You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

Re: You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

Like I said before, you paid a grand for the boat and trailer, I would be surprised if the dealer does anything. I am sure that neither came with a warranty of any kind and both were probably sold as is for that price. A decent trailer for that boat is going to cost the dealer more than the boat was sold for, by quite a bit. They will probably offer to give you a few hundred bucks for the trailer or offer to give you a refund if they get the boat and trailer back. Which I would not do. The boat and drive system are worth way more than a grand if they work. I think the folks that are howling about the dealer making it right are forgetting the fact that you paid a grand for the package, IMHO the dealer owes you nothing other than an apology for not doing a better job of inspecting the trailer.

Bro..we all hear you! You don't think this guy is owed anything, we get it.

I don't care if he payed a grand or 10 grand..why does that matter if its an "As Is" transaction?? Either way the dealer "technically" owes him nothing, so stop making a big deal about him only paying a grand.

Why did the dealer even bother looking over the trailer and making this guy think the trailer was road worthy? He should have said "We haven't looked at the trailer, it was traded in and we hold no liability in its condition" And had the customer sign to that agreement. At that point, its on the customer to decide whether he wants it or not.
But when the dealer tells the customer that their techs went through the trailer and gave it a good bill of health and the thing falls apart and could have killed somebody...now thats a totally different story.

lightwood38

Seaman

Agreed

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Why did the dealer even bother looking over the trailer and making this guy think the trailer was road worthy? He should have said "We haven't looked at the trailer, it was traded in and we hold no liability in its condition" And had the customer sign to that agreement. At that point, its on the customer to decide whether he wants it or not.

But when the dealer tells the customer that their techs went through the trailer and gave it a good bill of health and the thing falls apart and could have killed somebody...now that's a totally different story.

That pretty much sums it up right there.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Bro..we all hear you! You don't think this guy is owed anything, we get it.

I don't care if he payed a grand or 10 grand..why does that matter if its an "As Is" transaction?? Either way the dealer "technically" owes him nothing, so stop making a big deal about him only paying a grand.

But when the dealer tells the customer that their techs went through the trailer and gave it a good bill of health and the thing falls apart and could have killed somebody...now thats a totally different story.

That is my point is exactly. When I was deciding on whether or not I was going to take a chance on a boat that hasnt ran in awhile, He made such a big deal about how good of a deal I would be getting even if the boat turns out to junk, because the trailer was worth so much more than the boat.

If your not bothering to read entire thread let me say this again Im not going after anyone for money. Im not sue happy. This dealer put me and everyone else on the road in danger. How many other trailers or equipment has he put his seal of approval on that are out there on the road.

This is not some mom and pop boat shop that sold me this trailer, its a dealer. Same if you took your Ford or Chevy to your dealer and had it repaired or inspected. Do you crawl under your car pull your Tires and brakes after your certified factory trained mechanic gets done inspecting your vehichle to double check his work??? I doubt it...

Yes its used and I should have gotten my *** under there and checked it out myself. This is just as much my fault as the dealers. Im not denying that. I knew the trailer was rusty, I even stated that in my original post when I first got the boat and was bragging about such a deal I got. This whole thread is just pointing out that a dealer said this trailer was inspected by his factory trained techs and deamed safe. Like I said, you be the judge of that.

Also I put a big picture of the VIN tag on here to prove what year it is...

a70eliminator

Captain

A salvage trailer from coastal flooding no doubt! May have been submerged for weeks then dragged out and pressure washed.
I wonder if you could trace the original registration holder and find out for sure being it's only 3 yrs.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

A salvage trailer from coastal flooding no doubt! May have been submerged for weeks then dragged out and pressure washed.
I wonder if you could trace the original registration holder and find out for sure being it's only 3 yrs.
flood victim is possible, but it is no where near as bad as being dunked during a normal boating season. And if it spent any time at all submerged and then power washer, I doubt it would look as good as the pics in the original post. Look at the wheels and brake rotors, etc.
Too clean and some of that bubbling paint over the rust would have been blown off by the pressure washing.

Hey all in all, the wheels and brake lines and rotors look pretty nice !!!

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

When I was at this dealership every single one of those boats was on a red trailer that looked identical to mine. This dealership is right on the Atlantic Ocean in Virginia. Ill bet you dimes to dollars that 90% of those boats are going into salt water. The scary thing is, is how many of those boats has he sold in the past that have been used in salt water that are being towed on the road today? I know that every time I see that red trailer on the road Ill be getting away from it...

My thoughts exactly. I wonder what this dealer says to potential buyers when they mention or question using these in salt water.
Has this dealer been around a long time?
Or is he like a used car dealer that operates for six months or so and then disappears. ???

We have what we call "Car City" down here and the used car dealers seem to come and go, change locations and dealership names on an annual basis. Yet the same principals are involved in everyone.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't wait for the salesman to show up again. I'd go right for the manager or owner and show him the pictures you posted here. That trailer was un-roadworthy and as was stated before, could have killed someone. Luckily, it failed in your driveway. I have always found you get further with honey than with vinegar, and maybe they'll make it right with you. As is is just that, as is, but I would think that the dealership should have some sort of policy with selling something in as deplorable condition as that wreck, considering you were told that the trailer specifically "checked out ok with the technician."

I'd politely ask them for another trailer, and help in getting it on there.

Just my $0.02.

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't wait for the salesman to show up again. I'd go right for the manager or owner and show him the pictures you posted here. That trailer was un-roadworthy and as was stated before, could have killed someone. Luckily, it failed in your driveway. I have always found you get further with honey than with vinegar, and maybe they'll make it right with you. As is is just that, as is, but I would think that the dealership should have some sort of policy with selling something in as deplorable condition as that wreck, considering you were told that the trailer specifically "checked out ok with the technician."

I'd politely ask them for another trailer, and help in getting it on there.

Just my $0.02.

I am interested to hear what the dealer is willing to do to make this right. I understand that it was only $1K however they owe you a duty in your fiduciary relationship. He said it was in good shape. it wasn't. it obviously wasn't. In court your argument would hold up. if he had said, "I dunno if the trailer is any good" Then buyer beware, and its on your back. I think trying to mitigate damages by asking for another trailer would be great. even if they gave you another trailer.

If they refuse to cooperate with you, there are many avenues that you can take to help remedy the situation.

Calling them though, and they will just ignore you. best thing to do is to print the pictures off on some glossy paper, and go down there and ask to talk to the manager or owner. if you can get a lawyer friend to write up a little one page statement, and explain the damages that have occurred and the torts they have committed, and very kindly how you would like your damages mitigated. (getting a usable trailer) in court cases where there is no prove of negligence, the price of the retribution is equal to the total purchase price, and usually it is a return to the pre-contractual state. In a case like yours you have obvious negligence on the part of the dealer, and the damages are not limited, granted you would not get a new 6k trailer however, but reasonable retribution.

I do not recommend going to court, I am just stating this info because as long as you know what your rights are within the law, and what you can expect to see in terms of repairing what is broken.

As a fellow boater though, I am amazed that this didn't break earlier. wow! what a dang rust bucket, it must have had some poor maintenance and large abuse to have that kind of damage and be so new. I don't think that is poor design, I think that is abuse and neglect on the PO part.

I am just glad though that no one was hurt. Man could you imagine the doo-doo storm if someone was hurt? phew!!! man no thanks. I will be watching to see what happens. Please let us know!

QC: I think your edit of my earlier post was a bit more inline with what I was trying to say. I am more of a Natiques man anyway! But yes they are protecting their boats and trailers. Thank you.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

I am interested to hear what the dealer is willing to do to make this right. I understand that it was only $1K however they owe you a duty in your fiduciary relationship. He said it was in good shape. it wasn't. it obviously wasn't. In court your argument would hold up. if he had said, "I dunno if the trailer is any good" Then buyer beware, and its on your back. I think trying to mitigate damages by asking for another trailer would be great. even if they gave you another trailer.

If they refuse to cooperate with you, there are many avenues that you can take to help remedy the situation.

Calling them though, and they will just ignore you. best thing to do is to print the pictures off on some glossy paper, and go down there and ask to talk to the manager or owner. if you can get a lawyer friend to write up a little one page statement, and explain the damages that have occurred and the torts they have committed, and very kindly how you would like your damages mitigated. (getting a usable trailer) in court cases where there is no prove of negligence, the price of the retribution is equal to the total purchase price, and usually it is a return to the pre-contractual state. In a case like yours you have obvious negligence on the part of the dealer, and the damages are not limited, granted you would not get a new 6k trailer however, but reasonable retribution.

I do not recommend going to court, I am just stating this info because as long as you know what your rights are within the law, and what you can expect to see in terms of repairing what is broken.

As a fellow boater though, I am amazed that this didn't break earlier. wow! what a dang rust bucket, it must have had some poor maintenance and large abuse to have that kind of damage and be so new. I don't think that is poor design, I think that is abuse and neglect on the PO part.

I am just glad though that no one was hurt. Man could you imagine the doo-doo storm if someone was hurt? phew!!! man no thanks. I will be watching to see what happens. Please let us know!

QC: I think your edit of my earlier post was a bit more inline with what I was trying to say. I am more of a Natiques man anyway! But yes they are protecting their boats and trailers. Thank you.

This sounds like professional advice. ;) And it never hurts to ask. I would think that a reputable dealer would make some arrangement to rectify this. Keyword here is reputable.

Keep us posted. I'd like to know how this turns out for ya.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If I was buying that boat, I would have gone over the trailer first and seen those problems. I would also have to say that the dealer clearly would have known about the problems as well.

I would never buy or use a closed channel painted trailer in salt water.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If I was buying that boat, I would have gone over the trailer first and seen those problems. I would also have to say that the dealer clearly would have known about the problems as well.

I would never buy or use a closed channel painted trailer in salt water.

Because I have experience working at a dealership, and I know EXACTLY how shady those places can be. There is NO WAY that this delearship looked at this trailer and didn't know it was a big POS. They felt they had a guy on the line that they could "Slip One" past, and they did for a day or so, until it crumbled in the driveway.

The Dealership knew that this trailer was never going to sell sitting on their lot and my guess is that the other one will. Most reputable dealerships have whats called a UVC "Used vehicle Conditioning" on their units sitting on the lot. Usually an added 300-400 bucks depending on what needed to be fixed. That means that the unit was looked over by the techs and anything that needed to be fixed to make it "road worthy"..was fixed.

This trailer isn't even fixable and should have been sent to the scrap yard, but they decided to take a huge gamble and try and sell it as an "as is" transaction. He is lucky his gamble didn't kill an entire family. He made a HUGE mistake by saying his techs went over the unit before selling it. Yes, the buyer should have looked over the trailer as well, but when working with a dealership, this stuff should not happen. Private party? Well we all know the risks dealing with that.:confused:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I went over to the Master Craft forum to see what was posted over there. Titling the post as "2006 Matercraft Trailer Junk" was a foolish move in a Mastercraft forum. What kind of response were you expecting to get?

QC

Supreme Mariner

And thank you back!! This seemed like a good thread to spread some iboats mentality stuff . . . With that said you should've seen some of my posts before I was a Mod :eek: Nitromethane comes to mind :D

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

with responsibility comes civility???

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And thank you back!! This seemed like a good thread to spread some iboats mentality stuff . . . With that said you should've seen some of my posts before I was a Mod :eek: Nitromethane comes to mind :D

Hahah it happens!! I know the situation here, and you guys (the mods) have done a fantastic job on keeping a wonderful atmosphere, and kept it friendly here. there have been many boards I have been on that were horrible. Thank you!

By the way What I meant above about Pre-Contractual agreement, is give the trailer and boat back, get the cash back. certainly not what you want to do!

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

I don't understand a few things about this situation.

First of all, why would you have to go back three times before deciding to buy this for a thousand bucks? If the boat really is in good condition and runs well, it should be worth ten times that. Or are boats worth nothing in your part of the country?

Second, "sold as is" means "sold as is." To suggest that the dealer knew that the trailer was on the verge of failure is giving the dealer a lot of credit. How could anyone know what lurked under that flaking paint? Some of the comments on this forum about the dealer sound libelous.

I'm sure that you are grateful that this happened in your driveway and not on the road. Why not leave it at that? Then go and spend another thousand or two on a decent trailer and enjoy your bargain.

a70eliminator

Captain

First of all, why would you have to go back three times before deciding to buy this for a thousand bucks? If the boat really is in good condition and runs well, it should be worth ten times that. Or are boats worth nothing in your part of the country?

Second, "sold as is" means "sold as is." To suggest that the dealer knew that the trailer was on the verge of failure is giving the dealer a lot of credit. How could anyone know what lurked under that flaking paint? Some of the comments on this forum about the dealer sound libelous.

I'm sure that you are grateful that this happened in your driveway and not on the road. Why not leave it at that? Then go and spend another thousand or two on a decent trailer and enjoy your bargain.

I believe he already stated not pursuing it but the majority of the advise he's getting here is to go back on the dealer, which I agree with also.
It's just the idea of letting something that came that close to catastrophy just go away.
I praise the original poster of the thread for not going ballistic on somebody already.

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

In reference to your second point, my issue would be not so much "did they know the trailer was on the verge of failure" but whether they SHOULD have known. If they didn't know, they should not have told the OP that it was checked out and good to go. Based on the pics and the fact that OP could put his finger through parts of it, if it was "inspected" or "checked" there should have been red flags to someone who inspects trailers. Just my opinion, FWIW.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

This reminds me of the used car we bought from a Toyota dealer. A week or two after we bought it, the front ball joint broke and the wheel folded over flat onto the road as we pulled out of a driveway. That was after we drove it to the lake and back on the highway.

Did the dealer know that he sold a car that was dangerous to drive? I doubt it. We just felt grateful that the ball joint broke at low speed instead of on the highway. Did we have legal recourse? Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.