'89 Johnson 48 SPL Hard to Start, but then runs great?

dtrichmond

Cadet
Here's the issue. I have a hard time getting this 1989 Johnson 48HP SPL started, but when I do get it running it runs great. I was going to change the sparkplugs, but it runs great once started. It seems to help if I'm running the boat and ready to stop if I unplug the fuel, and nearly run it out of gas. I'm thinking that its flooding, and maybe the floats are stuck. Any ideas before I buy carb rebuild kits?

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '89 Johnson 48 SPL Hard to Start, but then runs great?

If you prime the fuel before starting unpluging the fuel line prior to stopping will have no effect.
Is your choke working correctly, fully closing the choke plate when opparated.

dtrichmond

Cadet

I wasn't priming before starting, because I suspected that it was flooding. As far as the choke operating properly, I suspected that as well, because there is a small plastic bushing that is missing from the rolling plate that controls the choke position. At that point, I manually pushed the choke to the closed position, and it didn't seem to have any effect.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

replace the bushing

dtrichmond

Cadet

After further reveiw, The bushing is controlling the position of igintion things under the flywheel.

One thing I need to know is on the electric choke, there is a red lever on the side (I think to go from automatic to manual choke). I've messed with it, and I don't see any markings that indicate what position of the lever is what. Can anyone help me with this? Also, I checked the resistance from the blue wire and to ground, and the resistance is good, so the choke should be working properly. Before I start it up again, I want to know that I have the lever in the right position.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

This engine doesn't have a choke -- it has a primer which is primer solenoid with the little red lever you mentioned. With the lever parallel to the solenoid body the unit is in the manual mode and fuel will pass freely to the carbs for starting. Attempting to run the engine in that position will cause it to flood. Turning the lever to its other position causes fuel to flow only when the key is pushed in while in the RUN or START position. If you hear the solenoid click as you push the key in the primer is probably ok but may be plugged.

ob

Admiral

Another easy way to remember the position of the red lever on the side of the primer solenoid is "clockwise" until it stops is the normal 'run' position and will open with a push of the key.Counterclockwise for manual prime.If you suspect that one or both carb float needles are not seating try pumping the fuel primer bulb before cold startup until it gets completely firm with medium hand pressure.If the bulb never gets completely firm then you either have a fuel leak between bulb and carb inlets or one or both of the float needles are not holding.

dtrichmond

Cadet

The bulb gets rock hard, so I'm assuming I'm good there. As far as the position of the red lever, you're saying that if it is positioned fully clockwise in its travel, this should be normal run position, and fully counterclockwise is manual position.

Another concern. I pulled off the fuel pump cover to find that it had no screen. Should this motor have a screen covering the diaphragm?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

This is the normal run position:

Primercloseup.jpg

And yes, there is a screen(or should be) where you remove the fuel line to the pump.

dtrichmond

Cadet

Thanks for your help. I'm rebuilding the carbs tonight. I'll update with what's going on.