90% sure ill be a new owner of a boat tomorrow :)

kriegersa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
well here's the pictures of it, its a 14' tomboy, with 25 Johnson, trolling, live well, 2 seats, depth finder, new tires on the trailer.
all for 1,295 (hopefully a little lower)

so how do you think i did? going to test drive it tomorrow, and see how she runs. and cross your fingers that ill be bringing her home tomorrow :D. so this is my first boat and I'm only 20 yrs old so I'm pretty stoked about it. :)

tomboy.jpg

tomboy 2.jpg

tomboy 3.jpg

tomboy 4.jpg

tomboy 5.jpg

steven_p

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 90% sure ill be a new owner of a boat tomorrow :)

Looks like there may be a lot of good fishing in your future :)

kriegersa

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Haaaa nothing like your first.:D

lets pray that i get it though, lol, my bank has been messing up my account recently... go figure, the one weekend that i need the cash lol:eek:

Looks like there may be a lot of good fishing in your future :)

I hope so, cause that's really what im buying it for and maybe my gf will actually catch something this time :):D

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a VERY similar boat. 14 ft Tom-Boy with a 35 HP Johnson. Serious deck and transom issues. Mine had a side console, and a casting deck up front. Same exact color. It looks like someone took my boat and pulled out the console and front deck. Be very careful about the Transom. It looks like someone took the deck off from mine and put a smaller motor on it (a good thing because mine had a problem with the lower unit seals). Where are you located at?

TerryMSU

Attachments

• April 6 009A.JPG
    April 6 009A.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
  • April 6 011A.JPG
    April 6 011A.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 345.JPG
    345.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 0
  • 344.JPG
    344.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 0

kriegersa

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a VERY similar boat. 14 ft Tom-Boy with a 35 HP Johnson. Serious deck and transom issues. Mine had a side console, and a casting deck up front. Same exact color. It looks like someone took my boat and pulled out the console and front deck. Be very careful about the Transom. It looks like someone took the deck off from mine and put a smaller motor on it (a good thing because mine had a problem with the lower unit seals). Where are you located at?

TerryMSU

wow sorry to hear that.

i live in Alabama, and im buying the boat from a dealer, one owner and they said they had all the info on the previous owner.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check it out 100%. what is the troller? for the package not a bad price.

PhilfromOhio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good luck with the new boat. Looks nice, just make sure you check
that transom and floor.

ziggy

Admiral

and im buying the boat from a dealer, one owner and they said they had all the info on the previous owner.
be careful. while there are some honest people out there. there are many who are not. remember, their goal is to sell for as much as they can. basically. don't believe anything a seller says about the boat unless you confirm it yourself.
fwiw. my boat was a consignment sale from a dealer. in the end what he said was true. but i found that out only after not believing anything he said and checking everything out myself..
good luck man. hope it turns out for you..

kriegersa

Petty Officer 3rd Class

check it out 100%. what is the troller? for the package not a bad price.

I really have no idea, i just know it comes with SOME KIND of trolling motor lol :p

Good luck with the new boat. Looks nice, just make sure you check
that transom and floor.
yeah. what should i look for in the transom? obvious wear and tear?
and i know to look for soft spots in the floor, but anything else i need to worry about when i go and check it out today?

be careful. while there are some honest people out there. there are many who are not. remember, their goal is to sell for as much as they can. basically. don't believe anything a seller says about the boat unless you confirm it yourself.
fwiw. my boat was a consignment sale from a dealer. in the end what he said was true. but i found that out only after not believing anything he said and checking everything out myself..
good luck man. hope it turns out for you..

thanks! i will be careful, if weather permits, im going to take it out on the lake before i buy it. just so i make sure their arent any holes/cracks as its a fiber glass boat.

PhilfromOhio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you have a rubber mallot, take it and bang on he transom, it is a real "neandrathalic" way of checking, but if it feels soft when you hit it or sounds hollow it may be a bad sign, also, look for stress cracks around the rear of the boat near where the cap corners around the transom. and also stress cracks on the floor,water loves stress cracks. If at all possible check the stringers as well if you can see them. Usually not. Another good way to check the wood on the transom, is if there eye's or any brackets screwed into the transom, simply unbolt them abd see if there is rotten wood imbeded in the threads. Where there are areas where the transom has been drilled or compromised in any way, you can almost bet theres water..

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

congrates and good luck. nice looking boat.

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Congrats on the boat man. Im from Alabama also (Trussville). What part of 'Bama are you from Krieg? What lake are you going to be fishing?

waterinthefuel

Commander

I think that price is a little steep for that old boat. That engine is really old. I would personally not offer any more than about 700 for it.

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great pictures...looks like both hull and motor have done a lot of fishing (this is good for a first boat). Spend whatever you feel comfortable spending, as long as it runs and rides good. You are going to learn a lot having your own boat.

At 20 years of age, this will not be your last boat.

Enjoy! Most-Everybody here is cheering you on...

(remember to take a Safe Boating course, even if not required in your state):)

kriegersa

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you have a rubber mallot, take it and bang on he transom, it is a real "neandrathalic" way of checking, but if it feels soft when you hit it or sounds hollow it may be a bad sign, also, look for stress cracks around the rear of the boat near where the cap corners around the transom. and also stress cracks on the floor,water loves stress cracks. If at all possible check the stringers as well if you can see them. Usually not. Another good way to check the wood on the transom, is if there eye's or any brackets screwed into the transom, simply unbolt them abd see if there is rotten wood imbeded in the threads. Where there are areas where the transom has been drilled or compromised in any way, you can almost bet theres water..

thanks for the advice!

congrates and good luck. nice looking boat.

thanks but the dealer sold it and didn't care to call me to let me know that he sold it....

Congrats on the boat man. Im from Alabama also (Trussville). What part of 'Bama are you from Krieg? What lake are you going to be fishing?

I live in Madison Alabama, and ill probably be taking it to guntersville or there's some water in Decatur that might be good. when i do get one lol.

Great pictures...looks like both hull and motor have done a lot of fishing (this is good for a first boat). Spend whatever you feel comfortable spending, as long as it runs and rides good. You are going to learn a lot having your own boat.

At 20 years of age, this will not be your last boat.

Enjoy! Most-Everybody here is cheering you on...

(remember to take a Safe Boating course, even if not required in your state):)

yeah i feel very fortinate to be able to look at buying a boat (with my own hard earned money might i add) while paying each semester off, and also making $140 dollar payments on one student loan.

high-five for free living at parents house :):cool::D

thanks everyone for your replies. now i have another question. there is another boat at the same place its a: 14ft flatbottom with 7.5 motor. and also TROLLING MOTOR, DEPTH FINDER, BATTERY TRAILER. all for 995.00 what do you think about that? is that good enough to take out on a lake and get me where i want to go without spending all day to get there?

thats what im really worried about, is the engine large enough. because i want to spend a day fishing on the water not driving on it if you know what im saying.

so whats yalls inputs about this? whats a good HP that i should look for in a 14-16ft boat with 2 people in it that will be able to put the boat on a plane, or at the least be able to get there relatively quick.

see my budget is about $1,000-1,200 and that's pushing it a little. but i want to get a boat before the boating season is up for the year ya know?

kriegersa

Petty Officer 3rd Class

also i was wondering if it says it has a livewell can i assume it has an aerator in it? or is an aerator required to keep fish alive?

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Can't say, given the limited information in your post. Watch Craigslist. At that price point, I would stay away from fiberglass. Jon style aluminum is a safe bet. Try to stay at about 70% of the rated horsepower for your hull for best safe performance. That said, how much speed you need depends on the size of the lake. Small lake means that you don't need a lot of speed.

One other thought. Many lakes limit you to less than 10Hp. That is why there are so many small boats out there with 9.9HP motors.

Good luck.
TerryMSU

kriegersa

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can't say, given the limited information in your post. Watch Craigslist. At that price point, I would stay away from fiberglass. Jon style aluminum is a safe bet. Try to stay at about 70% of the rated horsepower for your hull for best safe performance. That said, how much speed you need depends on the size of the lake. Small lake means that you don't need a lot of speed.

One other thought. Many lakes limit you to less than 10Hp. That is why there are so many small boats out there with 9.9HP motors.

Good luck.
TerryMSU

thanks terry. and lake Guntersville is quite a large lake i dont know exact measurements but it appears rather big. i guess my question is how powerful are sub (below) 10 horse motors?