Over Heating and Confused..

Cptkid570

Ensign
Re: Over Heating and Confused..

We all know that water takes the easiest path.. . it seems to be going to one side more than the other for you.. sorry for my lack of technical definitions, but in your T, does it have the balls in it? maybe they aren't set correctly? I'm wondering if you could do the temperature test at the T and see if one side is hotter than the other.

That being said, since you have that temperature tester, you could probably test the entire water path on both sides and try to fiind where it starts getting hotter on the left?? Just trying to throw suggestions out there..

GunHoInc

Seaman

I have the newer style water neck that doesnt have the valves in it. But thanks for the suggestion.

I went to the marina to get the gaskets and talked to my mechanics. They said to put a water hose on the left exhaust side and see if the hose builds up pressure. If so, it's blocked. If not it's clean. They also said the water hose on my out drive going into the boat wasn't the right hose. They said someone put a straight hose on it instead of the preformed one that's supposed to be there. They said they are sure it's getting kinked when I drop the trim. So I tested the
manifold and it is clear. I'm going to have the shop replace the hose on the out drive this week. I'll post up and let you know if that's the isssue, or if I just wasted more cash.

dAvE :D

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

They noticed the hose being wrong before and never mentioned it? That can be a major issue if it were to totally kink.

GunHoInc

Seaman

I think I heard them mumble it once or twice. But after I told them about the over heating issues they probably should have spoke up a little louder. LOL

It was kinda like "I wonder if it could be that hose!?." Nahh, Lets try something else first.

But when I went there today and talked to the mechanics, they said that the guy who did my empeller said that wasn't the right hose. And the right one is molded so it won't kink.

dAvE

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

GH I chimed in earlier on this thread and have been following as it has been playing out for you. A few question's when you said you talked to your mechanic are they gonna foot the bill for @least the labor for re-installing something that doesn't belong in the lower end when they changed your impellar and can cause damage to your new engine without @least saying something to you when they noticed it the first time. Also is this the same place that sold you the new housing that you more than likely did'nt need?. Like you said earlier in this thread you are a guy that likes to get things done now (impatient) or something to that effect. I just hate to see you keep throwing money away and not getting any satisfaction but an expensive learning curve. I would suggest speaking with the marina manager if this is the same place you have gotten all your parts and work done to this point. I sure hope things turn out postitve for you on this next possible solution to your problem.

GunHoInc

Seaman

Actually it was the shop manager that sugested all the other stuff. But he don't think it's the hose. It was the mechanics that noticed the wrong hose. But I'm pretty sure they didn't remove it and put it back on. They just noticed it when they did the empeller.

Granted, if this doesn't fix the issue then I'm taking it to a different shop with a list of everything thats been done. It has to be in the outdrive as everything else has been checked. Empeller, Water neck, thermostat, water pump, risers and exhaust manifolds. That either leaves a kinked hose, or a leak in the outdrive, or even both. And if that is the issue, than yes I should be pissed as they knew the hose was wrong and it should have been the first suggestion when they heard I had a temp related problem.

I know some of you suggested to check this hose for a kink, but I wasn't sure where the hose was untill the mechanics pointed it out on another drive. Now that I look at mine it doesn't look right to me either.

dAvE

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to try and do a test run this week. If it runs hot at high rpm then it must be in the water seal on the impeller like stated. If that's the case I'll pull the alpha 1 apart and change out the seals. They just replaced the impeller and may have missed something.

dAvE :confused:

Dave, Have you taken a look at possible blockage at point "C" in the below diagram (oil Cooler?) there looks like there is also another type cooler (see the back of the motor in the image)

There may be parts in there from long ago, or when even from the one they just replaced... they will not flush through the system. You may still get water, but you may not get enough flow to keep it cool.

CoolingSystem.jpg

GunHoInc

Seaman

I think the junction in the back of the motor is where the water hoses connect through the transom (back of the boat) I think your right about the low water flow though. I'll check the hoses and see if I can back flush and see if the water comes out.

Thanks for the suggestion!

dAvE

ziggy

Admiral

going back to post 14 in the thread. i think the top half of the tread might be a good thing to do. that is, test the outflow from the drive. there's a specification as to how much water should be put out from the drive. you'll have to look through the s/m to find the spec. but i'm sure there is one and a test that can be performed to confirm proper outflow going to the engine.

if your shop noticed the water hose in your drive as being sub standard and left ya hanging on that idea. i'd change shops too. that hose is easy to see and the whole cooling of your engine would be susceptible to any issues with that hose being bad. i don't know if there's a premolded hose for the proper replacement part for that or not. my 1 drive. the proper replacement hose from mercruiser was not pre molded. it's also no ordinary hose. it's very stout. you have to help it along to keep it from kinking.

on a side note, if you replace that hose, put it on the gimble housing first, then route it back to the bell housing. in two years, i've done two hoses. the first one i kinked. i believe when i replaced the 1st hose, i inadvertently preloaded the hose for a kink. i did that by putting the hose on the bell housing first, then the gimble housing. that hose is the most miserable hose to replace that i can think of. no room to work. if you put the hose on the gimble housing first, as the hose come routing down the side of the bellows, it will be a straight shot into the bell housing. hence, i don't think it'll be twisted or preloaded for a kink, like the first one i did. going the other way. it's near impossible to get the hose onto the gimble housing. if it's twisted, it may be preloaded for another kink.
i read somewhere that if you can replace that hose on your drive, you can work on anything. it's a most painful hose to R&R...

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

You see ZIG little tid bits of info like that being shared helps someone who has not performed that type of maintenance to there outdrive. So just as in routing hydraulics keep it in it's relaxed state.

GunHoInc

Seaman

I was looking at the bellhousing diagram on the net. The hose isn't molded on the alpha one. It is on the Bravo but not the alpha. It must be a thickness issue. I know mine is a thin tan hose from auto zone. Or at least thats what it looks like. In any case, if it even has a remote possibilty of kinking, it's gotta go.

dAvE

GunHoInc

Seaman

UPDATE:

They are working on my boat today. (finally)
They did a water volumn check and it is getting a quart less than it should per whatever. So hopefully the hose was the problem. They said they will do another check after the hose is replaced. I'm also having them replace my trim guage sending unit while they are in there. Mine was cracked and the guage didn't work.

Also I asked about how old my outdrive was and he said it's hard to tell as it's an aftermarket outdrive.

dAvE

GunHoInc

Seaman

Update 2:

Got the boat back from the shop. They replaced the hose on the outdrive. New one is much shorter. They also fixed my trim guage, Trailer switch, and tilt switch. They found them to be wired wrong.

The shop owner swears I should be using restrictor gaskets on my risers instead of the open 4 slotted type. I told him ill test it and take a temp reading. If it's still running hot, ill try the restrictor gaskets and do another temp reading.

Ill post up more after the test run on Sunday.

dAvE

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The shop owner swears I should be using restrictor gaskets on my risers instead of the open 4 slotted type. I told him ill test it and take a temp reading.

You should have listened to them, they were right. With your setup you need the restrictors.

Read the link i posted back on reply #8

GunHoInc

Seaman

Now I'm confused. 4a in the bulletin says to use the 4 slotted type gaskets if all the water from the waterneck goes to the elbow at the bottom of the manifold. Thats the setup I have. Am I reading it wrong?

Let me know as I bought a set of both so I could test them out.

Just as a quick recap:

The motor ran hot at WOT. I changed the waterneck setup, and installed the 4 slot gaskets. Then the engine temp was fine but the risers were getting hot. 180+. Then I just had the outdrive hose changed for the correct hose, but havnt tested it yet.

Thanks, dAvE

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

What was replaced when they did your impeller in the drive? I've seen more than one gen I alpha or pre that had this type of problem because the lower housing was not changed on an impeller job when it was damaged. The plastic on the lower hsg directly around the shaft melts slightly and has a rolled over looking lip into the water passage. If this surface is not perfect looking with no "lip" around it it won't seal well with the gasket between it and and the SS plate under the impeller.

I can't count the number of problems like this I've seen from a "bad" impeller job. I've seen it from customers, other shops, and even guys at my shop.
Just because it's already been changed doesn't mean it was done correctly.

James

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Now I'm confused. 4a in the bulletin says to use the 4 slotted type gaskets if all the water from the waterneck goes to the elbow at the bottom of the manifold. Thats the setup I have. Am I reading it wrong?

Let me know as I bought a set of both so I could test them out.

Thanks, dAvE

Depends on what therm hsg you have on at the moment.

James

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Depends on what therm hsg you have on at the moment.

Right now, that is the biggest question.

We now have to read all 77 posts to find out what you have at this point in time.
You need to figure out how your engine is now plumbed and put the proper gaskets in place. Cause I'm not going to read all the replies to see what is going on. I normally give up on a thread when it hits 30 or over a period of over a month. Just way to hard to keep up with all the threads.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Right now, that is the biggest question.

We now have to read all 77 posts to find out what you have at this point in time.
You need to figure out how your engine is now plumbed and put the proper gaskets in place. Cause I'm not going to read all the replies to see what is going on. I normally give up on a thread when it hits 30 or over a period of over a month. Just way to hard to keep up with all the threads.

You Sir, appear to have amazing commitment to helping people with their boats. I applaud your effort. I just came hear today looking for possible posts on an air conditioning problem with a customers boat and somehow found myself sucked into registering and throwing in my $.02 on a few problems.

James and oh by the way "thread hijack over"