1956 Johnson Javelin Water flow question

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a boat and it has a 1956 Johnson Javelin 30hp motor on it..i cleaned the carb and patched the fuel tank so it will hold pressure...

now that i have it running it sputters a bit but not to bad...However i put it in a big tub of water and let it run for a few minutes and it seems exhaust is coming out of both holes on the back of the motor...(right above the prop and the other half way up on the back towards the motor) NO WATER at all is coming out of any where that i can see and the water splashing up on the boot is sizzling off its so hot..

is there supposed to be water coming out some where? This is my first boat and i have no idea what i am doing..

Thank you all in advance for the help and if it would be easier you can give me a call 404 456 6826.

Again, thank you.

edit: pics added page 4

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1956 Johnson Javelin Water flow question

that is where a mist should come out. you probably need an impeller. or water plump kit.

here are your carb adjustments, 2 knob adjustments http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

impeller is sierra part # 18-3006 +- $15.00, water pump kit is $109.00

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that is where a mist should come out. you probably need an impeller. or water plump kit.

here are your carb adjustments, 2 knob adjustments http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352
mist should come out of which hole? and yes it has the 2 needles and i have top one back out 3/4 turn and the bottom 1 full turn.. im more concerned about the water flow issue as the motor runs pretty good...will idle not that smooth but it will idle and sounds good when giving it some gas??

is there any way to know for sure if it is the impeller? is there a site i can check that will have info on this old motor?

thanks

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh and thanks for the link i will follow this guide...

CATransplant

Admiral

Also, the leg of the outboard needs to be submerged to well above the horizontal plate above the prop. If it isn't, the impeller can't pump any water. A bucket's not deep enough. I use a 35 gal. plastic trash can put under the outboard on the boat's transom, and fill it up so the water is about halfway up the leg.

Still, you should replace the impeller, given the age of the outboard and the fact that it's new to you.

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah the water is barely obove the flat part of the impeller..... i dont think the boat is high enough to fit a 4ft tall trash can under it....

this forum is awesome and thanks for the answers so far!!

CATransplant

Admiral

You asked about the mist. The upper hole should have a mixture of water and exhaust coming out of it when the engine's running. There's no thermostat on that model, so the water should appear very shortly after you start the outboard. The rest comes out below the waterline. These models need to have the leg pretty deep in the water to work properly.

Again, given the age of your newly-acquired outboard, replacing the impeller is pretty much a necessary thing. Even if it's working now, old rubber can fail at any time. A new impeller is cheap insurance.

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys I will submerge the motor and see if i can get a mist....and where should i be able to find the impeller?? I got the carb rebuild kit from NAPA along with some new plugs.... thanks ill check back later..

tashasdaddy

i'm loading some pictures for you, you are in the right place for help.

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also is this a good motor? I had a boat mechanic offer me $750 for it and i only paid $500 for the whole boat, motor and trailer....

This is also a stick steer and all of the other ones i have seen have not been..

I was thinking about putting something newer on my boat and let someone have this motor that appreciates its more...

tashasdaddy

this is a 35 but same principle. the blue line is where the water level needs to be in a barrel. the green is the idle exhaust relief ports, and should at least have a mist coming out. the yellow is the main exhaust at higher speeds. the red is the water pickup. clik on pic to enlarge.

Attachments

• lower unit detail 001.JPG
    lower unit detail 001.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 0

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMG_0156.jpg

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here is the boat it is on...she is not pretty but we will see how she runs..i dont expect it to plane out...

boat.jpg

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this is a 35 but same principle. the blue line is where the water level needs to be in a barrel. the green is the idle exhaust relief ports, and should at least have a mist coming out. the yellow is the main exhaust at higher speeds. the red is the water pickup. clik on pic to enlarge.
ok thank you...now i know.. i find it odd that the water inlet is same hole as the exhaust... how does that work? lol

tashasdaddy

modified my pic, the black is where the water pump is located, it has to be covered when starting, as it is not self priming, and will not siphon up water.

that motor is not in bad shape. the Javelin is a very sought after motor.

got so excited looking at your boat forgot the pic.

Attachments

• lower unit detail 001.JPG
    lower unit detail 001.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

they are not the same hole they are located side by side. that motor will push that boat very well. when you have it tuned correctly it is more dependable than the new ones.

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

modified my pic, the black is where the water pump is located, it has to be covered when starting, as it is not self priming, and will not siphon up water.

that motor is not in bad shape. the Javelin is a very sought after motor.

i dont see where you are talking about....

and this motor is sought after? i dont know how much it is worth other than a guy offering me $750 and i thought that was way to much....but after looking for a newer motor id have to spend 1k+ for 15hp...

CATransplant

Admiral

Those are very nice outboards. They're very reliable, easy to work on, and the commonly needed parts are readily available. They need a 24:1 fuel:eek:il mixture (1 qt. per 6 gallon tank). That Javelin model is really attractive, especially on an older boat, too, and they're in demand among the classic boat crowd.

BTW, the impeller is available from NAPA as well as the other parts you mentioned.

Best of all, there are several people here with lots of experience on that outboard, so there are few questions you can't get answered here.