How to deal with unintended acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How to deal with unintended acceleration

This thread is just meant to start a discussion about what to do if faced with "UA".

Well... you should put the can in neutral, apply the brakes and shut the ignition off.... of course this is waaaaaay too much for some people to figure out I'm sure. :D

Thats an interesting article... Here is an FYI about cars brakes. Toyota (along with all the other brands) test there brake systems at 70 mph with the throttle pinned and a foot on the brake pedal. If it stops while wide open at 70 mph in a reasonable distance, it passes... if it doesn't they go back to the drawing board.

These tests started after GM recalled 7 million vehicles for faulty engine mounts that caused the throttle to snap wide open back in the 70's.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Push in the clutch, hit the brakes and turn the truck off?

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Well... you should put the can in neutral, apply the brakes and shut the ignition off.... of course this is waaaaaay too much for some people to figure out I'm sure. :D.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Good article......

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

During the off season carry the boat anchor and rope with you.:D:D

Jeep Man

Commander

Putting a police cruiser in my rear view mirror ALWAYS fixes my unintentional acceleration:D:D

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

Putting a police cruiser in my rear view mirror ALWAYS fixes my unintentional acceleration:D:D

isn't it funny how that works. my vehicles have the same problem. :eek:

dolluper

Captain

Or wear heavifer boots it will make you slower walking 4sure

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

the one famaily that died was a state trooper and he was on the phone when it happened in a toyota

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I was a victim of unintended acceleration.
We had a BMW 5 series and had picked it up from service just that day. In the evening, my wife and I went out to dinner for our anniversary. While the car was my wifes daily driver, I decided to drive this time (hey, I'm the man). We went thru our little town, even stopped at a couple traffic lights without a problem.
Once out of town, the road was twisty and went up a long hill. I accelerated normally and reached a straight area (still going uphill). At this point I had the car in high gear (5 speed manual).
Well, as SOON as I eased off the gas pedal to maintain the proper speed, the car didn't respond- it continued to run faster! Instinctively, I hit the brakes, but the engine was more powerful than the brakes. Remember, I'm still going uphill!
I had no choice but to either push in the clutch or turn off the key. I knew if I pushed in the clutch, the engine would over-rev and blow within 10 seconds. I decided to try the key. The engine started to shut down but the problem was that another turn was coming up and I realized that with the key off, the steering would lock as soon as I turned. I braked hard to scrub some speed and flipped the key on briefly to enable me to turn. Every time I turned the key the engine would race again, so I had no choice but to work the key, steering wheel and brakes intermittently for about a half mile until I could pull safely off the road. We were both sweating profusely! The car was smoking a little from the brakes.
I popped the hood to find the fuel injector shroud displaced. It had wedged itself directly into the throttle linkage, causing the engine to race. I easily re-set and secured the shroud in about 30 seconds. Started the car and it was A-OK. We considered going back home for the other car but we decided to just keep driving, albeit very carefully.
My wife told me at dinner that if she had been driving, we would have definitely crashed because she wouldn't have known what to do.
And when I called the repair shop- well, all they said was 'sorry.' Gotta wonder if they would've paid for collision damage if we had taken a header into a tree. Needless to say, I don't go there anymore

skargo

Banned

the one famaily that died was a state trooper and he was on the phone when it happened in a toyota

He was on the phone to 911. It's a confusing case. Why didn't he put it in neutral? Why didn't he know to hold the pushbutton start in for 3 seconds. Supposedly every car made these days will stop if you stand on the brakes if the car is going under 70mph. A lot of questions in that case for sure!

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

He was on the phone to 911. It's a confusing case. Why didn't he put it in neutral? Why didn't he know to hold the pushbutton start in for 3 seconds. Supposedly every car made these days will stop if you stand on the brakes if the car is going under 70mph. A lot of questions in that case for sure!

He wasn't on the phone. Someone else was. The 911 operator told them to place the shifter in neutral, but they never did it.

That particular Lexus will stop from 100 mph with the accelerator wide open with the brakes depressed. It also will come out of drive and go into neutral while wide open and it will shut off with the button at WOT.

My guess is the cop and passengers are dead because he panicked. He was trained as a cop to think wisely under pressure and he failed. Sure its tragic, but sometimes stuff happens. If I was a betting man (which I am), I would say he was tapping the stop/start button which does nothing in a Lexus.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I knew if I pushed in the clutch, the engine would over-rev and blow within 10 seconds. I decided to try the key.

Pretty much every car with EFI (BMW 5 Series included) has a rev limiter that is set well below the point of self destruction.

Shutting the car off first in a sudden unintended acceleration situation is the wrong thing to do. In order to keep control, you need power brakes & steering. Placing the car in neutral is the correct first step. Get the car off the road and stopped and then worry about the engine.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I was a victim of unintended acceleration.
We had a BMW 5 series and had picked it up from service just that day. In the evening, my wife and I went out to dinner for our anniversary. While the car was my wifes daily driver, I decided to drive this time (hey, I'm the man). We went thru our little town, even stopped at a couple traffic lights without a problem.
Once out of town, the road was twisty and went up a long hill. I accelerated normally and reached a straight area (still going uphill). At this point I had the car in high gear (5 speed manual).
Well, as SOON as I eased off the gas pedal to maintain the proper speed, the car didn't respond- it continued to run faster! Instinctively, I hit the brakes, but the engine was more powerful than the brakes. Remember, I'm still going uphill!
I had no choice but to either push in the clutch or turn off the key. I knew if I pushed in the clutch, the engine would over-rev and blow within 10 seconds. I decided to try the key. The engine started to shut down but the problem was that another turn was coming up and I realized that with the key off, the steering would lock as soon as I turned. I braked hard to scrub some speed and flipped the key on briefly to enable me to turn. Every time I turned the key the engine would race again, so I had no choice but to work the key, steering wheel and brakes intermittently for about a half mile until I could pull safely off the road. We were both sweating profusely! The car was smoking a little from the brakes.
I popped the hood to find the fuel injector shroud displaced. It had wedged itself directly into the throttle linkage, causing the engine to race. I easily re-set and secured the shroud in about 30 seconds. Started the car and it was A-OK. We considered going back home for the other car but we decided to just keep driving, albeit very carefully.
My wife told me at dinner that if she had been driving, we would have definitely crashed because she wouldn't have known what to do.
And when I called the repair shop- well, all they said was 'sorry.' Gotta wonder if they would've paid for collision damage if we had taken a header into a tree. Needless to say, I don't go there anymore

Find several points in your story ... umm .. hard to believe.

"Instinctively, I hit the brakes, but the engine was more powerful than the brakes."

Multiple tests on many brands of autos have proved that the brakes will stop you.
Doubt that BMW would offer less effective brake systems than everyone else.

" I knew if I pushed in the clutch, the engine would over-rev and blow within 10 seconds."

It will only rev till it hits the rev limiter.

""and I realized that with the key off, the steering would lock as soon as I turned. "

Not if you turned off the ignition, only if you turned it to the lock position.

Cars are designed to steer and brake with the ignition off. Read your owners manuals.
As a matter of fact, this was part of my drivers ed course some 31 years ago.
Turning off the ignition is what is recommended.
Steering will be stiffer, and braking will require more pressure, but they will work.

I wonder what people would think if they reintroduced vehicles without power steering or brakes again.

Had to prove this to two friends last night.
Made a left turn, and then a right turn into a parking lot, drove through the parking lot and parked, all with the ignition off.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

You think maybe some folks at GM, Ford & Chrysler are just lovin' this situation?

???

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

No, it puts a layer of distrust over the entire industry.

skargo

Banned

He wasn't on the phone. Someone else was. The 911 operator told them to place the shifter in neutral, but they never did it.

That particular Lexus will stop from 100 mph with the accelerator wide open with the brakes depressed. It also will come out of drive and go into neutral while wide open and it will shut off with the button at WOT.

My guess is the cop and passengers are dead because he panicked. He was trained as a cop to think wisely under pressure and he failed. Sure its tragic, but sometimes stuff happens. If I was a betting man (which I am), I would say he was tapping the stop/start button which does nothing in a Lexus.

I agree 100%. I just wanted to let the other guy know who I replied to that it wasn't a case of someone just being on the phone.

As for it stopping from 100mph, it would have if he'd have stood on the brakes, but I bet he applied them like in a normal situation, and quickly smoked them, rendering them useless.
It's confounding he couldn't figure it out, and terribly sad.

skargo

Banned

Find several points in your story ... umm .. hard to believe.

"Instinctively, I hit the brakes, but the engine was more powerful than the brakes."

Multiple tests on many brands of autos have proved that the brakes will stop you.
Doubt that BMW would offer less effective brake systems than everyone else.

" I knew if I pushed in the clutch, the engine would over-rev and blow within 10 seconds."

It will only rev till it hits the rev limiter.

""and I realized that with the key off, the steering would lock as soon as I turned. "

Not if you turned off the ignition, only if you turned it to the lock position.

Cars are designed to steer and brake with the ignition off. Read your owners manuals.
As a matter of fact, this was part of my drivers ed course some 31 years ago.
Turning off the ignition is what is recommended.
Steering will be stiffer, and braking will require more pressure, but they will work.

I wonder what people would think if they reintroduced vehicles without power steering or brakes again.

Had to prove this to two friends last night.
Made a left turn, and then a right turn into a parking lot, drove through the parking lot and parked, all with the ignition off.
Turning the ignition off is NOT recommended, per a driver instructor and driving school owner I talked to yesterday in my town.

Your point about power brakes and steering is silly, imagine your 100# duaghter or wife trying to wrestle with steering and brakes, and maybe they have NEVER driven a car without them. Imagine it happening at speed, and you'll see your way is not right.

Come on people, it's not hard. Push the clutch in, or put it in neutral, pull over safely and then, and only then shut it down.

I hope you guys aren't teaching your kids to turn the ignition off. :eek:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Turning the ignition off is NOT recommended, per a driver instructor and driving school owner I talked to yesterday in my town.

Your point about power brakes and steering is silly, imagine your 100# duaghter or wife trying to wrestle with steering and brakes, and maybe they have NEVER driven a car without them. Imagine it happening at speed, and you'll see your way is not right.

Come on people, it's not hard. Push the clutch in, or put it in neutral, pull over safely and then, and only then shut it down.

I hope you guys aren't teaching your kids to turn the ignition off. :eek:

Its in several owners manuals that I have read, including the recalled Toyotas.
It works, its safe, it should be practiced, all part of controlling your vehicle in an emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.