Tahoe Q6sport versus Q7i

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am a bit of a newbie...not completely green, but still taking baby steps...

I am looking into buying a 2008 Tahoe. The Q6 and the Q7 are pretty much the same size and have the same engine options. I know the Q7 has some standard equipment on it, that is considered an option on the Q6, but I am not sure I see where the additional $5K in price comes from...

Does anyone have any insight into these two models? Is the Q7 worth the extra investment?

Ret USN CPO

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tahoe Q6sport versus Q7i

I'm the same as you, I really couldn't find that much difference to warrant going up to the Q7. I am going to stick with the Q6 but am going to go with the 220HP V6. I talked to a guy a couple of days ago who has a 190HP V6 and said he loves it. I asked if wished he had gone with a bigger engine, and he said that he really didn't think he needed any more speed. He said he gets up to 50 mph and has no trouble pulling skiers.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

The only difference I saw with Q7i was that you got a wood grain console, bow ladder and anchor storage, better color options, larger ski locker and door, stainless steel prop, bow mounted nav. lights and rails. The only thing I don't like that maybe a design flaw is the rear bench seat does not flip all the way open because of the back rest. The two cushions prevent full opening and you have to hold the bench seat up with one hand to get to the storage compartment.

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with the statement above...that bench seat is a pain in the the butt, when you are trying to get more than one drink out of the cooler. I personally found a great deal on my q7 that's why I picked it up instead of a q6. But reguardless, if you can swing it...go with the 5.0 mpi. It's a beast, even loaded down with max weight.

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lrdchaos...I see you are in Tulsa also...Do you get your Q7 out on Grand Lake often? We regularly spend time out there with some friends who have a 18ft Mariah.

Did you buy yours at Bass Pro or at one of the local dealers? I was at Bass Pro a few nights ago and they did not have a Q7 on the floor so I was not able to do a side by side comparision with the Q6.

The default engine on the Q7 is the same as the Q6. The 190HP V-6 4.3L MerCruiser. Since the the Q7 has some extra weight with it...I was thinking about moving up to the 220HP V-6 4.3MPI MerCruiser. Other than cruising around the lake, I will be occasionally pulling a tube. Surely, the engine would be sufficient for that level of use...thoughts?

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry...thought of another question...I am sure I have lots more that I am not thinking of right now...but thanks to everyone for providing me with info...

What is the gas consumption like on the Q7? It has a 45 gallon tank on it...

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never get it on grand....I don't like fighting all the people. I usually hang out on tenkiller, gibson and keystone. I bought the boat from travis boating center in texas, it was bought aug 07 and the boat is an o6. They knocked a big chuck of money off. If I was you and you can swing it, go with the v8. It has quite abit more torque, for pulling especially when loaded down. As far as consumption goes we can get a full weekend of pulling and cruising on 1 tank and that is with 6-8 people. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Ret USN CPO

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had an eye opening experience yesterday. I went to the DC Boat show and was able to see both the Q6 and the Q7i side by side. There are good features on both, but I have changed my mind and am now be getting a Q7iSF. The Q7 has upgraded seats, more storage, nicer in floor storage area cover (opens fore and aft and has a pneumatic lift to hold it open while removing or stowing gear), ladder on the bow with an anchor storage area below the ladder (although it would have to be a pretty small anchor). If you are looking at an SF, there are subtle differences there too.

I must have spent 2 1/2 - 3 hours talking with the sales manager (who was very knowledgeable in the Tahoe's). I had a ton of questions, and he was able to answer them all. I think I even remembered most of the answers too.

Anyway, instead of writing a book on what I learned yesterday, if you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them, if I can.

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you happen to ask if you could get 14 in tires and wheels put on the trailer. I don't like my 13 inch donut tires.

Ret USN CPO

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you happen to ask if you could get 14 in tires and wheels put on the trailer. I don't like my 13 inch donut tires.

No, I didn't. Looking at the trailer, it looked like 14" wheels, but maybe they made a change on the '08s, or maybe I didn't look that close either. I go down to the dealer this Friday to sign all the paperwork, I'll be sure to check then.

JMRuth72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After reading this post (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=235489) I would strongly reconsider buying anything from Tahoe. You can also google tahoe custumer complaints. I think that you would be shocked. I for one will not buy a Tahoe at all. It seems like they have massive manufacturing problems and crappy customer service. Read everything that you can everywhere you can and make an informed decision. Good luck and whatever you end up buying welcome to IBoats.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

All boat manufactures have complaints against them...It's not just Tahoes. The dealer where I purchased my Tahoe from has EXCELLENT customer service and support. It's strange to hear though, that BPS has poor customer service than independent dealers. You would think they would have the best because Tracker Marine is a division of BPS.

JMRuth72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't personally know anything about them. I am advising about what I have read and heard and suggesting doing the research necessary to make as imformed a decision as possible. That is all I can do.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Your just expressing what you learned on this forum and I appreciate that. Where were you when I was shopping?...LOL. Actually, I was looking to buy a bass boat and the wife and family said I should get a Tahoe. I am pleased with it and have not experienced anything I've read, so far...And, hope I never do.

Thanks for your opinion, JM

Last edited:

Bow Hunter

Cadet

I purchased a 2008 Tahoe 196 WTOB with a 200 hp Mercury imax in August of 2007. I have had a number of problems with this boat and the trailer. The dealer has corrected several of them on the spot. The problems come in when something has to be ordered from Tracker.
- It took Tracker 3 times to get me the right spare tire.
- One of the seats doesn't fit properly and one had a hole in it when the boat was delivered. After 6 months and 3 different sets of seats, the problems still aren't fixed.
- The water pressure gauge leaked. This took 2 trips to the service department to find a pin hole in one of the lines.
- The fiberglass cracked on an interior step within the first 3 weeks I owned the boat. It took 4 weeks to get this repaired.
- One of the storage compartments had several small holes drilled in the bottom of it. It appeared that something was installed incorrectly and no one bothered to repair the holes. This was repaired by the fiberglass shop.
- The bimini top didn't fit properly. It took almost 3 months for Tracker to send the parts and a service bulletin to repair it.
- The latch for one of the seats pulled out while I was towing the boat. It was held by a screw instead of a nut and bolt. I fixed this.
- The last time I used the boat, I noticed more cracks in the fiberglass. These are on the outside. I just reported this a week ago. I haven't heard anything back from Tracker.
- The fender on the right side of the trailer cut a grove in the tire. This happened the last time I used the boat and has been reported to Tracker.
- The radio quit working. Tracker told me they would send one to the dealer right away. They didn't. Luckily the dealer had one in stock and replaced it while I waited.

When I bring the boat to the dealer with a problem, pictures are taken immediately and sent to Tracker. I have no idea why Tracker doesn't have a faster response.

I know most of these problems aren?t critical. However, I expected to get what I paid for or at least have Tracker repair the problems in a timely manner. The problems with the fiberglass have me greatly concerned. If I had this to do over again, I would not buy a Tracker product.

Just one persons opinion.

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree....the customer service at BPS sucks for lack of a better term. Like had been noted before, they have to take pictures and send them... wait, get an ok, order parts...wait, then they fix them......maybe. I will not ever take my boat back to bps in Broken arrow. I have an independant dealer 2 miles from my house and I will be using him for everything.

Ret USN CPO

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked yesterday, and the wheels are 14". I didn't ask if that was different for the '08s.

I pick mine up in two weeks! It was so nice yesterday, around 70 degrees. It would have been a great day to be out cruising the lake.

Ret USN CPO

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't personally know anything about them. I am advising about what I have read and heard and suggesting doing the research necessary to make as imformed a decision as possible. That is all I can do.

Appreciate the advice. And I have been reading that thread for a while. It is too bad that it is taking so long to get the man an answer. But look at it from the business side of things. If the damage was caused by the shipper, should BPS be responsible? Tracker? No. They are both getting their ducks in a row and trying to find out where the fault lies. Is it taking too long? Perhaps. I wouldn't argue that point. But the bottom line is if they are not responsible for the damage, why should they have to pay? It all comes down to proof.

Everybody over there is bashing Tracker and BPS pretty hard. And probably 8 out of 10 of them have never had a problem with either. The comments over there just need to be taken with a grain of salt and move on.

cbavier

Lieutenant

After reading this post (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=235489) I would strongly reconsider buying anything from Tahoe. You can also google tahoe custumer complaints. I think that you would be shocked. I for one will not buy a Tahoe at all. It seems like they have massive manufacturing problems and crappy customer service. Read everything that you can everywhere you can and make an informed decision. Good luck and whatever you end up buying welcome to IBoats.

Don't say you haven't been warned! Type Tahoe Customer Complaints into Google and read the List that goes on and on of all the structural problems, their service complaints. Go to BoatUS and read the posts there about Tahoe Boats. Type Tahoe Boats into the search engine in i boats and read the threads, some are at the bottom. Once you find one you will find many. In all fairness not every post is negative but I sure wouldn't buy a Tahoe or recommend anyone else buy one until they begin to address the issues that Customer after Customer has faced with Tahoe Boats, Quality and Workmanship. many which are structural.

Ret USN CPO

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chuck,
What's your beef with Tahoe? Care to share your personal experience? or are you just jumping on the Tahoe bashing bandwagon? As a soon to be Tahoe owner, I would be rather leery of a company that just up and paid for a new boat for damage that they may or may not have caused.

I have been following that thread closely, and have not yet seen hard fast evidence that shows Tahoe is at fault. I mean really, SHOULD they have to pay IF the company that transported the boat caused the damage? What if BPS caused the damage, should Tahoe still pay?