1985 Glastron X-19 Complete Restore

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1985 Glastron X-19 Complete Restore

Make sure you cover it with a tarp! Keep that evil snow out!

do you have a completion date in mind?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I hope you can get it thawed out....It wouldn't happen here tonight! Good luck!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Mountain_Man,
I would a least put a tarp over it. You can support it with PVC from the home centers.
I heat lamps won't do anything for me but I'm going home tomorrow night and Saturday the torpedo heater is going in to see if I can get some work done. :D
Snow and Ice belong in Pic's and drinks not in boats. :p
Bob

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Messed with the gauges some tonight. Hooked up a battery to see how the back lighting looks.

DSC04764.jpg

DSC04762.jpg

DSC04763.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Very cool! I have been looking at seat pictures for ideas tonight and hoping the cold weather will go away!

88Glastron

Seaman Apprentice

I have an 88 CX-19 and am in Gloucester which is closer to VA beach than to you. I will be watching this thread for ideas so keep up with the pictures :) By the way I am an electronics technician also but in the Coast Guard.

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice to meet you. Retired AF here, Electronics Technician everything from AvNav to GPS Constellation management, Secure Telephone (red switch) and SatCom.

My wife grew up in Va Beach, so I know that area.

Anyway, happy to see another boater with a Glastron. I have some decent pics of an '88 that was for sale a year ago in Charlotte.

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update: There's still snow in the boat, and the temps still haven't got above freezing. I picked up another set of those "light bars" this week, and should be good when it comes time to trim it out. This time they were marked 24.95 and I talked the guy down to $4.95 since they were discontinued. A friend of mine picked up a piece of 1 x 8 by 6' Teak today. I'll see how far that goes for trim.

Meanwhile my self employment takes me out of town for the rest of the week. Maybe the snow will melt while I'm gone.

I'll be taking a move in a different direction next week though. I hired on yesterday at a local firm as a process engineer and the drive is only 7 miles. Down side is about 50 hours a week for a while helping to get caught up on some new Man Machine interface integration. This is the level of work and challenge I've looked for all my life. Hope I can meet the expectations.

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bubba,
Thanks for the honesty.

I'm waiting on the weather to break to check out the motor, I've manually checked clearances, and "sloppiness" or lack there of and everything seems to be in good repair mechanically. My cousin had checked out the motor and replaced the alternator, fuel pump and starter just to get it checked out. It was given a "good bill of health" but I will verify that for myself.

As far as the budget, so far I'm tracking what I spend, and will be watching that closely. I'm also waiting for a detailed inspection of everything on the budget. I plan on getting a total "map" of the hull in pics and verifying every little flaw and go from there.

As far as the money management, I have $5000 worth of Fiber Equipment for my job, I also have $3000 worth of data equipment. and another $2000 in tools. My wife has about 400 DVD's and I haven't taken a vacation in 20 years. I enjoy new stuff and keeping my hands busy, I have a complete woodshop and love spending time out there.

Bottom line - The way I look at it If I spend 2k on this project and then walk away from it . . . . I've learned something new, Challenged my ingenuity, had a good time, and relieved a lot of life's stress. Not a bad trade off. I actually hope to finish this completely and try it out. I may sell it, or fall in love with it.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I love that attitude Mitch! Its more about the experience and what you learn than the money. I have friends that ask me why I "work on the weekends"....I'm not working I'm relaxing! You "rest", you rot! Hang in there, hopefully the weather will give you a break!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Mountain_Man
I really don't think any of us think that we will ever recoup the money we spend on our boats. We do it because of all the reasons you mentioned. I can think of better places to put my money if I was trying to make money.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I agree this is fun and relaxing. Although we may not make money by selling our boats I do think we are saving alot of money. When we are finished we will basically have new boats. The alternative is to go out and buy a new boat and have you priced a new boat lately? The equivelant of my boat now is about $15,000. I will have under $3,000 in mine when all is said and done. So if you look at it that way I am saving $12,000 and at least I know it is now built better than it was new. We are not really throwing money into a hole in the water as bad as it seems.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Although I don't terribly mind it, I'm not doing my project cuz I love the work. I want a brand new 18' open bow aluminum fish n' ski. I don't have $25k+ for it. I don't even have $5-10k for a decent used one. I do however have $1000 + many increments of $150 for stuff to rebuild the '76 Starcraft I bought. So I'm going to do that :).

BobsGlasstream

Commander

The cost or money you are willing to put into any project is all relative, to what you are trying to do. You could easily put 2 K into a new motor or an outdrive. You can also get a reliable unit for far less.
The same can be said for any aspect of a project.
Bob

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really appreciate all you guys opinions.

There is one thing that I need to clear up. When I made the comment about 2k and walking away from it, that's what I meant verbatum. I'm talking 2k UNFINISHED. I'm not setting a 2k limit. I just pulled that number out of my head.

When I spend 1100 on a drum sander, and 1000 on a drill press and 1500 on a router table, I don't expect to recoup the cost. That is the cost o my happiness. It's a hobby. That's what this boat is. A hobby and a chance to make new friends and expand my knowledge.

When my maker makes it possible for me to spend money for "quality of life", i'm going to spend it. I'll walk that path until I find out that I should change direction. If that's what He wants, He'll cut off the funds. I'll walk away from the boat then. If It's not done, someone else may get a gift and get to finish what I've started.

You see money is not life, and it doesn't run my life. It is a tool to get through life. I'm a big boy, and if I waste it, so what?

I'm here for the exparience and comradery. I love all the technical know how that can be gained from sharing on this forum.

Thanks again guys for the help, and I hope I didn't step on any toes. Everyone has a different motivation and plan. Mine is to enjoy myself. I just wanted y'all to understand my motivation.:)

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Mountain_Man,
Well put my friend. That is kinda what I was meaning but you put it much better.
Now, Let's get back to the boat.
Has you weather improved any yet? Did you get the tarp on the boat?
Bob

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually, I picked up an attwood cover for 50 bucks, the temp broke 40 today for the first time in a month. Unfortunately I'm in a motel out of town until Saturday night. If the snow's not gone by the time I get home, I'll put a heater under the cover for a while. Then I hope I'll get a warm day to analize the motor.

AND TAKE DETAILED PICS!:D

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I cant wait!!! hurry up!! haha I am very excited to follow your progress!!!!!

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok. Back home late last night. Raining, and wet. 4" of snow still on the RedNeck Deck in the boat. Rain all night reduced that to about an inch or two.

This sitting around is driving my brain crazy. I'm over analyzing everything:confused:

Here's my question.

Friscoboater mentioned a few days ago about the possibility of 2 bilge blower motors. OK . . .. My louvers are in opposite directions of each other. they have fins and one faces each way for/aft :confused: Is that by design? In my reverse engineering mind I get it this way. At cruise the fins facing forward would have positive air pressure thus blowing in. The rear facing fins would have low pressure and would scavenge fumes.
is that right? They each have two tube ports. So would the blowers on the low pressure side restrict airflow when not actually turned on?

Just thinking about the idea.

What do y'all think?

Last edited:

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I would use 1 blower on each side. one blowing in and one blowing out. that leaves 1 port on each side unrestricted