Poor Man Restoration - 1979 Marquis Catalina

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Poor Man Restoration - 1979 Marquis Catalina

Got one more thing completed today. Up until now I haven't come up with a good name for the boat. After going over a list with my wife, she didn't like any of them. She said "I think it should be named Mistress since you're spending more time and money on her." lol. I said you know...that's pretty good, but lets go with this:

MissStress

So there we have it. Her name is going to be MissStress. But before I do that, I'll have to go through the re-naming ceremony once I get her in the water. Not really superstitious, but why take a chance. ;)

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just started reading this thread for the first time. Nice work so far! I especially like how well the trailer turned out. I can't wait to see what the finished boat looks like :)

SeaHorseJW-19M

Seaman Apprentice

Thought I would just say hello ,keep up the good work,I just look at the different restore projects going on in the forums,maybe if one day I'll be inspired by you guys to try one myself,never know take care, Alex :)

FBPirate95

Just started reading this thread for the first time. Nice work so far! I especially like how well the trailer turned out. I can't wait to see what the finished boat looks like :)

Thanks! By the looks of your signature thread, you've got a nice project on your hands. Good luck with your new boat.

FBPirate95

Thought I would just say hello ,keep up the good work,I just look at the different restore projects going on in the forums,maybe if one day I'll be inspired by you guys to try one myself,never know take care, Alex :)

Thanks for saying hi. Just remember, when you're thinking about these project threads as "inspiration" don't forget about the "perspiration" you'll be going through. LOL.

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! By the looks of your signature thread, you've got a nice project on your hands. Good luck with your new boat.

Haha, thanks I'll need all the luck I can get :D

Kiwifisher

Seaman

Hi there,

Nice job so far. Just a quick question for you, what was the condition of the stringers like? With the transom so rotten away I'll be surprised if your stringers were all ok.

Cheers

FBPirate95

Hi there,

Nice job so far. Just a quick question for you, what was the condition of the stringers like? With the transom so rotten away I'll be surprised if your stringers were all ok.

Cheers

To be honest, I didn't fully investigate that. Once I pulled the carpet out, I could see that the floor had been cut out and was replaced with a new sheet of plywood. Also, from the bildge area, I could see (at least some of the stringers) were replaced when the deck was cut out. The interesting thing was whoever cut it out, didn't add a layer of glass the floor repair. They did however cover the replacement stingers in glass. The repair appears to be less than 5 years old.

I weigh about 260lbs and there isn't a single soft spot on the deck when I walk on it. Granted I'm making an assumption that the repair they did was sufficient. But I'm not looking to get a lifetime out of this boat. I'm just looking to get at least 5 or 6 years out of it. If it lasts longer than that great, but I hope I'll be able to upgrade when my wife gets out of school.

FBPirate95

Just playing around today in between meetings and I've come up with this design to mount on the stern.

sg1.jpg

FBPirate95

I got my order of Durabak in today. Not too bad of a delivery. I ordered it on July 1st, and it got here today. I'd say that's pretty good for a holiday weekend too.

Today I've gotten very close to finishing glassing in everything I wanted to do. Then I'll be sanding and prepping for the Durabak.

My transom cutouts have also cured and are ready for me to coat them with a layer of woven glass and epoxy resin.

Looks like I've got a good amount of work to try and finish this weekend. I haven't checked the weather, but I hope it doesn't rain.

I posted this question on another thread, but never really got a clear answer. What's the best way to adhere the transom replacement to the inside of the hull? I've heard of people using PL construction glue to do it, and also heard of using resin to glue it in. I'm not quite sure what's going to work out best for me since I'm sliding the wood into the cut out I made on the splashwell.

Anyone have any advise?

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello, I just wanted to stop by your thread and say thanks for your comment on mine. Very interesting thread you have here. I must say I love the name you have chosen. It is very fitting isn't it. Keep up the fantastic work. I cant wait to see more pics. Scott

FBPirate95

Yesterday I was able to laminate the two pieces of plywood together using the epoxy and a layer of woven mat between them. The epoxy mixed well and went on easily. Today, I added an outer layer of glass and epoxy to one side.

IMG_0026.jpg

This is the materials I used. The two part epoxy is from RotDoctor.com. Its a 50/50 mixture that allows for up to 20% volume difference of each component without sacrificing the strength when it sets up. So very easy to use. Even so, I still use two separate containers to measure out the material. I got the ones with lids so I could reuse the containers each time.

One thing to note is the gloves. I use nitrile gloves since they are pretty resistant to almost any chemical you use. After an incident I had with some polyester resin, which ended up covering my hands, I HIGHLY recommend the use of gloves. (that was not a pretty event!)

IMG_0028.jpg

And here is the wetted in glass. I decided to add the marker to recognize how useful iboats has been in this project, who the work was done by, and when it was done. I must say I like how well the epoxy levels out and gives a pretty smooth finish.

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love the marker idea. I have been trying to think up a way to mark my project as well. I wont use your idea as to keep it unique to you. But i will mark my project somehow.

FBPirate95

I love the marker idea. I have been trying to think up a way to mark my project as well. I wont use your idea as to keep it unique to you. But i will mark my project somehow.

If you print it, make sure you do it on a laser printer and not an inkjet. Inkjets will run when you add the epoxy.

FBPirate95

I was able to get both layers of outer glass and epoxy put on the transom ply's today. However, I did experience a near catastrophe. I took the motor stand over to my parents today to get the outboard off of the davit. We got it up and mounted on the stand, strapped in and I headed out. A couple of miles down the road I looked back and could see that the 2x6's that the outboard was mounted to had pulled loose from one of the risers. I pulled over and inspected it and found the decking screws had pulled out, as well as the glued wood had come apart. I turned around and eased back to my parents. As I pulled in their driveway, the other side gave loose and nearly dropped the outboard out of the trailer. I was able to get it back over to the davit and lifted without any damage. I'm going to through drill the 2x6's and risers, then install carriage bolts to see if that gives it enough strength.

Talk about a close one.:eek:

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought about naming my boat "The Forum" What do think? Crappy deal about almost loosing your motor. Looks like the lord was smiling on you that day my friend.

FBPirate95

I thought about naming my boat "The Forum" What do think? Crappy deal about almost loosing your motor. Looks like the lord was smiling on you that day my friend.

Post more pictures on your thread of the boat. Let us take a good look at her before we comment on your potential name.

FBPirate95

I made some modifications to the outboard stand, and was able to get the motor home with no problems.

IMG_0103.jpg

As you can see in the pic, the major modification I made to fix the near disaster I had the other day was to install bolts through the 2x6's and tightening them down, instead of relying on screws. What you can't see is I also added a couple of long lag bolts through the base into the uprights.

IMG_0105.jpg

Now that I have the motor home, I can start sanding it and prepping it for paint. I also have a few mechanical issues I need to take care of like changing the lower unit, removing the VRO and replacing it with a pre-mix pump, and some minor tinkering.

FBPirate95

I was able to finish my control box tonight. When I started it was in pretty rough shape. I took it completely apart, cleaned it out, and repainted. Putting it back together was a little difficult since I tore it apart weeks ago. The ol' memory wasn't serving me too well. Luckily I took pictures just in case that happen. I was able to use my pictures and the diagrams on the BRP site to get it back together.

Before:

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

After:

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

I used Rustoleum paint on the box itself, and Krylon Fusion paint for the handle and other various plastic parts. What you see are all the same parts, just spruced up.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice work!