help me I have a volvo 125a

renkenman

Recruit
I just came across a project boat well it was given to me it's a Renken 2100 it has a good hull and top side the out drive is a volvo 270 that seems to be in good working order the boat is a 1984 the motor is a volvo AQ125A that is in need of alot of work I think it maybe frozen or blown not sure my question is is this motor worth rebuilding or is it possible that another type of motor will mount on to the out drive unit.this is my first I/o so I do not know much about it. If anyone could help me I sure would be thankfull.

Robj

Lieutenant
Re: help me I have a volvo 125a

I guess you can rebuild it if you want to. However on another site, Marineengine.com in the Volvo Penta forums, there is alot of info about marinizing an auto engine. I believe that engine uses the same block as some Volvo cars do. Get a good short block from a junker and bolt on all your marine stuff. Check out that site for more info. Hopefully someone from here will also have some input.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Free boats are seldom worth what you paid for them.
Bring your first born, right arm and left....... well, you know, and we'll talk.

renkenman

Recruit

Thanks for the free boat info. I also think after looking at the motor a little closer I think it may be missing some of the cooling system parts as I said this is the first I/o I have ever had would you know where I can get some pics of what this motor should look like before I SINK alot of money into this project. If it comes to it I may part it out and start on another boat. It would be ashame though because the rest of the boat is in good shape.

Thankyou for your input

RON

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For about 20 bucks, you can get an OEM service manual from your local Volvo Penta dealer. That will be about your cheapest of SEEING things as they should be.

renkenman

Recruit

Thankyou DON S you are right I will have to spend a little to see if I can save alot. ON the up side I put some marvel mystery oil in the head and in the cylinders the oil in the block seems to be pretty clean so I'm going to see if I can turn it over by hand first. I will let you know it comes out, again thankyou for your help and rob j also.

thankyou very much

RON

85volvosunbirdman

Seaman Apprentice

Renkenman how are you making out? My sunbird has the same setup. I can snap pic this weekend if you want let me know.