1955 Plywood Bryant PROJECT

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am wondering if anyone has seen one of these (Bryant all wood 18' ski boat with windshield early 60's) or know information... So far on the research I have found is Bryant was a mfg out of the seattle area.. But I have no idea if these where in production for long. I cannot find much on the net. I am planning on bringing this home in few weeks from the family farm where it has been sitting under tarp and dust for over 40 years.. I believe it has been ran only few times.. I know it will probly be a project, But curious if anyone has seen one or know where I might find some info.. The pictures does not show you much... I will attempt to get more pictures once its home..

sg5mye.jpg

14kfytl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Anyone Know on this one?

The Mariners Museum is a very resourceful place when it comes to older wooden boats. They are helping me out a lot with my Chris Craft, going so far as to mail me the original build plans, and factory info. If you give them a call, they might be able to tell you more about your boat.

bananaboater

Ensign

Looking forward to seeing the whole boat, hurry up! :)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Plywood boats, boy does that bring back fond memories of days long past! My 1st boat was a 12' plywood runabout with an 1956/57 18hp Evinrude.

I too would enjoy seeing the whole boat.

red frontier

Cadet

Is that a Golden Jublie Evinrude 35hp. Great find? Lets see some pics.

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info on Mariners museum, I will check into that.. I am excited about getting it. This boat has been sitting for years in the family and I have always been curious about it. My plan was to find a car trailer and tow it back which is a 8 hr drive. But, I might be able to get the boat trailer to the point that I can get it to a shop or replace bearings and seals myself so I can make the long distance travel back to my house. When I took the pictures I remember the boat in good condition and needs a cleaning. The wood protection was in fair condition throughout. The worst area was the corner of the stern where I took the picture that says BRYANT. The clear coat is peeling. I will update pictures in few weeks when I get back. I know nothing on this, so this will be a interesting to find out what you guys tell me and what I find out later on my own..

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

O.k I have it home .... I had to replace everything under the trailer. bearings , hubs , tires ect.. Cost few dollars... but this is what it looks like..

2utjk2w.jpg

4q2c13.jpg

25501gw.jpg

30bclxi.jpg

2cyk1ur.jpg

2eyf5dz.jpg

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now that I have it home... I need some suggestions.. The Plywood has some damage to it... Its been sitting for 30 years.. Do I Varnish the plywood or do I glass,,, I am not sure how to fix this..

2moqtg3.jpg

npmjqb.jpg

23vc01t.jpg

what do I do?

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always love looking at old wood boats...eye candy...thankyou for showing
us some pics:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nice find! You could glass but I would NOT! From what your pictures show that is typical checkering of the ply. Careful sanding and filling and then mulitiple coats of Epiphanes spar varnish and she will look as good as new. I can't believe the seats are still there. WOW!!! She will be a Beaut when you get done. More pics of the interior and the deck and the transom and EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks woodonglass.. I really need the suggestions here.. I do not want to mess this up.. This boat is in excellent condition for the age.. everything is looking great.. just been sitting so long. Im suprise the mice did not make a mess out of things. From what I understand.. My uncle bought the boat and then it sat. everyone is saying that he had the boat in the water few times only.. I do know, it has been sitting under that tarp for 30+ years.. I do not know at this time if it was used or not.. the horn squeeze bulb was damaged.. I am hoping the motor is still good.. will know more when I come back from work and really start picking at it. In the last two days.. I have spent most of my time getting it road ready to bring it home 400 miles. I did not see any signs of rot anywhere. My most concern is the plywood and fixing it to look great at this time.. So if its just varnish and sanding... I am off to great start... Thanks Woodonglass...

bananaboater

Ensign

That is a beauty. Definitely do not glass. And keep all the original signage on boat. There are some wooden boat schools around the nation. Are you near one?

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had some time today to clean the boat a little more.. Also, Placed the boat in the water to see if there where any leaks. AND.... No major leaks.. some water but very little. Not bad since it has not touched water in years.. This boat came from the family farm.. Talking to my Mom last night she remembers her brother taking it out only a few times.. She seems to think its been at least 40 years of sitting in the barn.. Today.. I washed it down inside to get all the dust and dirt out and wiped it down.. Did use Lemon Pledge on the wood and it seemed to make big difference. I am wondering if using some type of wood oil would help anymore.. I have not messed with the motor yet. That will come.. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the Checking in some areas. I have posted some pics..

2muk9.jpg

124j72d.jpg

j0b1ph.jpg

1671f13.jpg

2n8dg0y.jpg

2el769j.jpg

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I would have to agree that that is a beautiful find and looks to be in excellant shape. May even be worth the cost to have it professionally done as those things become more rare with the years. Especially sense it is a complete vintage piece. Also it shouldn't take much to get that old Evinrude to run and parts are readily available.

Read the "Waking a Sleeping Outboard" in the FAQ Engines forum.

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info on the "Waking Sleeping Motors" that is what I was looking for next... I think I have a pretty good start on this project. I spent the evening polishing the Chrome.. It looks great... I KNOW! but could not help myself.. I think with little TLC in areas and motor checked I should have it on the water again .. Taking my time on this one.. I have a few people to contact still. but so far, most are saying "little light sanding in areas and varnish hull few times"

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have started the process a few days ago.. I started stripping the boat down.. I have been talking to few individuals and I agree I need to keep the boat as original as possible. Im not going to strip the boat down to the wood.. I want to keep it as is.. but need to protect it.. I have taken all the aluminum strips off and chrome along with windshield. I will be placing several coats of varnish on the boat.. After several hours of cleaning and very light sanding I have the first coat of varnish down.. Im in the process of cleaning the aluminum trim also.. With patients and lots of sanding it looks like the aluminum will shine up pretty good. I have one piece close to done with lots to do on the others...

2dma883.jpg

2j2d9qs.jpg

2wolnix.jpg

2w559g9.jpg

2w559g9.jpg

:)

XateEsix

Seaman Apprentice

Mthurier,

Great find! I love the look of of everything on that boat. It looks like its barely a few years off of the production line. I am sure it will be a real eye catcher on the water!

I can't wait to see more!

John

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW! That is beautiful! I want to see a pic of it sitting in the water. That is one pretty boat.

Stampeder

Seaman Apprentice

Mthuirer:

I agree you made the score of the century.
To bring back to life a family heirloom like that is the dream of a lifetime.
You even have the original Evenrude outboard. Looks like it is about a 25 to 30 horse?
That boat has ribbon mohoganny plywood. I remember tooling around the lakes on one identical to that. By the way you just don't see ribbon mohoganny anymore, at least not like that.
Please don't glass it as others have said. These old boats are too good and precious for that!! Nothing sounds as good as a wooden power boat on the water.
Good luck with your endeavour and keep the pictures coming. It brings back very fond memories.

Glenn.

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, The motor is a 35hp. I have not messed with it yet.. I am hoping I will be able to get it running.. I even have a 1956 evinrude kicker that was sitting next to the boat on the farm.. That motor also appears to be in good condition..