Volvo Penta 5.0Gi Fuel pump overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJPaul

Cadet
Hi guys,
I have a 2000 Larson 226SCI with a Volvo Penta 5.0Gi. My fuel pump burned out due to a fuel restriction on anty-syphin valve. ( I hope I speld it right). I replaced it, got a new pump ($800.00), also replaced the fuel pump fues that burned out BAD. The pump that is feeding the fuel to the injectors heat's up with in 50 sec. to 1 min. and it gets so hut that I can't even touch it with my hands,.. I'd say it gets to apx 150F - 180F. Could that be a bad relay or a altornator giving way to much.
Hope someone can help me out. I am out of options and I don't have that much money to take it to a dealer for fixing.
Please help.
Thank you all in advance

DJ Paul

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta 5.0Gi Fuel pump overheating

Could be low on 12 volt power, From bad power or ground some where, I know that pump always runs hotter anyways, Also the little hoes going to the fuel pump assy I believe are water hoes to help cool the fuel in the tank of the pump. Might want to check fuel pressure just to make sure it is getting enough fuel thru the system to help keep it cool.

DJPaul

Cadet

Could be low on 12 volt power, From bad power or ground some where, I know that pump always runs hotter anyways, Also the little hoes going to the fuel pump assy I believe are water hoes to help cool the fuel in the tank of the pump. Might want to check fuel pressure just to make sure it is getting enough fuel thru the system to help keep it cool.
well I don't have the tools to check the fuel pressure, but I guess I will have to get one. They are only $40.00 and could be well worth it. The water is flowing fine in the pump. I already checke that one. the old fuel pump was running just fine until the syphon valve got stuck and burned the pump,.. I did run the engine for about 2 1/2 hours on the old pump, and everything was fine on the pressure and the temp on the pump. And I didn't touch the pressure regulator at all,.. so I wouldn't think that the pressure could be off.
But what would be the pressure reading for that engine?
I will check the ground tomorrow. I am hoping that that is the case.
Thanks for the quick respond.

Paul

Fun Times

Staff member

There is a lot of info on a hot volvo fuel pump on this fourm for you to keep an eye on while waiting for help with your thread, By the way it is in the wrong area of the fourm and more then likely will get moved down to the merc/volvo/omc, i/o area.But here is some good links I found for you to help out.Good luck with it. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=262705 This guy called volvo and found this, and this is what I was going to say to look for.http://forums.iboats.com/showpost.php?p=1797914&postcount=4 http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=269256 http://forums.iboats.com/Volvo-Penta/Fuel-Pump ON this last link scroll down and look up fuel, then scroll down some more and look up your year and I found some good reading in the year 2001 for you to help you out But I might have linked it here already. http://forums.iboats.com/Volvo-Penta/ Hope this helps you out some.:)

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta 5.0Gi Fuel pump overheating Attention "DON S" I need your help please

Re: Volvo Penta 5.0Gi Fuel pump overheating Attention "DON S" I need your help please

Hi guys,
I have a 2000 Larson 226SCI with a Volvo Penta 5.0Gi. My fuel pump burned out due to a fuel restriction on anty-syphin valve. ( I hope I speld it right). I replaced it, got a new pump ($800.00), also replaced the fuel pump fues that burned out BAD. The pump that is feeding the fuel to the injectors heat's up with in 50 sec. to 1 min. and it gets so hut that I can't even touch it with my hands,.. I'd say it gets to apx 150F - 180F. Could that be a bad relay or a altornator giving way to much.
Hope someone can help me out. I am out of options and I don't have that much money to take it to a dealer for fixing.
Please help.
Thank you all in advance

DJ Paul
I checked everything posible to see why my high pressure fuel pump is getting super hot. Didn't find anything, but the dealer said that they will exchange the pump on Monday. So once I get the new pump and if it's still heating up like a grill, I will have no other choice but to take it in to the dealer and have them look at it. But before I do that, I would like to check the pressure regulator. Do you know what the reading should be. Here are the engine spec's:
Volvo Penta 5.0Gi
S/N 4012004105
Prod. # 3869057
Typ 50Gi Pefs
Year 2000
Thanks in advance

Paul[/

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I checked everything posible to see why my high pressure fuel pump is getting super hot. Didn't find anything, but the dealer said that they will exchange the pump on Monday. So once I get the new pump and if it's still heating up like a grill, I will have no other choice but to take it in to the dealer and have them look at it. But before I do that, I would like to check the pressure regulator. Do you know what the reading should be. Here are the engine spec's:
Volvo Penta 5.0Gi
S/N 4012004105
Prod. # 3869057
Typ 50Gi Pefs
Year 2000
Thanks in advance

Paul[/

What is this? Posted by boat tech, signed by Paul[/.
Who is asking what here. ................ I'm soooooooooo confused :confused:

Fun Times

Staff member

Sorry Don I was trying to help this this one and DJ paul private messagees me the engine spec's and I have no way of getting the right info for him, [Fuel pressure] And also I had no way to get back to him because he turned OFF his private massages, So I was hoping you could find the fuel pressure for this engine and post it up for him so that maybe when he comes back on he will find the info he is in need of. Sorry about all that, And I hope you can help me help him out:) Thank you so much for your time.

Don S

The pumps are cooled with the fuel that runs through them. Since there was a plugged up anti siphon valve, my guess is the anti siphon valve is either plugged up again, or the screen on the pickup is clogged up too.
Before taking anything apart, it's time to do some testing of the fuel system BEFORE it gets to the engine.
Go to the link below on testing the fuel system, read, understand, and actually do the tests to be sure the pumps are getting proper fuel.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=283269

Even if you did nothing more than check the fuel pump pressure, if the pumps can't get fuel properly, you will never get good pressure.
Here is a link to download manuals for the EF model. Time to do a lot of reading and understanding of what you have.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/14518190/c08a758e/EFsharing.html

I really think you will find the problem is something before the pump, not engine related.

DJPaul

Cadet

The pumps are cooled with the fuel that runs through them. Since there was a plugged up anti siphon valve, my guess is the anti siphon valve is either plugged up again, or the screen on the pickup is clogged up too.
Before taking anything apart, it's time to do some testing of the fuel system BEFORE it gets to the engine.
Go to the link below on testing the fuel system, read, understand, and actually do the tests to be sure the pumps are getting proper fuel.

Even if you did nothing more than check the fuel pump pressure, if the pumps can't get fuel properly, you will never get good pressure.
Here is a link to download manuals for the EF model. Time to do a lot of reading and understanding of what you have.

I really think you will find the problem is something before the pump, not engine related.

Well I got the new pump, and everything ig perfect. Looks like the pump was difected

DJPaul

Cadet

Well I got the new pump, and everything ig perfect. Looks like the pump was difected

DJPaul

Cadet

Thank you boat tec and Don for the great advise and all the links you have sent me to learn more about my boat. The links were very helpful, and you guys are great as well.

I checked the pickup stick and the anty-siphon valve and also I checked the gass tank. Everything was good. Didn't got the spec's for the fuel pressure, but I didn't think that that was the problem at all in the first place. The new pump was difected, and just yesterday I got the replacement and it everything works like a million dollars.

Well it's time to go and have some funn, and fish a little.
Again, thank you all for all your help.

DJPaul

mkthomp

Recruit

Don we are having the same problem but no solution yet. We have 5.0L Cobra inboard/outboard. Spent $200 at shop they changed spark plugs, spark Ok checked timing ok put fuel filter in and fuel treatment, injector cleaner, still not fixed. We checked Anti-siphon was plugged changed it, whining in low pressure fuel pump, changed fuel pump and still not enough RPM. Also the new low pressure fuel pump started heating up. Changed the fuel pump relay also. Running fine this happened overnight. Put gas in boat and then problems began. Any suggestions / mkthomp

Don S

Best to start a new thread with your question, or yours will be lost after 1 or 2 replies when it's tacked onto someone elses old thread.

r32rtb

Recruit

Check the cooling lines for restrictions. Mine were full of mud and after blowing them out and the lines in the pump, no more over heating issues.

Don S

r32rtb
First, welcome to iboats.
Second. Please do not reply to old posts. The last 2 are from 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.