1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Golden Arrow II

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

There is a lot of room in that cooler. You can put in a divider to keep your beer, wait I mean pop in and still have room for 3+ (15 fish) limits of salmon. I have a smaller one than that and it holds lots of fish. But it gets heavy quick when your catching fish. I have had days where the cooler weighs 100lbs plus.:D

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yah, we usually head to Bradenton when we are down that way, should be fun!

As for fishing, I think the dads and uncles may just take a charter out to the gulf and see what we can do. That will be fun! The kings running this time of year?

Can't say about the kings, I have always been on bay charters. One guy, look up Captain TJ. He is pricey, but both times we've used him we have been on the fish all day, reds till your arms hurt, snook, and trout for the cooler. Last time I broke off a 3' shark at the boat on one of the lagoons, it was a blast!:D Professional guy too.

A big party might be better for the gulf though on a big boat. Either way, have fun!:)

Terry

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey dudes! We just got back from FL a couple of days ago had an awesome time!

Here is Ryan minutes after we got off the plane, he was pumped for swimming...

P1020508.jpg

We spent a lot of time eating good food, a ton of time in the pool, enjoyed the beach, hung out with family, awesome week!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I did attempt to charter a boat for some king/grouper fishing - the captain canceled within an hour of the trip departure time and then dragged his feet for a week and a half getting my $400 deposit back to me (only after I involved PayPal resolution and the Treasure Island Police Dept.) Looooong story. If anybody needs to know who NOT to go fishing with in the St. Petersberg/Treasure Island area shoot me a PM.

As for the Islander, from here on things will be very slow for the next couple of months. I have a ton of work to do on my two rental properties (decks, kitchens, baths) and some renovation work right here at the home front. I'll pick away on some small stuff on the old rig when I have the time but I think fall/winter I'll hit it hard again. The goal is still summer of 2011, oh wouldn't that be sweet!

Cheers!

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

yeah sometimes life gets in the way of a boat restore. i think we all have had some slow times, i know i am right now. i try to explain that this is a cash boat everything is bought with expendable monies(except the vinyl, which was bought by a gift card one of my good cust. didn't want)
glad you got your $ back on the boat charter. you were probably 40 miles south of me.
don't forget pics no matter how little of a detail

ps check out my thread there's some pics of manatees show them to ryan

joe

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome home, Ryan sure looks ready, vacations are always too short...good pic!

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glas you had a good time Jas!

Bummer on getting jerked around though, not cool on both counts. I'm used to guides freaking out about the client (me) not showing, never thought they wouldn't, except for weather. PM the long story / name if you get some time, I fish there every year or two, like to know who to avoid. Thanks!

Get to it when you get to it, not like I've done anything in weeks:(

Terry

Huron Angler

Admiral

Jason that's some bs on the charter pulling out at in the ninth inning:rolleyes:

Sounds like you had fun anyhow, so no worries...looking forward to seeing that Islander floating. I still plan on getting a cooler like that big one, that little hatch is great.

I felt the same way when I was ordering stickers and stuff last winter, but it's nice to get everything as you have the cash to spend(without getting busted that is:D).

Broadcast

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ry,

Welcome back! Missed ya!

Gotta watch out for those dang Charter Captains! ;)

Feeling your pain on the Starcraft progress too! Unfortunately not much accomplished here either. Fishing keeps getting in the way! :)

Looks like winter / fall is gonna be my time to shine too!

Triton II

Commander

Glad you had a blast in FLA Jas. Welcome back to reality! :D

TII

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

yeah sometimes life gets in the way of a boat restore. i think we all have had some slow times, i know i am right now. i try to explain that this is a cash boat everything is bought with expendable monies(except the vinyl, which was bought by a gift card one of my good cust. didn't want)
glad you got your $ back on the boat charter. you were probably 40 miles south of me.
don't forget pics no matter how little of a detail

ps check out my thread there's some pics of manatees show them to ryan

joe

Yah man, manatees are pretty awesome creatures! We stayed at a condo on a really nice canal while we were down there. I kept jumping in swimming around hoping I'd bump into one of those big sea cows. Never saw any but a pod of dolphins did swim by which was cool! My wife/mom/sis were all freaked out that I'd be eaten by a croc swimming around in there. Their screaming pretty well chased everything in a 20 mile radius away so I wasn't worried.

Welcome home, Ryan sure looks ready, vacations are always too short...good pic!

Yah, he rocked swimming!

Glas you had a good time Jas!

Bummer on getting jerked around though, not cool on both counts. I'm used to guides freaking out about the client (me) not showing, never thought they wouldn't, except for weather. PM the long story / name if you get some time, I fish there every year or two, like to know who to avoid. Thanks!

Get to it when you get to it, not like I've done anything in weeks:(

Terry

Jason that's some bs on the charter pulling out at in the ninth inning:rolleyes:

Sounds like you had fun anyhow, so no worries...looking forward to seeing that Islander floating. I still plan on getting a cooler like that big one, that little hatch is great.

I felt the same way when I was ordering stickers and stuff last winter, but it's nice to get everything as you have the cash to spend(without getting busted that is:D).

The biggest disappointment was that I had my brothers and dad all together and we were pumped for a sweet day on the water. This guy is shady, a real slick rick type. He spent a lot of time telling stories and then telling stories to cover for his stories. The stuff he was saying was scary dangerous for my family too, he should not be a boat captain. (he had been drinking the day before, then up all night, then pumping no doz, then slamming coffee, then "ready" to take us out "later") Perfectly nice guy overall, but the best scammers are, aren't they.

We did have a super time in hot ol' FL.

Ry,

Welcome back! Missed ya!

Gotta watch out for those dang Charter Captains! ;)

Feeling your pain on the Starcraft progress too! Unfortunately not much accomplished here either. Fishing keeps getting in the way! :)

Looks like winter / fall is gonna be my time to shine too!

Well, I usually just watch out for the bald captains. Tell tail sign of trouble!!!

Shoot, fishing getting in the way of your progress! Yah, I really feel your pain, as I am digging post holes in the heat/humidity!

Ah, it's all good. Like I said before, I am living vicariously though your days on the water brother, so keep it up!!!

Glad you had a blast in FLA Jas. Welcome back to reality! :D

TII

Ahhhh, good old reality. It's just so darn, well....

...so darn real isn't it.

Yah, we had a sweet time!

Rock on guys!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK guys...

So I am thinking about my helm seating area and how I will integrate my great big cooler/live well deal.

I have these two helm seats robbed from Thumper the Baja that will be redone probably this winter...

P1000979.jpg

The bases on those may or may not be of any use to me as I may bolt them directly to the platform or use a short pedestal. Anyway, my original thought was to have everything set up about like this...

ACF8285.jpg

But now I have this...

P1020460.jpg

It's just a little big to fit inside a platform base like the setup on the Islander above. I am pretty sure I can make it work, have it look good, keep it comfortable for sitting (height and such) and still have room in the boat for fishing/what not - BUT - it will take some creativity and careful measuring.

Then I got to thinking about another option, how about something like this rather than the standard port side helm seat...

wd607_2.jpg

I wouldn't need the back rest as there will be padded vinyl running along the inside gunnell. So, pros and cons for going the bench route...

Cons - It's not the traditional setup and I'm a pretty traditional, straight forward sort of a dude so that is a biggie for me. Everybody who sits there would be facing starboard or stern v. one passenger facing towards the bow (don't know if I'm really that concerned about that one).

Pros - It will be easier to build install than going the other route. The bench will be cheaper and easier to build/upholster than reupholstering that second helm seat. With the bench I can flip up the whole lid and have access to the entire box v. just a small section going the other way. Going this route would leave me with one extra helm seat that could be used for a future Starcraft boat project:D.

What am I missing?

What do you guys think?

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'd say the best seating style depends mostly on intended use of the rig.

If you plan on tubing and skiing then a sideways bench on the portside would be great so the spotter has a good view of the wake/kids. This is important for safety of course.;)

For big lake fishing, it would allow for folks to sit sideways and watch the downriggers/poles for releases and stay under the topper if it's raining.

For small lake fishing(which you are buying another Starcraft for anyhow:D) it would get in the way more I think, but not too bad.

I wish my dad's Seaswirl had a bench like that sometimes for deep water trolling. The other option is a locking swivel seat so the port side passenger can face aft when needed.

The only downside I see to the side bench would be hitting saginaw bay/lake huron in some wind/waves, since it's not the greatest to bounce sideways.:eek: That makes it harder to hold on to something and will give you a sore neck.

I like the setup on this Boston Whaler cuddy, it has a rear-facing seat in front of the port side helm seat.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

What's up Jas? I'm, well, just using your resto thread for my my 399 th post. It's my b-day today and I'm going to use my 400th post to wish myself a happy b-day.

Sorry to use you like that bro. You don't have to get me a present now.:D Thanks.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

What's up Jas? I'm, well, just using your resto thread for my my 399 th post. It's my b-day today and I'm going to use my 400th post to wish myself a happy b-day.

Sorry to use you like that bro. You don't have to get me a present now.:D Thanks.

Being used and abused is one of my favorite things man - Happy Bday buddy!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Progress...

Nope. Real bummer.

But I did....

SCORE!

Check out my bow rail!

P1020967.jpg

I had been looking for one but man are they expensive! I had pretty well resigned myself to the idea that I wouldn't have one. This came off of an old 25' Mirro Craft that a guy was selling off for cheap. He said that a guy was going to come and buy the boat just for the trailer and scrap the boat. He gave it to me for the cost of a few pizzas! As you can tell I'm pretty pumped! It really changes the whole look of the rig. It'll take just a bit of gentle persuasion to fit right as the rig it came off of was a couple of feet wider. The chrome brackets have just a small amount of pitting so it's not perfect, but the price couldn't be beat! I'm not sure if I can clean those up or not.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That looks awesome. However, the lack of progress on this project is unacceptable.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

However, the lack of progress on this project is unacceptable.

Too right brother, too right!

My non Starcraft project list is ginormous!

Though, the end of August, all that will be over (new tenants move in to my apts) and I can start chipping away at the rig again.

Cheers!

Huron Angler

Admiral

I like that bow rail ALOT:D:D

It's the perfect height to keep folks on deck when setting the anchor/fishing but also tall enough that boarding the rig from a beach over the bow is still easily done.

Jas shoots...he scores:cool:

+1 on Ez's comment;)