You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

Status
Not open for further replies.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

Re: You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

While it is an a AS IS Sale. It must still be useable for it's intended purpose.
Which it isn't.

salty87

Commander

In reference to your second point, my issue would be not so much "did they know the trailer was on the verge of failure" but whether they SHOULD have known. If they didn't know, they should not have told the OP that it was checked out and good to go. Based on the pics and the fact that OP could put his finger through parts of it, if it was "inspected" or "checked" there should have been red flags to someone who inspects trailers. Just my opinion, FWIW.

this is only speculation but why would a mastercraft dealer stick a fancy mastercraft trailer under a significantly less expensive and smaller i/o?...how about because it wouldn't hold up under a bigger boat. sweep the trailer under the rug, so to speak. if the trailer were in good shape, it's worth alot more to the dealer under a mastercraft boat.

was the prop guard on the trailer modified for the i/o? if it was i'd think the dealer has more liability. if it wasn't modified it seems kinda sleezy to me to send a boat buyer home with that potential problem provided you weren't told about it.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I don't understand a few things about this situation.

First of all, why would you have to go back three times before deciding to buy this for a thousand bucks? If the boat really is in good condition and runs well, it should be worth ten times that. Or are boats worth nothing in your part of the country?

Second, "sold as is" means "sold as is." To suggest that the dealer knew that the trailer was on the verge of failure is giving the dealer a lot of credit. How could anyone know what lurked under that flaking paint? Some of the comments on this forum about the dealer sound libelous.

I'm sure that you are grateful that this happened in your driveway and not on the road. Why not leave it at that? Then go and spend another thousand or two on a decent trailer and enjoy your bargain.

If the OP can stick his finger, let alone a screw driver thru the trailer tubing, how can you suggest that the dealer techs and dealer could not have found such cancer? When the dealer told the OP that it had been "inspected and serviced".
I would hope that the dealers inspection process involved more than a visual inspection.
Maybe not.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Second, "sold as is" means "sold as is." To suggest that the dealer knew that the trailer was on the verge of failure is giving the dealer a lot of credit. How could anyone know what lurked under that flaking paint? Some of the comments on this forum about the dealer sound libelous.

The dealer swapped out an aluminum trailer that was under the boat which they said needed work with this trailer which has fallen apart. That doesn't sound shady to you?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Original post:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2444677#post2444677

I said in my original post that I put in the boat restoration page, that I did go look at this boat 3 times before I bought it. I was looking at the boat not the trailer. I was just doing some research on this boat before I finally decided to buy it. Research like parts still available, any known problems with this model, ETC. The first time I looked at the boat, it was after hours. The second time is when I got the huge sales pitch. The third time I finally pulled out my checkbook. Which leads me to this:

The salesman got back to me today via email. Like I said I emailed him all of the pics along with a link to this thread and a very long and detailed list of events of what is going on. This is what I got in response to all that.

"OK i'll get back with you when I get back in town on the 3rd"

I guess He doesn't want to be bothered during the holidays. That's OK,Ill wait.

I also sent an email to the owner of the dealership. I found his email address while I was on his website. I'm am being very professional in my emails not to sound like a raving lunatic. So we'll see how that goes.

Today when I got home from work my neighbor was outside. He is one of the ones that helped me get the boat up on the blocks. He said He told this story to one of his friends that works for the local TV news. I guess he expressed interest in this story. I told him I want nothing to do with it. I cant justify causing a huge to do because it will ultimately hurt MasterCraft and I honestly feel its not the trailers manufacturer that's at fault here...

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

in response to what some have said:

yes its sort of a as is sale due to the fact that it was not a new boat. however he asked directly about the trailer and its condition. the salesman, (trusted party) did not tell the buyer the whole truth. this is where the problem stems from. if the salesman had said either "no idea what is going on with it" or "we have not checked it out" or even "dang man I wouldn't tow that thing at all" then he would have released his liability as the dealer, not in the event of a catastrophic accident, but in the event of a failure in the front yard.

Now it is in the dealers court to make the customer happy to save their local reputation. it does not matter if it is someone who pays 20$ or if its someone buying a suped up mastercraft with 100K worth of junk on it. its still an customer, you treat them right and do not attempt to be fraudulent!!! The dealer can tell the OP where to stick it, and what they do is going to determine the outcome of their reputation.

Also: it was the boat that was in questioned condition. not the trailer. the trailer was sold as a 2004 trailer or what have you, and was sold in great condition.

cribber

Lieutenant

Alpheaus... Dude make your displeasure known that you were seriously misled to the owner. Then lawyer up because that dealer put you, your family, and others' in harms way buy selling you an unroadworthy trailer. There definitely was not "full disclosure" when thay guy swapped out the trailers and left you with rust. Just pick up the phone and ask for a consult, shouldn't cost you anything and find out your rights.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I don't need a lawyer. I think once the owner gets involved this will get fixed. He has a pretty big business and He didn't get it that way from being stupid. I don't think He knows what this salesman said or did. Ill wait and see. Its winter I'm not in a hurry right now to take it out. I have another boat to go cruising on...

I think this whole situation has been a pretty big learning experience. I read all of these posts on here about what to look for when purchasing a used boat and never even thought about paying just as much attention to the trailer. Tunnel vision I guess...

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One thing that seems to be overlooked here is the salesman stated the trailer was good. Did he put that in writing. Hopefully the dealer will work with you to get you whole again, but it could easily come down to he said/you say. Without anything in writing, you may not have a trailer jack to stand on (so to speak).

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Today when I got home from work my neighbor was outside. He is one of the ones that helped me get the boat up on the blocks. He said He told this story to one of his friends that works for the local TV news. I guess he expressed interest in this story. I told him I want nothing to do with it. I cant justify causing a huge to do because it will ultimately hurt MasterCraft and I honestly feel its not the trailers manufacturer that's at fault here...

A suggestion, keep that local tv station in the loop. Tell them you are attempting to work with the dealer and will let them know how this goes. If you don't get satisfaction, let them run the story, making sure you don't mention MasterCraft as the source of the problem. If the dealer works something out to your satisfaction (and that doesn't have to mean a new-new trailer) tell the station you think they should do a story on how an unfortunate problem was taken care of by a local business. Real positive story for the dealer and something besides of the the drunken bum on drugs beat up the dog down the street because the dog was eating a 7 week old hot dog bun (I'm sure you get the drift).

With over 20 years in media, I always was willing to try to make sure we covered positive stories, especially with the local angle.

Last edited:

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Without any witnesses to what was said by whom, or anything in writting, I doubt that the dealer will do anything. Period
Marching into the dealership to resolve the issue calmly without threatening to bring in lawyers or the media or letters from lawyers might get you satisfaction.

But if you do the later right off the git go, the dealer might just tell you to go pound sand.
The dealer will claim the purchaser only wanted the boat and some way to get it home. So the dealer offered to throw a junk trailer that they would never sell for daily use under the boat to get it home. A trailer that the dealer felt was good enough for another ten miles or whatever the one way trip was.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm more interested in the situation this guy is in.

How is he going to get the boat either to the dealership to put on a new trailer......

OR

How do you move a boat from one trailer to the other when it's out of the water and there's no crane at your house??

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I'm more interested in the situation this guy is in.

How is he going to get the boat either to the dealership to put on a new trailer......

OR

How do you move a boat from one trailer to the other when it's out of the water and there's no crane at your house??

It can be done by using jacks and blocks...A royal pain but is doable.
If it were mine it would already be on blocks instead of that trailer.
I would be afraid of the trailer failing even more and punching a hole in the hull.
Then i would be at that dealer with whats left of the trailer in the back of the truck..;)

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I was planning on getting a flat bed tow truck to pick up the boat and trailer and take it to the marina where I keep my other boat and having them lift the boat off of the trailer with there fork lift and set it on the new trailer. I think that would be the safest way...

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

I was planning on getting a flat bed tow truck to pick up the boat and trailer and take it to the marina where I keep my other boat and having them lift the boat off of the trailer with there fork lift and set it on the new trailer. I think that would be the safest way...

Right, but at whose cost :)

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Right, but at whose cost :)

I agree. I would wait to see what the dealer is going to do as far as a trailer. He HAS to have means to get it off the trailer and onto the new used trailer.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Without any witnesses to what was said by whom, or anything in writting, I doubt that the dealer will do anything. Period
Marching into the dealership to resolve the issue calmly without threatening to bring in lawyers or the media or letters from lawyers might get you satisfaction.

But if you do the later right off the git go, the dealer might just tell you to go pound sand.
The dealer will claim the purchaser only wanted the boat and some way to get it home. So the dealer offered to throw a junk trailer that they would never sell for daily use under the boat to get it home. A trailer that the dealer felt was good enough for another ten miles or whatever the one way trip was.

I agree thats the right approach at first, is to be calm and bring in some pictures to show what happened and how this could have been a major disaster. If you approach it that way, and they tell you to pound sand and do nothing for you, then you can decide how to approach it.

Only you and the dealer know "Exactly" what was said to you about the trailer. If he did in fact say that his techs went over the trailer and said it was good to go..Then I would would expose them for the frauds they are, because at that point they had no regard for you, or you family and were just out to get your money.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

A few things come to mind with this ....

First, based on the photos that you have posted of the frame, this trailer is so obviously near the point of complete failure, that you should have known what you were buying. I have to think that you merely took the salesman's statement at face value and didn't inspect the trailer to any significant degree. Given that you did notice some rust and thought enough about it to mention that fact to the salesman, I think you pretty much blew it on the "buyer beware" situation.

I also agree with other posters that you need to get the boat off of that hunk of junk asap. In lieu of that, consider blocking the boat between the frames, just to prevent failure and/or prevent damage to the boat if it does fail. Also, don't be surprised if a flatbed driver refuses to pull it up onto his truck. If I were such a guy, that is exactly what I would do, because that trailer is quite likely to fail under such stress.

As for liability, folks can argue all they want about what you should or should not have known. If that trailer had come apart on the road and killed someone or seriously injured them, I promise you that both the dealer and Mastercraft would have been sued. This is not a statement that suggests Mastercraft was at fault, it is merely a fundamnetal truth.

If I were the dealer, I would absolutely lose money on the deal, if that's what it took to make you happy. Why? Because his salesperson told you that the trailer had been inspected and cleared as roadworthy, and apparently you can substantiate that fact. Simply put, unless the dealer employs people to do such inspections, who have an IQ of about "6," are blind and have never heard of rust, no one looked at the trailer with the intent to inspect it. I can not come up with any other explanation other than that you were lied to - plain and simple. On that basis alone, the dealer has great deal of liability that "as is" language is not going to protect him from.

Further, who in the world would believe that no one at the dealership noticed the completely unsafe status of this trailer, given that it would have been seen without a boat on it? Based on your photos, you couldn't possibly miss that mess!

On proper care, what could a person using a trailer like that in normal use, have done to prevent what you see? Washing a trailer down in any normal fashion would not have prevented the condition that it is currently in. While some of the rust on the flat plate sections would have occurred due to paint chipping, the rust in the box frames clearly occurred from the inside out. Normal washing would have done nothing to prevent that.

Unless the original trailer is completely unusable, I think your best bet is to have the boat put back on it. You can then deal with the running gear as needed.

As for the dealer, if you are reading these posts, I think you better sit down with your sales person and explain the Ricky Ricardo theory of life to him .... as in Lucy! You got some 'splainin' to do!

???

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just got done reading through this whole thread. I think the best bet is to approach the dealer with the situation and see where he takes it. If he does nothing, then involve the TV news or consumer groups, but not unless he blows you off. I would want the original trailer it was on, if it wasn't sold already. I'd have little doubt that the dealer pulled a fast one in switching that trailer and that the salesman went far beyond the truth in this case. Hopefully the dealership's owner sees this.

The whole mess makes me think of a boat and trailer I looked at last month, it was completely rotted, the tongue had broken or sagged, so the owner took two 2x4's and bolted them in place to hold the weight. The worst part is that this wasn't a recent repair, someone had been using the trailer that way for a long time. I bought the boat anyway, limped it home, swapped the boat over to a new trailer, and the minute the boat was raised off the trailer, the rear half beyond the axle, broke off and hit the dirt. It was rusted out along the top edge of the frame, removing the boat and the stern tie downs let it just collapse. The worst part was that the last owner had just made a 100+ mile drive with the boat to his winter home to sell it. It had so many wood patches and added boards I was wondering weather to sell it for scrap or just burn it for heat.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

C Channel or tube all boat trailers should be GALVANIZED.....a painted trailer that goes into water just does not make sense to me at all...I have a 16 year old Load Rite used in salt water and there is no rust on the galvanized portions only the hard ware had to be replaced...trailer is very solid but a painted trailer around here would be in the junkyard a long time ago....I'd report that to the NHTSA that's an accident waiting to happen....

Status
Not open for further replies.