Next Project

zach103

Commander
Re: Next Project

oh wow i havn't updated this thing in years... welll the deck was fully glassed over in one big sheet . than i had to put it outside for a while to work on the garage but it may be coming back soon as long as my dad doesnt care about his car... i really wanna get working on it.. i gota patch up the dash and glass that over.. than sand everything down and put a primer coat on it.. than start installing stuff

zach103

Commander

So got the boat back in the garage.. made some patterns for the gauges.. and than did the cuts for the steering wheel... took to old guages for fuel and volts.. than ill have the speedo and a tach.. on the other side is the switches...

I just got the floor paint which is a gray non skid from interlux .. also some 5200 for all the thru hulls.. .. What should i use for the bilge thru hull?

most of the holes on the cap ive filled and now its just on to making everything smooth.. as you can see ive been working on the bondo on the dash.. i had it pretty good but there were still some spots that were too low so i put another layer on and thats what you'll see in the pics..

There was a strip of glass where some water creeped in so i cut it where it was good than ripped it up.. thankfully i had a strip that was under it and the water wasnt really in there for long .. im glad i took my time and put resin down on everything first..

image000-11.jpg

image-14.jpg

zach103

Commander

Also the hull is covered in little spider cracks.. how do i fix this?

giterdone72

Seaman

Nice project zach....lookin good. getting ready to glass in my deck too. What did you use to fill in between your deck and hull joint?

zach103

Commander

construction adhesive.. it seemed to hold them really good before i even glassed them together

zach103

Commander

some paint on just to see how they look with each other.. also all of the electrical is done except for fuel and tach.. and that the battery cables

image000-12.jpg

image-15.jpg

zach103

Commander

ok so i need some opinions.. see the shelve looking things on top of the dash.. should i go with the blue on them so everythings blue. or should i paint them with the floor colored gray.. than do the engine part in the back gray too

soemthing like this

P1050847-1.jpg

zach103

Commander

ok so i finished up all the glass work yesterday so thats done.. today im just gunna fill in some more spots and with bond-o so everythings ready for paint.. .. paint maybe helped off till later this week depending on when im done with prep and the weather..

I have two questions i havn't gotten answered

1. What do i do for the bilge thru hull.. should i just get one for the bilge pump and cut off the hose fitting than 5200 it in place? i would rather have something on the inside of the transom holding it

2. the whole entire hull is filled with tiny spider cracks.. how do i get rid of them.. if i put some coats of primer and paint on it will they go away?

zach103

Commander

ya they all would.. jeeze i thought i searched the entire store.. i guess not..

One more question .. i want to paint the floor. now i want it to look good but there are some imperfections .. if i sand it down as much as i can than put a layer or two of primer and sand those will it work to get the floor smooth?

Willyclay

Captain

2. the whole entire hull is filled with tiny spider cracks.. how do i get rid of them.. if i put some coats of primer and paint on it will they go away?

I had the same problem and tried primer/paint without success. Maybe one of the experts can give us both some help. Grandpa is going to be proud of you!

zach103

Commander

so we have two coats of Brightside on the cap... third one tomor.. we did the inside sides of the hull with the gray non skid.. and my plan is to just do a white rustoleum on the outside of the hull.. but do i need a certain type of rustoleum or just any?.. Also is there anything i can put on top of the brightside to protect it .. like a clear coat on a car

Ill get pics up tomor

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You can use any Rustoleum though if your local Lowes carries the Marine version you may as well give it a try. I'm also a huge fan of Petit Easyposxy.

zach103

Commander

You can use any Rustoleum though if your local Lowes carries the Marine version you may as well give it a try. I'm also a huge fan of Petit Easyposxy.

Picked up some white gloss Rustoleum for the hul.. here are th pics after two coats.. the funny thing is that the i feel like the best part that came out clear is where the engine goes.. we did the side of the inside as you can see.. another coat and than some sanding the deck and that needs a few coats..

P1100486.jpg

P1100487.jpg

P1100488.jpg

P1100490.jpg

zach103

Commander

i have all the stainless parts for the boat but their in rough condition.. is there a way to get them looking new or do i have to buy new ones?

jserb

Chief Petty Officer

Z Money-

you gotta go new...if they are pitted they are shot. if there is no pitting you MIGHT have a shot at restoring them by getting some good polish and rub rub rub. But odds are the boat came with junk hardware. back then they didnt have the quality stainless that you can get today.
Dont be bumbed that you have to buy new, you have to look at it as how much better the boat will look with nice clean stainless..

P.S just caught up on your thread, and im hooked!

zach103

Commander

Jserb they are pitted but others seemed to be raised up not pitted.. what does that mean

and 25th.. your not getting rid of a Penn Yan are you? someone in town is getting rid of one. so im gunna call him tomorrow and see if i can get some parts off of it before he cuts it up.. the ad said that he still has the motor and outdrive still on it.. LEEESSS GOOOOO!!!!