aaaand so it begins - starcraft rebuild

willyrocket

Seaman
Re: aaaand so it begins - starcraft rebuild

Hey, NB, remember that second project I had in mind - 16 footer for early season stripers? I found her on craigslist for 400 bucks. I doubt I'll get this one - no title = big problem - but it's exactly the boat I had in mind. Now I know the hull I want is out there. I'm sick. I know. But hey, man, you started it!

That 16 went quick.........:mad:

North Beach

Commander

OK Matt, I'm back from the dead (again) and we need pics:D

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That 16 went quick.........:mad:

Yeah, it sure did. I was a little discouraged when, just for kicks, I tried to locate that hull anywhere. Not to be found. Watch this, next one I find will be listed @ 1500.

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Humm, interesting, it takes 32 pool noodles to fill an 18 footer.

I thought about going that way - but it's still too cold up here for the pool toys to start hitting the shelves. I went with what I could get my hands on. Are there any pool noodle shots in your thread? I'd be interested to see how they went in.

targetpanic

Seaman

I've been following along this project and am thoroughly impressed with what you've done. Some of the restos on this site are truly amazing.

Do you have any pics of your foam installed vertically for us???

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do - I'll post them tonight. Thanks for following along :)

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Where did you put the noodles, below the deck???
Anywhere I could, below deck and up under the cap along the rails mostly. I left out the floatation under the splash well. There wasn't enough room after I put all my goodies in there.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I thought about going that way - but it's still too cold up here for the pool toys to start hitting the shelves. I went with what I could get my hands on. Are there any pool noodle shots in your thread? I'd be interested to see how they went in.
Funny story about the noodles. I wasn't going to put any in at all but then my concience got to me so when I was putting in the bases for the seats I shoved them in through the holes in the deck. I probably would have gotten more in if I put them in before the deck.
Under the rails I just stuffed them in and the trim holds them in.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I love the idea of pool noodles under the sole. Just saying it makes me laugh.

North Beach

Commander

OK Matt. Finally got a few minutes to do a good read on your progress. Sounds like it's coming along well. Can't wait to see the vertical pink stuff shots. I toyed with the idea but got lazy and went the horizontal route, Keep at it man.

I've made some progress and I'll add it to my thread.

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, everyone. Here's a batch of pics for you.

These are from the day I did a final fit on the floor.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mpprovo...7855WxrgE&feat=directlink#5330636366196998578

http://picasaweb.google.com/mpprovo...7855WxrgE&feat=directlink#5330636367989694578

Here is the pink stuff cut vertical-style - that's just how I roll. The aluminum channel you see was factory. All of the wires and controls ran along this channel. I'm running 3" PVC inside this channel for all things 12 volt (want to keep 'em dry as possible). Even though all connections will be soldered such that no connections go under the floor, I'm taking this extra step. Steering and control cables will run along side the PVC - I'm not as worried about those.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mpprovo...7855WxrgE&feat=directlink#5330636377363298834

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...authkey=Gv1sRgCLis177855WxrgE&feat=directlink

I confess to not being totally fussy about getting floatation into every possible square inch. The photos are deceptive, though. There is A TON of foam there.

This is the beginning of my fuel line assembly. I'm running the fuel hose through PVC under the floor. Because the thought of trying to snake a rubber hose through some right angles in PVC didn't appeal to me, I ran the hose through the main straight section and then cemented the angles in after that.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...authkey=Gv1sRgCLis177855WxrgE&feat=directlink

I pulled two pieces of foam and ran the assembly against the bottom of the hull. I did this to keep it as far away from any fasteners or other sharp things as possible.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mpprovo...7855WxrgE&feat=directlink#5330636758116666498

scribe and cut the foam again and it's all tucked away.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mpprovo...7855WxrgE&feat=directlink#5330636761889129714

(Ok, did everyone see where Uncle Matthew's tape measure was in that last photo? He had a dilly of a time finding it after he put the floor back down. He said some words that maybe shouldn't be repeated)

Here is the PVC that will come up under the console:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mpprovo...7855WxrgE&feat=directlink#5330636766489241346

You can see my lines on the floor - the fuel line will come up between the front of the console and the back edge of the tank. There will be a tank cover to hide the whole mess.

Here is a shot looking to the stern. You can see both PVC channels. That damn fuel line would not straighten up for the photo. I let it lean - just this once.

You can see I'll need to modify the plywood for this section to accomodate where both channels come up. I'll seal all new edges with epoxy when it's time to do the whole topside with cloth and resin.

That's all for now, folks. Thanks for all of your input! The next three or four days look like rain - so it's back to the basement to work on the tank cover and finish the console.

North Beach

Commander

Looking good Matt! That vertical insulation really sucks:p
Can you tell by my posts I'm sufferin from sleep deprivation for a couple of weeks now?

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good Matt! That vertical insulation really sucks:p
Can you tell by my posts I'm sufferin from sleep deprivation for a couple of weeks now?
It sure does when you're trying to find a place to stand while you're doing it. I was trying to keep it all neat-like but the thin pieces out towards the gunnel kept snapping on me as I tried to maneuver my keister around.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Looking good Mat..

I tell ya, if Diane wasnt lurking over my shoulder, I prob would have skipped the foam part ENTIRELY! lol

There was a few pcs leftover and she was all upset thinking we would sink without em...Told her foam is really for a debri trail so the coasties can find us....She may never go out with me now! lol

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Told her foam is really for a debri trail so the coasties can find us....She may never go out with me now! lol

Hansel and Gretel have nothing on us, my friend.

This weekend was less productive than I'd hoped. My first setback was having the wrong rivets for the plywood. The home depot rivets work great for securing stringers back in place - but the heads are nowhere near big enough to hold the deck down. You know, the thing that most everything else will be attached to in some way? In my own little utopia where everything goes the way it does in my head, I would have had the floor secured and epoxied tonight. Whelp... if at first you don't succeed.... lower your standards.

Again, with the rain. Frig.

I did manage to get my windshield done this afternoon. I went to the depot and got the thickest stuff they had - 1/4 inch acrylic 2' X 4' sheet was $55. they didn't have lexan in that size or thickness. I bought the big sheet and small test piece - figured I'd test my heat gun method on the little piece and and return the big one if it didn't work. I was worried that the heat would discolor the acrylic. All went well. So I made a template out of cardboard.

and used it to cut the acrylic. The protective plastic is still on both sides here. I kept it on as long as I could. I had to remove it when it was time to heat the acrylic.

I used the router table to put a bullnose edge on the windshield before bending it. No pic, sorry.

I was going to make some kind of jig to bend the acrylic around, but then realized that the console itself was all the jig I needed. I set the piece in place and used weights to hold it down (uh... after I was done working out with them, of course). I used a heat gun on the corner ($30 depot jobbie that I had from back in the day). Key here - go slowly and heat the corner evenly. Don't force it, but use mild/moderate pressure to bend around the corner as the acrylic gets hot enough. Hold it in place for a few minutes while it cools and this is what you get (the console is face-down here):

Here's the final fit. Up close, it looks like something some guy made in his basement. But I can live with that @ $50 vs. who knows how much to have one made. There was certainly nothing at any price off the shelf (or web, as it were) that would fit my console. If this one breaks (it is surprisingly sturdy), I know how to make another one.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mpprovo...7855WxrgE&feat=directlink#5331769695197599986

I also picked up some half decent speakers on clearance at boater's world. I was going to put them in the console somewhere - but alas, I've run out of room. I decided to put them in the bench. You can see one of the cutouts and enclosures in the background of photo #2 above.

My time line keeps moving back. The minute I want to start rushing, I have to remind myself that this is the time to do sweat the small stuff. Rather than cut up my bench later for speakers, or try to make a windshield after everything's been painted, it's good to do it now.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

man...that was waaay schmart to heat and bend that acylic for the windshield Matt..Looks great, no, it doesnt look like it came outts somebody's basement!

I hear ya on the time line..I am s'posed to have mine ready for (get this)
an IBoat camp out on the 15th..OF THIS MONTH THOUGH!!!

Wouldnt be too bad but I'm hopping a plane for New York in the morning and wont be back till midnight next Sat...Imagine going to an Iboat event without a boat? Kinda like walking into a harem without a..Oh nevermind

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Good job on the wind screen. I would have never thought of bending it with a heat gun. Hey, keep all the spare pieces and when you get ready to paint, use them in your paint tray. It really makes a big difference in your finish when your roll your excess out on a smooth surface and your using the ultra smooth finish closed cell foam rollers.

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good job on the wind screen. I would have never thought of bending it with a heat gun. Hey, keep all the spare pieces and when you get ready to paint, use them in your paint tray. It really makes a big difference in your finish when your roll your excess out on a smooth surface and your using the ultra smooth finish closed cell foam rollers.

Will do, sschefer. Thanks for the tip.

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, it's been a few days. I've been picking away at the boat along with a host of other things. I don't have pics today - but I'll give you the verbal update anyhow.

The floor is finally riveted down and (mostly) covered with epoxy/fiberglass cloth. The riveting went fine. My buddy scored me some fabulous rivets at Graingers last week. 3/16 diameter, 3/4" grip, and a big button head. Poifect. The only concern I have with them is that the head is definitely raised above the floor. The fiberglass cloth and epoxy smoothed them over somewhat, but you'll be able to spot them even after the painting is done. Not ideal, but I'm living with it.

The epoxy/fiberglass cloth went ok. It was gusting 40 knots yesterday when I was working on this project. As a result, all kinds of debris from the tree directly above the boat wound up in the sauce. Nothing that can't be sanded out. I had to leave one section unfinished - I needed a place to stand while working. I'll finish that tonight. After that, I need to epoxy the bench, console, and tank cover. Whatever is left of the epoxy after that will go into the second coat on the deck.

I'm out of commision for the next week. I'm wearing my "guide" hat for a 5 day fishing trip to the cape. I've got six guys (my good fishing buddies, brothers, dad, etc.) coming from Vermont, New York, and Maryland for our annual "schoolie bass fly fishing fling". It's seven years running. It's always a great time. I did a little scouting from shore this past weekend. There are some fish around. Here's one little guy I met.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/7MfV0esq3azC3iO2bIndcA?feat=directlink

A little off topic, but these fish are a blast on the fly rod. Any of you saltwater guys on the fence about fly fishing - it's easier than it looks - and the most fun way to catch fish. Give it a shot.