, that's exactly what I'm expecting. If you want to have a late model ski boat that really turns heads.... you better have some really deep pockets - they're everywhere! BUT..... not everyone has a supercool '57 Fleetform! I'm really looking forward to getting started on it. Not sure how much I'm going to be able to get done this summer. This time home I'm taking the family camping in Tennessee (First trip with my grand daughter!!!! :D), next time home my youngest starts college and I have to mover her on campus. Life happens I guess. I will definitely keep everyone updated though and I'm sure I will have a ton more questions.

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah.... Papa might put everything on hold for this one......:yo:

Attachments

• photo315403.jpg
    photo315403.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 0

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I got a feeling she’s gunna be asking for boat rides real soon !

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
very cool boat, cant wait to see it finished:)

Thanks a bunch. As I said before, not sure how much I'm gonna get to work on it this time off with summer and my youngest moving in to the dorms next time home, but I'll surely keep everyone posted. I got a bunch of parts in for the motor and steering, so so HOPEFULLY I can get the motor running and at least put her in the water the week after the 4th just to get an idea of how she's gonna sit in the water.

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
Man... it's been a while. I just read my last post and literally laughed out loud, in the water by July 4th..... what was I thinking???? I did get my baby moved into the dorms and she's doing great. And I did get a bunch of parts in..... then somehow lost/threw away $150 worth of them including a brand new set of NO LONGER AVAILABLE points and 2 fuel pump re-build kits with check valves :facepalm:. Finally found and re-ordered another set of new points and 2 more re-build kits and got them installed and set this week. She popped right off and ran like a sewing machine... THAT was a good feeling. Here is a link to the video if anyone cares to see :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYQKFj_tvpA

Next on the agenda is to replace the steering cable and pulleys, build a steering bracket for the motor, repair the wiring on the remote controls, get the trailer road worthy enough for a 4 mile round trip to Lake Buhlow, and THEN put her in the water to see how she floats. My concern is that with the heavier engine, she may sit too low in the aft. If so, my plan is to mount the fuel tank under the bow, which will require glassing in a mounting frame. I want to do all of the glass work at one time, so this is the next step to me. I do have a question though. I think the trailer is the original trailer and is a "tilt" trailer. I think I remember reading one of WOG's posts where he tried to load his boat on a tilt trailer at a ramp and the boat hit the trailer before it hit the bunks. This boat was last registered in 2002 and wouldn't think that the previous owner would still be winching the boat onto the trailer. Anyone have any experience with this that they could share with me? Do I need to modify it to be able to load the boat under power at a ramp? Just wanted to give an update so nobody thinks I gave up. Still working on it... just going a lot slower than anticipated!! Thanks everyone for any advice.

Attachments

• photo321398.jpg
    photo321398.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo321399.jpg
    photo321399.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 3
  • photo321400.jpg
    photo321400.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo321401.jpg
    photo321401.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo321402.jpg
    photo321402.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 3

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
I realize that I may be getting a little ahead of myself here, but I scored what I'm pretty sure is a 1949 Singer 201-2 for $20. I won't have a ton of upholstery, but I plan on attempting it myself with some help from the info on this forum. I'm not sure if it works or not, but I figured for $20 worst case scenario is I clean it up and use it as decoration!

Attachments

• photo321911.png
    photo321911.png
    669.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo321912.png
    photo321912.png
    563.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo321913.png
    photo321913.png
    627.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo321914.png
    photo321914.png
    677.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo321915.png
    photo321915.png
    653.6 KB · Views: 0

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's the one you want. Nice buy!

Thanks! I hope so. I did a bunch of reading about the characteristics of a 201 and I’m 99% sure that’s what it is. I won’t be home until the 28th to see it and I’m having a little trouble getting my crew to take more pictures of it and send them to me!! :confused: I had my son pick it up for me today after he got off of work and his girlfriend blew both drivers side tires out on her car, so he had to go take care of that. I guess I can’t be too hard on him. Never thought I’d be so excited over a sewing machine....must be showing my age :laugh: .

Getting powerfully close to starting the demo of my boat. I have GOT to put it in the water to see how it sits with the bigger engine before I do.

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
Reach out to Woodonglass Plethora of sewing knowledge!!

I am definitely trying to do that. I’m finding that a lot of his sewing advice is buried in other threads.....ha!!! See what I did there???.....so it’s time consuming. But I am digging! It was his counsel that let me to the 201. Thanks a bunch for the input!

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had a couple of days to work on the boat. Got the helm freed up, cleaned, and re-installed, steering bracket built and installed, tiller cable replaced, and the remote controls taken apart and cleaned up. Did some continuity checks on the switch and it seems a little flaky according to my meter, might have to replace that. Looked up the part # (30162 replaced by 54211T) ouch!!! $70! I found another for a mercury/mariner magneto ignition that has you push the key to choke for $30, but I'm not positive it'll work yet. Still studying on that a little. I do have a question though. After getting the steering put back together, it seems a little stiff. Not crazy stiff like takes two hands to turn it, but stiffer that I expected.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction here?? :laugh: The helm was frozen up when I got the boat and I've never felt a well functioning cable and drum system to compare. Do I have something wrong or the cables too tight... or is that normal??

Pics for proof...

IMG_2308.jpg
IMG_2310.jpg
IMG_2311.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2309.jpg
    IMG_2309.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2303.jpg
    IMG_2303.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2303.jpg
    IMG_2303.jpg
  • IMG_2303.jpg
    IMG_2303.jpg
  • IMG_2304.jpg
    IMG_2304.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2313.jpg
    IMG_2313.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2305.jpg
    IMG_2305.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2315.jpg
    IMG_2315.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2314.jpg
    IMG_2314.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2316.jpg
    IMG_2316.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 3

briangcc

Commander
Brand new cable? It'll probably be a little stiff for a while until the sheath relaxes a bit.

That being said....my yearly job on my MFG was to go to each of the pulleys and shoot some WD40 on them to lube them up. Otherwise the steering would be really stiff. So...if you haven't already, you might want to lube up your steering pulleys and see where that gets ya.