newbie has o/b problem

pigfish

Cadet
Hi guys, great forum you have here. I have twin 2003 ficht 225's. one motor cuts out at 3000 rpm's and the check engine light comes on. it runs great at 4000 rpms and below 3000. I have to shut it off and restart when I run at 3000 rpms more than a few seconds. the other motor is fine though. any suggestions?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: newbie has o/b problem

fichts are not the standard 2 stroke outboard, there are not many that understand them, me being one of them. there is not much for a do it yourselfer to do with them, they need specialized test equipment for the electronics. probably a dealers shop that has the equipment.

chrisa

Cadet

Pigfish, I have a '97 150 Ficht. I am able to check the codes via the check engine light by following a procedure that is spelled out in the repair manual. I don't know if the later models allow this. If I were you, I'd invest in a factory manual..at the very least. it makes good tiolet reading! BTW...I've since gotten the software that makes code reading a snap! Good luck...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Not very familiar with those motors either, but to throw out ideas, I assume you did not notice a difference in either temp or water pressure between the 2?
I dont quite understand them other than that it is a direct injection system meaning that the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber when the piston is close to the top of its stroke. This concept is great for fuel economy, power, and emissions, but there are technical challenges with injecting fuel into a hot, highly compressed combustion chamber.

The Ficht system injects the fuel by energizing a solenoid that serves as a plunger. The plunger pushes on a column of fuel that is piped to an injector. So, the order of operations is that an electric current is sent to a solenoid which causes a plunger to push fuel into the combusion chamber. The plunger is returned to its original position by a spring. When the plunger is pulled back to its "rest" position, it is re-filled with fuel ready for the next cycle.

As far as I understand , the main difference between these and the E tecs is that the E tec lacks the spring mentioned so the plunger is returned to its "rest" position by reversing the current through the solenoid which makes the plunger shuttle in the opposite direction.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

First thing that strikes me is the Throttle Position Sensor. Could be loose or have a bad spot causing the symptoms you describe. Best to have the codes pulled and see what come up. Or if you are handy with an Ohmmeter, you could check it yourself...

pigfish

Cadet

Thanks for the rsponses. I'm not very handy when it comes to outboards. I'd better let a mechanic look at it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

call the shops an make sure they work on Fichts, before taking it. as is said some don't have the equipment.