The R?surrection of the SeaGem

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
Re: The R?surrection of the SeaGem

Thanks Bob

OK, small update yesterday I finally got the engine aligned and bolted down. What a bear it was having to do it from scratch and by myself :eek: . After the parade this morning I am going to make up the new exhaust elbows and try to get everything buttoned up to start her up :) . The new risers are 4" whereas the old was 3. Originally I was going to use the Mercruiser #94444 & 94443A 4x3 elbows but I don't like how they fit. the angle is slightly off and reduces to 3" on the 4" side Looks like it severely restricts the water flow. My plan is to make a plain old 4" elbow and reduce it to 3" after the vertical drop just before the "Y" pipe.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey bill, have fun at the parade. I like the oil drain line idea. I'm hoping maybe when I get my engine out of mothballs you can give me some pointers on things to do before i put it back in. Good luck with the exhaust elbows!

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey bill, have fun at the parade. I like the oil drain line idea. I'm hoping maybe when I get my engine out of mothballs you can give me some pointers on things to do before i put it back in. Good luck with the exhaust elbows!

Hey Steve,
The Parade was great the entire family marched in it, although my neck is killing me from carrying my 4 yo on my shoulders OUCH !!!!

Well we got home about 1pm and I started on the elbows
I did some research and found copper is better in salt water than stainless steel. noting I could buy off the shelf would have fit just right, off by a few degrees not long enough, etc... Seeing I have a ton of 4" copper I figured what the heck. If I had 4" copper elbows it would have been easier but I actually needed 82 degrees so I made them instead
Elbow #1 in the fabrication stage
IMG00489.jpg

Elbow #1 finished before cutting down to size
IMG00492.jpg

Dry fitting
IMG00493.jpg

Perfect, Just what the doctor ordered ;-)

Elbow # 2 in fabrication
IMG00495.jpg

Elbow # 2 Finished

IMG00497.jpg

Both fitted on the boat :)
IMG00504.jpg

Perfect fit with both, now all I need is some 4" furnco couplings to mate them to the manifolds.
I am very happy with how they came out the 4x3 is now at the bottom where it goes into the "Y" pipe. Looks like the exhaust and water will flow unrestricted right out the boat :)

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Steve,
By the way, you can buy the remote oil drains right here on iBoats. I am just poor and pulled in a favor from my wife's cousin that I always help with his house free central air etc. He does hydraulics for a living and made the line up for me for free :D:D

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bill, those elbows look great. I wonder if you could paint them up or have them powder coated to keep as much corrosion from the salt water out as possible? I also sent you a pm

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Bill, those elbows look great. I wonder if you could paint them up or have them powder coated to keep as much corrosion from the salt water out as possible? I also sent you a pm

Hey Vert

I am going to paint them for aesthetics with my 2part epoxy paint but other than that copper is actually better when exposed to salt water than most metals
Here is the list I found that helped me decide.
P.S. I brazed it all together with 15% silver

From Most Noble (Protected Metals) to Least Noble (Corroded Metals):
Mercury
Vanadium
Gold
Silver
Monel
Nickel
Passivated Stainless Steel (rare type)
Copper
Brass
Tin
Lead
Active Stainless Steel (most common type)
Cast Iron
Steel
Aluminum
Zinc
Magnesium

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

You mean you didn't have any spare Vanadium pipe laying around???? Come on!!! :D:D:D:D

Your elbows look great, BTW!

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

You mean you didn't have any spare Vanadium pipe laying around???? Come on!!! :D:D:D:D

Your elbows look great, BTW!

LOL, no 4" sch40 copper is expensive enough :) + its easier to braze. Truth be told, I didn't feel like setting up my burn box welder, 220v extension cord, heavy welding cables etc. , and my mig is set up for Aluminum When I saw copper was better it gave me an excuse to be lazy, B tank, brazing rods, done....:D

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

You know I'm just messing with you....I don't even know what the hell Vanadium looks like! LOL!

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

You know I'm just messing with you....I don't even know what the hell Vanadium looks like! LOL!

Of course I do LOL :)

A little added pic. His the Mercruiser elbow,I remember seeing others here have used the same elbow Initially I figured Notice how it reduces on the 4" when I fitted it to the riser the inner neck just about bottomed out in the bell shaped area.
Old
IMG00506.jpg

New
IMG00503.jpg

Big difference

83mulligan

interesting to see aluminum as less noble than steel. From that chart looks like if you could have gotten the tin man's arms from the wizard of oz you'd have saved some work!

betayv

hey hvac cruiser how much did you paid for your engine? where did you get it?

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

hey hvac cruiser how much did you paid for your engine? where did you get it?

Hey Beta,

I didn't buy it I built it. I cover the rebuild I think on pages 4 & 5. My pal gave me the 350 4bolt main block with the 400 crank already in it. I stripped it down, new file set of rings, bearings, comp cam, lifters,polished the crank reworked the heads etc.. Not sure the total cost yet. So far with new exhaust manifolds and all I probably have spent about $1500 tops but a lots of lots of man hours. One long day prepping and painting the block. I spent 2 days porting the cylinder heads, a day to put the short block together and the list goes on and on. Its been a labor of love, its the 1st engine I have built since 2000, had lots of fun building it.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

HVAC Cruiser,
It all looks good to me. Some very nice work. Great idea on the pipes too.
Bob

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey Bill the Sea Gem sure is coming along nice!
greta job on the elbows!

Hey are ya gonna have her in the water in the next few weeks??????

Hope all is well...keep on rockin :D

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement.

Well I haven't worked on her in almost 2 weeks :eek: Family things and work,work got the better of me :(
Is today the day I fire her up ???? I made my list of things I need I think I am going to try to sneak away this morning and go to the parts store
Here is the clip and paste of my excel worksheet

Needed to start engine
3 Gal Antifreeze 41.97
1 Carb Gasket 4.49
1 Oil Filter PH30 6.99
5 Oil 30 15
1 tranny fluid 4
hose clamps 12
1 gasket Sealer 8
sub 92.45
tax 7.9738125
total 100.4238125

If the weather holds out, maybe a video this afternoon of her running :D I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Hope all goes well great work Going to be one cool boat

83mulligan

Here's hoping for success, Bill!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

video! video! Videoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
Hell..even a stick flip book..lol
You inspire me..maybe I'll get off me arse and go find out whats up on my motor!!!! yaaaaa did I mention video???