1999 Bayliner Project

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1999 Bayliner Project

Wow! Totally awesome job bear!! Makes my lil boat look like a puddle jumper!! :D Very good documentation!

MikDee

Banned

Morning gang,

Also tried out the new Solas 18"p, still only 4600 rpm @ WOT!!!! and only 39 mph GPS... MikDee feels the large diameter is to much for this lighter hull, I feel he's correct... Props are like black magic, and real world testing is the only way to find the correct prop. Theory and numbers only get you in the ball park. The 14.75 x 18"p Solas holeshot was better than 20"p, but the Stiletto is still on top. So now the 19"p Stiletto is being exchanged for a 17"p due to only getting 43-4400 rpm at WOT but +40 mph and great holeshot! MikDee and I feel the 17"P will bring me into WOT range of 4800 rpm, get a great holeshot, and 41-42 mph.... MikDee has been a great help with this all! Thanks buddy!

Just found this thread again, Glad to help buddy, I almost feel like it's my boat ;) But, then I remember mine would never be that slick, neat, & purdy! :D

Geez, I miss those I/O's you can tweak them some, not so with an outboard, "ya got's, what ya got" unless you can afford to go bigger :rolleyes:

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey Gang!

It's been awhile!

Things are going well! " SS Hurry Up " is running great! MikDee has helped me with some tweaks, New spark plugs, Wires, Cap and rotor, really woke up the 3.0!

jse_stuff_002.jpg

Bob VT requested some info on bow seats, and deck so here are some pics buddy!

jse_stuff_003.jpg

jse_stuff_004.jpg

jse_stuff_005.jpg

Here is a cool shot my the University Memorial Union... Going there tonight to see a cool band!

jse_stuff_001.jpg

jse_stuff.jpg

Ran into some crazy waves last weekend! 3-5' white caps, and 20-30 mph gusts.... A boat capsized and sunk on the same lake that evening! all 7 passengers survived and needed to be rescued! " SS Hurry Up " did very well considering!

7designs

Seaman Apprentice

Bear,

The boat looks great. Your attention to detail paid off and you have an awesome boat now.

I have a plain white boat as well and have toyed with the idea of a stripe. I am thinking a single solid color stripe on mine. Keep it simple.

Also thank you for ending the discussion my wife and I was having. She wanted carpet and I wanted painted deck. We both liked how you had removable carpet and will be doing that on our boat. So thanks.

Once again great job on the boat.

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice pics my friend:), but I have to say.......

...they are not enough:D, Pleazzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeee, another vid!

Cheers!

etruchan

Recruit

Werd! I just picked up some new carpet as-well, mine has the same black mat on the underside like yours, but I have no snaps. Hmm gives me a thought, may be I would like some snaps. Carpet was $200, but He gave me 20', and for another $80 he gave me 10 yards on vinly marine upholstery, so I didnt do too bad.

I also need to rewire my trolling motor, hmm Damn everytime I read your threads, it makes me want to do more lol.

Great job man.

Mead,

Where did you get your carpet vinyl from. I live in Oconomowoc and have a trihull project that I am about to start. You got a solid deal.

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How does the Durabak feel on your feet?

Bear buddy, good to see you again! Now after spending the summer with that bada** ride, I want to know the same. How does the durabak feel on the feet? Also want to know if you and the misses have come up with any things that you wish you did different or want to add or subtract?

Again, nice to see you posting again. Been awhile.;)

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey Guy's

Been in deep lurk mode, still check out resto forum daily!

Summer went very well with the tub! No issues what so ever... We just returned from a week on a ten lake chain in Northern WI and upper Michigan, 6 days on the water exploring, fishing, and relaxing! I'll post some pics soon! The Durabak has held up great! I think if I did it again, my first coat would be textured and the second and third would have been non-textured. The triple texture coats are a bit much. The rough surface seems to hold dirt more than I expected, but cleans up very well with deck cleaner a brush and water. As far as the feet go, I mostly have snap-in carpet when I'm in the boat, but the texture isn't that bad on the feet, at all... I notice the the texture most when I'm cleaning the deck on my knees. The texture material is recycled rubber so it has some give. Overall I'm very happy with the product! Also note the white is very bright in the sun! Slightly off-white may have been a better choice, but I do like the look of crisp white.

Other kinda sad but good news, I've most likely sold the Bayliner to my boss (well his wife) If everything checks out on the inspection at the marina, and I'm pretty sure it will, (again his wife wanted this) It all goes down Wednesday! I'm sad cuz I love this boat, put over 6 months of my life in her, and understand everything about her, thanks especially to all the great friends and people I've met here on iboats! She's been a wonderful first boat and if taken care of will last many years... I wish I could afford to keep her... But over the summer we've determined a deck boat with an outboard more suits our needs and wants boating. The storage, flexibility, and layout for guests and fishing are great! It looks like were getting ready to purchase a new overstocked 2008 Hurricane 202 FDGS, with 150 4 stroke Yamaha outboard. The boat is super cool, Lot's of room for a 20' boat, storage galore, set-up for fishing, only takes 13" of draft! I'm sure I'll be messing and tweaking this boat also... :D

I'll keep you posted with progress!

Last edited:

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the update, bear. Congrats on the new deck boat. 14" draft is awesome! Almost a shame to see all that work get sold off. Will you have visitation? ;)

Is the weather still boatable for the deck boat or will you be biting your nails until spring?

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey Lowkee,

Thanks dude! My heart is torn for sure... I do love the Bayliner, but we quickly realized our needs and wants in a boat were not being met. I picked the Bayliner up from it's marine survey last night. Many of the folks that did the work or saw the boat said they've never seen a 1999 boat in this condition. The boat passed every test on the survey... At 4:00 today I sign the Bayliner title over, then My boss and his wife pick up the boat this weekend... The Hurricane is having it's trailer built as we speak. It's about 2-3 weeks out before I can pick up the boat. :(
Then I'm having a full waterline cover made, for storage and travel. Here is the boat link. http://www.hurricaneboats.com/hurricaneFDGS202ob.html

I feel like I'm selling one of my kids....

I should have at least one month of boating with the Hurricane before winter storage.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Gang,

New "SS Hurry Up" owners picked up the boat today... Kinda sad, but good... I'm confident she went to a good home! Here are the last pictures of the boat, on Cisco lake chain two weeks ago..

What a great experience I have with my first boat! Thanks again for all the guidance, and help iboats!

stuff%20002.jpg

stuff%20003.jpg

stuff%20012.jpg

stuff%20020.jpg

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

:eek:oh what a shame! You had one of my favorite boats period! You better have made a profit! I love the simple class of your boat. I intend to try my best at achieving that in my boat. I can only hope:redface: You did an amazing job! Hats off...

notsunkyet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey bear.... I read the part of your buddy making the cool trolling motor bracket... can ya share the measurements and all he did with us?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Bear,

That was a great project. I sure enjoyed the build, and you sure do top notch work. Your boss is getting a quality product.

So now its a deck boat, huh? Can hardly wait to see what you're going to do with it. Stereo, lighting, other mods? The only problem I see is if it will fit in the same space next to the driveway! :D

Thanks again for sharing your project, I know I learned a thing or two from it.

Mark.​

Cptkid570

Ensign

That's the hard parts with boats, there are so many varieties out there, sometimes it takes a boat to learn what kind of boat you really want. Heck, I'm on my 4th power boat (and that was after going through 3 sailboats!)

You did good work on that boat, and if you hadn't done such a good job, you may not have been in the position to buy your new boat. Not too mention that the knowledge you gained was priceless.

bear_69cuda

Commander

chrishayes

No profit dude... Thanks for the words... I miss this boat terribly... Still a week or so for the Hurricane. They removed from the showroom and are mounting the Yamaha Monday.

notsunkyet

I think I can get measurements from TM mount. But it was custom for this boat.

Mark42

Thanks for all the advice, support, and friendship. I learned from you as well dude! I'm sure the Hurricane will get some mods.. But she has most everything I could think of...

Cptkid570

Yeah man I hear you... The connections on iboats, skill learned and knowledge gained are priceless...

bear_69cuda

Commander

Gang,

Just wanted to share a pics of " Hurry Up II " I hope I can get her wet before the snow flys!

Cane2010%252520061.jpg

Last edited:

rudedawg

Cadet

Hello Bear, your Bayliner project was a masterpiece; I have read it over and over. Owning a 1996 Bayliner Capri I incorporated several ideas for fishing but for the life of me, unless I just missed it did not see how you gained access to thru bolt the trolling motor bracket. If you would please go into to detail on how you mounted the bracket I would be in your debt. I fab'd a bracket on the swim platform for my wireless unit but would prefer it on the bow.
BTW, an old Taylor 710 ce acoustic accompanies us on river trips.
Again, a fantastic article.
tightlines

bear_69cuda

Commander

Dawg,

Thanks for the compliments... I miss that boat!

I had the trolling motor mount custom made by a metal fabricator I work with. I mounted it on the bow with 4 SS bolts shimmed with rubber bushings. I'll look to see if I have any detailed pictures. I used old rubber stoppers (found in chemistry laboratories) that I drilled holes through, and cut to size. The ones furthest to port side are longer than the ones closer to starboard, due to the curve/shape of the bow rails.

I needed to remove the pads from the bow gunnel/gunwale so I could reach the nuts with a wrench.

jse_08MAR09_163.jpg

jse_08MAR09_081.jpg