Favorite Lakes

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Favorite Lakes

Here in Missouri we have some great lakes to choose from. The Lake of the Ozarks is one of my favorite mainly because it is closest to home but also because it has some great fishing and camping and other resources. Osage Beach has Stores, Marinas, Resturaunts every concievable thing you can imagine all accessable from water front. If your like I am and prefer the quieter side, the Mo conservation and DNR have some nice campgrounds. Some modern with RV hook ups and docks with slips and some primitive campgrounds with comfort stations. I like the southern arm of the lake best. We camp and put in usually at Brummley (small town just east of Osage beach) at the swinging bridges. Great campground (primitive) great access we will usually troll or fish the lower arm all the way to McCubbins point (another campground we use sometimes)about 6 mi from Bagnell Dam. Plennty of gas docks and stores to insure getting away from camp is no prob.
Some other Mo lakes that I really enjoy are lake Wappapella in the south east. Bull Shoals on the Mo/Ark border in the south west. Truman lake also has great fishing and many ammenities. Dave

cr2k

Captain

My favorite right now is Millerton Lake State Park. It is big and goes several miles up canyon. There are lots of people in the summer but there are places to get away from the crowds. Google Earth it and see. Of course I'm only 30 min. from walking out of the house with the ice chest to launching. Millerton is in Fresno/Madera counties. North of Fresno, East of Madera

Keep this in mind and if you come to CA and near here PM me and I'll take you to the lake and show you around.

There was a post about Bass Lake near Yosemite (Millerton is 20 miles south of Bass Lake) but it is a small lake paroled by the sheriff and has CCW traffic only. It does have beautiful surroundings as it was where "The Great Outdoors" was filmed.

Lake Havasu is nice but if you are a skier you will want to get up at the break of dawn and find a nice cove to ski in as the wind picks up mid-late morning and the lake is kinda rough the rest of the day. Tons of parting on the river below the dam (Parker AZ).

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I live in NE Ga and we are lucky to have an abundance of great lakes with beautiful mountain Veiws. My favorite is Lake Chatuge in Hiawassee, GA. Lake Hartwell is a extremely large lake but is a great lake. Lake Nottly in Blairsville, GA is a twin sister to Chatuge. Those are all Army Corp lakes. GA Power has several , Lake Burton and Lake Rabun are very scenic. All the listed lakes are Crystal Clear.

Come down south and have some fun!

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Northern Saskatchewan has about 100,000 lakes. They vary from smaller, shallow lakes to big lakes like Lake Athabasca and Reindeer Lake that one can't see across. For skiing and other water sports, the smaller, warmer lakes are better. But for fishing nothing beats the deep, cold lakes.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Lake St. Clair, one of the best fishing lakes in America. Love lake Huron too.

exsailor

Seaman Apprentice

I guess I'll toss out a vote for my neighborhood.......Lake Winnipesaukee in central New Hampshire. From Wiki........"It is approximately 21 miles (34 km) long (northwest-southeast) and from 1 to 9 miles (1.6 to 14 km) wide (northeast-southwest), covering 69 square miles (179 km2)?71 square miles (184 km2) with a maximum depth of 212 feet (65 m).

The lake contains at least 253 islands, half of which are less than a quarter-acre in size, and is indented by several peninsulas, yielding a total shoreline of approximately 288 miles (463 km). The driving distance around the lake is 63 miles (101 km). It is 504 feet (154 m) above sea level. Winnipesaukee is the third-largest lake in New England after Lake Champlain and Moosehead Lake."

I read somewhere that is one of the largest lakes in the country contained within the borders of a single state. I can tell you from personal experience that you can spend years exploring this lake and still have new things to discover. There are at least six municipalities that have free town day docks as well as any number of restaurants, bars, etc. that have their own docks.

bigballmtnsummitbig-2008-0510a.jpg

reap182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Lake george, lake cumberland, paint creek all have there own reasons and beauty

onthelake2010

Seaman

Lake of the woods (Canada & US). 65,000 miles of shoreline, 14,500 islands. Lakes on the islands.

On the hook.
picture.php

gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mark_VT and Bob_VT, ever try Lake Carmi in Franklin. Been doing Carmi every summer for 50+ years. Been wanting to try Champlain, but have lots of family, friends, and memories in Franklin....

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Mark_VT and Bob_VT, ever try Lake Carmi in Franklin. Been doing Carmi every summer for 50+ years. Been wanting to try Champlain, but have lots of family, friends, and memories in Franklin....

Never ice-fished it but hear it can be good. But as far as fishing from a boat, I sometimes get there almost every week, occasionally twice a week...

Carmi can be a challenge to fish, and for a lake only a few miles long, I have never seen another lake that size be able to produce 3' seas in a wind!

Carmi has the weirdest rocks I have ever seen (in New England). I hook them occasionally while fishing, and when they are not too big and result in a broken line, or the hook frees itself, I have "landed" a few. I can never decide if they're from a meteor or some volcano. But we don't have any volcanos in New England that I know of.

So, yes. I have been there :)

gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mark_VT, I'll be at Carmi the last week of July this summer, with a new Alumacraft. If you see me, flag me down and say hi...

Gary
DSCF0364a.JPG

Jackvinsly

Recruit

My favourite lake is in the India there is so many lake available but i liked Abu,this one place having a very atmosphere there was a little lake an there is so many people was riding in the littel bot it was amazing looking like place,

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Mark_VT, I'll be at Carmi the last week of July this summer, with a new Alumacraft. If you see me, flag me down and say hi...Gary

I might be around... That is a time when I am likely to be found at Carmi a lot but this year is going to be busy mid month!

Hoping for stellar weather for July as I am fishing at Oneida the night of the 9th through the 12th, then my two girls and I will be doing our annual vaca by boating from Albany NY to Burton Island the 14th - 15th, @ Burton Island 15th to the 17th, and overnight-ing on the boat the 17-18th so I will probably be working all week until the weekend due to being "off" the previous week. That almost sounds tiring!

You'll have to drop me a PM with contact info so I know when to look for you. Maybe catch a bite at The Old Bowling Alley. I love eating there!