You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

Status
Not open for further replies.

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

Re: You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

Speaking of brakes, where is the master cylinder fill cap, I know that brake fluid eats paint like paint remover, a broken brake line right in that area could have started the rotout in that area maybe?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

We cannot let this thread continue to bash the quality of Mastercraft products based on the performance of a used trailer sold mis-matched with a boat for $1000.

Should the dealer have inspected the trailer before sending a customer (even a low $$ one) down the road with it? Absolutely.

If the product bashing continues, this thread will be closed.

What does the price have to do with the trailer performance???
A grossly mis-matched trailer and boat combo would have.
But looking at the pictures would indicate that the trailer is meant for a larger boat than what is on it.

But yes, not knowing the history behind the trailer, etc. I/we are only speculating as to why it happen where it happened.

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If I would have bought this trailer from some guy that had it sitting in his backyard for 5 years and this happened, I would have been a little embarrassed to post this because I got what I paid for.

The fact is that I bought this MC trailer from a MC dealer who told me his MC technicians gave this trailer a good bill of health and let me drive off the lot with it. I would have bought the boat even if it didnt come with a trailer. Like I said before never once did I mention that I got ripped off. Im just saying look what could have happened because I chose to listen to what I thought was a reputable dealer.

I don't want no money,charges filed,lawsuits nothing. I just want the old trailer and have him help me put this boat onto it...

The problem is the liability. for the dealer and for master craft. The MC guys are being [protective of their favorite brand, QC edit]. sometimes people don't know what they are talking about and run with it, its the mob mentality.

If the dealer said "oh yeah that there rust? naw its ready to rock!" you could easily have collected damages if an accent did occur. that would not have been hard to do, and if someone had been hurt your insurance company would have had his man parts in a sling for sure.

It is lucky no one was hurt, but at the very least he should be able to help you get a new trailer, sounds like the one on the boat was in better shape.

if you had gotten this from a private party, you would have been SOL, but with the dealers stamp of approval an "experts" advice (hey it would hold up in court!) you can seriously get your situation fixed.

I am glad no one was hurt!

QC

Supreme Mariner

This thread actually seems like a good iboats etiquette training example. A bunch of good members with a bunch of good suggestions and concerns, and a few posts that could be used to help communicate some subtle things. . . So here goes:

Despite the emotions we should actually be welcoming the MC forum peeps over here ;)

Product bashing is a fine line thing too. I am thinking a post like "wow I would not have expected that from a quality name like Mastercraft" might be better than "I'll never buy one of those after seeing this".

Dealer bashing is also an issue. I pretty much approach things with an "I don't know ship until I know it" attitude. Difficult sometimes, but it is entirely possible that the dealer thought he was doing a good thing here.

There is no way things can be all roses in every thread. But we could help attract new members, avoid pizzing off existing members and also help iboats promote a site that is friendly to commercial interests as well. Difficult task for sure, but if there is an online crowd that could pull it off I can think of no better example than this group. Try and remember that Manufacturers and potential members are reading our posts and we might actually attract more of both if we post as if we are meeting face to face with either :)

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Speaking of brakes, where is the master cylinder fill cap, I know that brake fluid eats paint like paint remover, a broken brake line right in that area could have started the rotout in that area maybe?

Good point. Notice at the swing-away point the lower half is all rusty too.
Agree that brake fluid takes paint off.
Could be too that the brake line broke after flexing too many times at the swing-away joint.
If thats the case it must of been repair as the owner says it has good brakes now.
But leaked brake fluid was not cleaned up back when it failed (if it did) then it was doomed from then on.

With that in mind, I would not walk away from that trailer just yet. I would not assume the rest of the trailer is junk. Whether the tongue corrosion was from water or brake fluid, the rest of the trailer could be solid and usable for several years.
I do not know what the device is but there is an electronic device kinda like an ultrasound machine,that can tell how thick the metal is without any damage or edges to measure. , You just rub a sensor over a spot and it tells you how thick the metal is.

I find it funny living down here where all of the boating is done in saltwater. A big amount of paranoia with saltwater and corrosion to boats, trucks, cars and trailers. Being from Michigan for 40 years it would be months before many of use ever bothered to get the road salt off of our vehicles. Come March, every vehicle was white with salt. And the underside and insides hardly ever got hosed off come spring. Just the exterior got washed.
And they did not crumble into a pile or iron oxide in ten years either. Not even pre 1980 versions.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

So what's the best way to inspect for this type of corrosion and make a decision as to if the metal is acceptable? I'm afraid that I may be the next victim of something similar if I don't know what to look for. Certainly don't want to put myself, my family, or others on the road at risk.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

To the original poster.........sorry for what you experienced and like all before me....glad no one was hurt.

To QC.....well said / excellent explanation by a moderator of what is expected. I guess that kind of thinking is why this seems to be a highly used, viewed and respected site / forum with very helpful and knowledgable members.

As we all know, there are some other boards that...well....not so much!

Ski07X2

Recruit

The problem is the liability. for the dealer and for master craft. The MC guys are being [protective of their favorite brand]. sometimes people don't know what they are talking about and run with it, its the mob mentality.

If the dealer said "oh yeah that there rust? naw its ready to rock!" you could easily have collected damages if an accent did occur. that would not have been hard to do, and if someone had been hurt your insurance company would have had his man parts in a sling for sure.

It is lucky no one was hurt, but at the very least he should be able to help you get a new trailer, sounds like the one on the boat was in better shape.

if you had gotten this from a private party, you would have been SOL, but with the dealers stamp of approval an "experts" advice (hey it would hold up in court!) you can seriously get your situation fixed.

I am glad no one was hurt!
Mastercraft Boat Co. doesn't have a dog in this fight. [Edited out, QC] Yea, the DEALER might have a little problem if they KNOWINGLY sold an unsafe boat trailer that was gonna hit the highway. I'm GUESSING that the dealer didn't do quite what they said they did concerning this particular trailer.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

All the bickering aside i just wonder how helpful that dealer will be.

I doubt they would knowingly sell a trailer in that bad of shape.If i were the dealer i sure would be having a few words with the tech who gave it a clean bill of health.

The only way i would see it being MC's fault is if it was just a defect in the trailer.
There has to be a reason it rusted that bad and so fast.It could happen to any brand of trailer.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Ski07X2,

I don't think he was saying that Mastercraft Inc. was being stupid . . . ;) Hopefully nobody is being stupid, but with that said, I would like to welcome you to iboats forums.

I am going to follow that by saying even a "bad" dealer (whatever that is) would have problems with the liability of that trailer going out. That tells me that they didn't know how bad it was.

Ski07X2

Recruit

Ski07X2,

I don't think he was saying that Mastercraft Inc. was being stupid . . . ;) Hopefully nobody is being stupid, but with that said, I would like to welcome you to iboats forums.

I am going to follow that by saying even a "bad" dealer (whatever that is) would have problems with the liability of that trailer going out. That tells me that they didn't know how bad it was.

Thank you. I was hoping we'd hear back from the OP as to what the dealer had in mind to rectify this deal.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have to flip sides here for a moment and add fuel for thought....

In defense of any dealer..... when they "check out" a used trailer the primary concerns are tires, brakes, springs, coupler, lights, winch and rollers if equipped. Notice I did not say anything about a load test.

Checking the trailer when it was unloaded may not have revealed anymore than rust and even if a full size man climbs over the trailer and it probably held the weight. Even hitting it with a hammer may have held at the time of delivery.

I doubt anything was done here that was sneaky or malicious on anyones part.

I will be standing aside next to Gary and wait just to see what the dealer has to say.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

So what's the best way to inspect for this type of corrosion and make a decision as to if the metal is acceptable? I'm afraid that I may be the next victim of something similar if I don't know what to look for. Certainly don't want to put myself, my family, or others on the road at risk.

I would think that one of the best non destructive ways(not even a scratch) would be one of these ultrasonic testers. http://www.abqindustrial.net/store/wall-thickness-gauges-c-2.html
Certain models can measure thru paint and also tell if there is rust inside, I guess enough that would give a thinner reading.
Quite pricey but you might find a tester at a race car chassis shop, speed equipment shop or they might know someone that has one. You might even be able to rent one at Hertz Equipment rentals, etc.
You might even contact NHRA and see if they have an chassis inspector in your area. They have them and might be willing to use their chassis tester to inspect your trailer. For a fee of course.

Or start tapping with a hammer. If the bottom sounds different the the top then something is going on inside.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Here is what Mastercraft says about their trailers. Direct from their website.

"Putting an aftermarket trailer under a MasterCraft is akin to putting used tires on an Indy car during a pit stop. MasterCraft trailers are specifically designed and built to complement the hull they carry and are built in parallel with your MasterCraft boat."

Not gonna comment either way on that statement, LOL.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I called the dealer again and the person who sold me the boat still was not in. I sent another email. Still waiting.

As for the brake line breaking. The brake line looked like it was the stock one. it was discolored but not corroded and the brakes were definitely working when I was pulling the boat. Like I said these were some of the best working surge breaks Ive used.

The testers you are referring to is called an N.T.D. Non- Destructive- Testing. using eddie current or ultra sound to pear into a metallic structure and look for corrosion and or fractures. I used to do this testing on aircraft.

I haven't looked closely at the rest of the trailer for rust, I mean I did see a couple of small spots here and there but haven't crawled under it to look for very bad spots. Ill snap a couple of more pics and you tell me. Maybe its not the whole trailer that's bad it may be isolated to the tongue area.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

DSC00147-1.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

DSC00160.jpg

DSC00162.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

DSC00149.jpg

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

DSC00170.jpg

DSC00149.jpg

DSC00150.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

DSC00168.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

DSC00152.jpg

DSC00153.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00176.jpg

DSC00172.jpg

Judge for yourself...

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Holy Carp! That thing is junk!..I can't believe it held together long enough to get the boat home!:eek:

You don't need to talk to the salesman who sold it to you.
Whoever owns the dealership needs to be on the phone or i would be calling them every 5 minutes!
Man! That ticks me off they have total disregard for your life and any motorist that could have been killed when it fell apart!

That was a total disaster waiting to happen.
No way anyone inspected that trailer!

Master Craft would get them pictures too just to show what kind of people they have at that dealership! I'm sure they will put some pressure on them to make things right!

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

What a shame, looks like whoever owned the trailer never even rinsed it off after dunking in salt. That would by my guess as to why it is on that condition. Dealer should have caught that on an inspection. But then again you should have as well. O well, lesson learned. See what they will do for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.