Saturn Tunnel Hull Inflatable - good boat?

surfexplorer

Recruit
I'm new to the forum. Pretty new to boating.

I'm researching boats for getting 3 or 4 guys to remote surf breaks sometimes with light camping gear and supplies.

I'm thinking one of the tunnel hull "sport cats" at around 14' will be a good way to go for speed, efficiency and comfort over chop.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this will be a good setup?

Also, does anyone have any experience with Saturn boats? (http://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable_boat_X-CAT1.asp)

I guess you get what you pay for so this probably won't be as good as the $5,000 + models. Even the "hijackers" look to be of a cruder design than some of the other models I've seen pictured from DUX, AMI, Ceaser, etc. Given that, is it still a serviceable boat?

Any thoughts appreciated.

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Saturn Tunnel Hull Inflatable - good boat?

welcome to the forum, a cat is always a good choice if you like speed and ride alot of surf or like to jump a couple of waves, I personally do not know how the saturn goes, as I only race ceasar boats ......

gobigkahuna

Seaman

I'm also a surfer and am also shopping for a boat, although mine will also serve part-time as a platform for my work. SurfExplorer, where are you located? I'm on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I also looked at the Saturn Tunnel Hull but my big concerns with that boat is what looks like a tiny cockpit and deeper draft. I'm not sure you could load several surfboards + humans in that thing. I also wonder how close to shore it can go for beaching. The photos on the Saturn site shows what looks like a "bulbous bow" under the waterline. I'm just going by the same photos you're looking at, so I could be completely wrong.

surfexplorer

Recruit

I'm in Northern California.

I recently saw a surf cat-type boat out at one of the spots and it blew me away.

He had to be doing 40 + knots while most of the regular inflatables might be doing 16 or so. Plus it was cutting through the water with what looked to be an incredibly smooth ride.

I have limited budget so I'll either have to wait for a used one to come along from one of the bigger brands or hear some positive feedback on the Saturn.

I don't know enough about boating to know if the design is good or not but going by the photos sponsons or "highjackers" definitely looks a little more clunky and less streamlined than some of the others especially in the front portion under the bough.

On the other hand, this may be what is need to carry more weight.

Any thoughts from the more experienced boating gurus?

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

I love this boat and I think it well be very good choice for what you need with the right outboard I have the 2008 x-13 it is made in Korea and the only problem is that the floor board are made out off marine plywood and it is not holding well with the water!! it is a WET ride but the new one have an aluminum floor and that is a good upgrade how ever the new ones are made in China and they are cheaper than the Korean ones I talked to the dealer today and that what I got from him

deejaycee_2000

Captain

these cats can hold 3 people at most for ultimate speed if you have a 50hp on there otherwise i would not have more than 2 people on there, these boats can run in very shallow water (about a 1 foot deep) and can ride up on the beach easily without a problem (we run far up so the co-pilot can run past the winning line) ..... I can get you guys some contact info on a cheap good boat from korea that is a perfect copy of our boats ...... anyone want?

surfexplorer

Recruit

Thanks Deejaycee,

I'm going to be deflating the boat and carrying in the back of an SUV. A 50 horse seems pretty big to be lugging around by hand so I was thinking 30-40 horse maximum.

I'm not concerned about ultimate speed, anything over 30 knots will be fine - the more the better though obviously.

Do you think 14' tunnel hull sport cat will do 30 knots + with that size motor with 3 people plus light camping (waterproofed) equipment aboard?

Will the boat be wallowy and sluggish with that much weight or will it handle reasonably well?

Thanks for your help.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

yep you should be able to do 30 knots, depending on how much 3 people weigh adn depending on what prop and engine setting you are running, just make sure you get a 3-cyl motor ....