'84 Wellcraft Repairs and Paint SPLASHED

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: '84 Wellcraft Repairs and Paint

Looks great! I guess Mrs BBO hit you with the cattle prod and put you to work on the boat huh? :D:D

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Haha. No. Believe it or not I'm capable of motivating myself.:)

BigBoatinOkie

Well, it's been a while since I posted, sorry. I've had a pretty busy week, but I have been able to get some work done. Arch, I kept an eye out for Miss Morgan when I was at Lake Eufaula last weekend, but I didn't see her. We were hangin out at Brooken Cove, I think that's pretty near your usual hang out isn't it? I wish I was cruisin in my boat, but Mrs. BBO and I had plenty of fun with our family in Dad's little Bayliner. It felt nice getting on the water finally no matter whose boat it was.:) Can't say it was too nice the next morning when I could barely move from all the hard playing the day before.

Anywho, I got the engine aligned, outdrive on, trim pump installed, and I fired the engine up for the first time in 8 months today. I was happy with how it ran, except for a little hesitation when I throttle up quickly. It had this problem last year too. It doesn't stumble and try to die like it's a sticky shift cable, just hesitates for a second before it revs up. I'm guessing it's in the carb, maybe accelerator pump, but maybe it's just a tired old engine. If anyone has advice on that let me know.

Here's a video of the first engine startup. It's kinda long, but it sounds so good, I couldn't stop filming:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFUB7a_S7Gw

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

BBO, glad to hear you got her running! Now all you need is an interior! What is the latest on that? We were hanging out north of you, close to Porum....just look for the party on the beach! :D There isn't a lot of that right now with the water being up almost 4'. We did go over to Evergreen marina for go juice late in the day, which is close to where you were.

BigBoatinOkie

Yeah, the little beach where we usually hang out is under water. If you went to Evergreen marina, I guess I only missed you by about a mile. Sure would like to have seen Miss Morgan in person.

I carpeted some of the wooden pieces that support the dashes and bow seating late last night and I plan on laying the rest of the carpet this week. I'll have to tinker in the evenings when I get off work, but hopefully I can have the interior installed within a few days. Once the carpet is layed the upholstery will go in quickly, it's just a matter of a few bolts here and there. I still need to install the blower and bilge pump and straighten up all the wiring in the stern. The wiring is kind of a mess. Still need to wire up the trim tabs too.
I guess I could just pop a lawn chair in it for a sea trial.:D

bacafrog

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like your motor is doing the same thing as mine. I believe mine needs a carb rebuild, possibly a tired accelerator pump or something. I'm planning on running my boat just like it is this year, then start the process of restoring it and making it look new again. Right now I am to busy packing for Eufaula to do anything. Get her finished up and out in the water, you only have 2 more months of good boating weather left.

BigBoatinOkie

Get her finished up and out in the water, you only have 2 more months of good boating weather left.

Nah, we went right up into October last year. Then it'll be time to bust out the wet suits. :D

Yeah, most people hang it up after labor day. As long as the sun is shining and the water is smooth we will be out there. Its better when we are the only ones out there anyway. :D
I'm ready for some more pics.

BigBoatinOkie

True that Bro.

bacafrog

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't mind using the wetsuits, but the wife might. This is her first year of ever being on the water. I'm trying to take it easy on her.

BigBoatinOkie

Well, I'm sure this isn't enough progress to keep you guys happy and interested, but here are a couple pics of the carpet after I got it cut to fit. It's not glued down yet, but I'll get it glued Sunday night. Although I'm not extremely excited about it, I will have a seem across the width of the boat right in front of the captains chairs. I couldn't find carpet wide enough to do just one piece. I could have had one seamless piece on the deck and then separate pieces up the sides, but I would have had to buy way more carpet to do that. Anywho, here's a pic of it just laying there.

102_1522.jpg

102_1523.jpg

Bow seating support pieces.
102_1524.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looking good! Seats look nice!

BigBoatinOkie

Thanks Arch. As soon as I get the carpet glued down I'll throw in the rest of the seats and uphostery. Then we'll finally see how she's gonna look finished. I'm really hoping to have it usable for July 10th and 11th.

BigBoatinOkie

Well, no boat progress in the last couple of days, but I did get this yesterday.
:D:D:D

102_1532.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Focus BBO.....focus BBO......

BigBoatinOkie

Lol! I couldn't pass it up. Traded a dude straight up for my Yamaha Raptor ATV.

I'm on my way to glue the carpet right now.

BigBoatinOkie

Holy crap! I'm one frustrated son of a gun. I'd rather build 10 transoms than lay carpet. As mentioned before, I needed a seam that ran across the boat just under the consoles. Well, the seam looks like freakin crap!. I guess I'll have to put some kind of trim to cover the seam, which is probably going to look pretty goofy. I was so mad when I left the shop, I didn't take any pics. Pardon the rant. I'm sure it wont look that bad, but after all the work I've put it I sure didn't want to screw up on the carpet. I'll put up some pics when I do something right.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just take a piece of aluminum flat stock and screw it down over the seam. It will look fine and be more durable anyway.

BigBoatinOkie

Yeah, That's pretty much what I had in mind. I've seen some aluminum carpet trim that looks pretty nice also. Like I said, I'm sure it'll turn out fine, I just got really frustrated last night.

MrsBoatinOkie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think the carpet will do just fine. With all the seats in hardly anyone's gonna notice that seam. Plus we will be having so much fun on the water to worry too much about it!!

Still pulling adhesive off the tiny hairs of my forearms. Dang sticky stuff!! :mad: