Engine dies when shifting into reverse..

glastron86

Seaman
I have an 86 Glastron/Conroy, with a 170 Mercruiser and Alpha One Stern Drive. I went to unload the boat off of the trailer today and it starts fine, but as soon as I put it in reverse it grinds and then a sound like the motor is backfiring and it kills the motor unless I hurry and put it back into nuetral, then the motor will stay running. It goes into forward just fine, so I was able to get it back on the trailer. Is this the lower end shift cable???

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine dies when shifting into reverse..

Sure sounds like it to me....;)
I would check & lube the pivot points on the shift plate as well, but it is probably the cable.....:(

glastron86

Seaman

Is there some instructions on how to replace the lower end cable? This is my first boat, I have worked on alot of cars, but I am finding out how much work goes into a boat! :) Is this a project that I may have to allow a couple of days to finish? Also, is there anything else I should plan on doing while I am working on this? I just had the impeller replaced this spring. Thanks again for the help!

glastron86

Seaman

For some reason my computer gives me an error when I try to open a page from the mainmenu pdf that I get when I click on your link. It says 'Can not open 'Servmanl/srvcov.pdf' different responses depending on which one I click on. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong with this one?

glastron86

Seaman

That link worked great! I want to make sure that I have this right...the lower shift cable, is this the one that goes from the remote shift lever at the drivers seat, back to the back of the engine? Or is there one in the Sterndrive that is needing to be replaced? And I am also assuming that I would replace the shift cutout switch at the same time???? Sorry for all the questions!

glastron86

Seaman

I made it home and have printed out those sheets from the link that you sent me and taken a closer look. I also called my dealer here and asked them if they had one in stock and they said that I have to remove the cable I have and get the numbers off of it to tell them. I was hoping I could find out by the s/n's off of the engine (A655479) or stern drive (0A691198) or drive unit (0A686508)? It looks like I have to remove the stern drive, replace the shift cable, then is there a gasket between the stern drive and bell housing that I have to replace? Any other things that I need to have ready to replace while I do this? I did check it and when I put the shifter into reverse, it goes a little ways, and then moves the cutoff switch, and in forward it does not do that, if that helps anybody with something else to look at?! Thanks again for all responses!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

That link worked great! I want to make sure that I have this right...the lower shift cable, is this the one that goes from the remote shift lever at the drivers seat, back to the back of the engine?
NO!
Or is there one in the Sterndrive that is needing to be replaced?
Yes!
And I am also assuming that I would replace the shift cutout switch at the same time????
NO!
Sorry for all the questions!
Quite all right........:)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I made it home and have printed out those sheets from the link that you sent me and taken a closer look. I also called my dealer here and asked them if they had one in stock and they said that I have to remove the cable I have and get the numbers off of it to tell them. I was hoping I could find out by the s/n's off of the engine (A655479) or stern drive (0A691198) or drive unit (0A686508)? It looks like I have to remove the stern drive, replace the shift cable, then is there a gasket between the stern drive and bell housing that I have to replace? Any other things that I need to have ready to replace while I do this?
You will need a gasket kit.....
I did check it and when I put the shifter into reverse, it goes a little ways, and then moves the cutoff switch, and in forward it does not do that, if that helps anybody with something else to look at?! Thanks again for all responses!
Should be about $10....
You can order the cable kit online for like $50 bux....
You need a cable for a Alpha 1, gen 1.....;)

glastron86

Seaman

Thanks, I found the kit online with Doug Russel Marine. It comes with just about everything from what I saw. My dealer could only get me the cable if I gave them the correct length, then they thought they might have one that would work. I think the one online should be a better deal! I'll keep you posted as soon as I get it in.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have used both the OEM and the Sierra cables. For the price, get the OEM. They now have a coating on the cable that keeps them smooth and free for a lot longer than the original cables.
OEM is MUCH better quality, same with the gasket kit. It fits better than the Sierra.

glastron86

Seaman

I finally have the boat in the garage and getting ready to replace the lower shift cable, but I have a couple of questions. Would my assumptions be correct in that I should lower the trim so that the stern drive is as straight as possible? And also, after I remove the manual steering connection, then I should be ready to replace the cable?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I finally have the boat in the garage and getting ready to replace the lower shift cable, but I have a couple of questions. Would my assumptions be correct in that I should lower the trim so that the stern drive is as straight as possible?

Lower it until it just contacts the ground.....
It will ease reinstalling the drive.....;)

And also, after I remove the manual steering connection, then I should be ready to replace the cable?
There should be no reason to mess with any steering components....;)

glastron86

Seaman

I just removed the stern drive and when the ujoints and shaft came out there is water back inside bot not completely back in where the internal splines are...is this normal, or something that I should take care of while I am working on this?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

If you have water in your ujoint bellows, that is a big concern.....:(
There should not be any water in there, period......
You need to inspect for any tearing or holes.......
Now is the time to replace them since you are doing the cable.....;)

glastron86

Seaman

what else will I need to remove to replace that...and should I do that before finishing the shift cable?

glastron86

Seaman

There isn't any water in the exhaust bellows area...should I replace that too or should I just leave it? Do I need to do anything to the u-joints while I am here besides grease them up real good?

glastron86

Seaman

I am going to try and include some pictures on this...I checked the gimbal bearing and it seems okay, no pits, a lot of grease!! Let me know if you see anything else from the pictures. Thanks again for all the help!

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 0

glastron86

Seaman

Anybody have any thoughts on other things that I should change while I am here? I want to try and do it all now instead of having to have the boat tore down again next year...if it is at all possible! Thanks for any help you can give me!