Way overpowered??!!

Ted S.

Seaman
I just purchased a 67 Sea Ray SRV160 from a friend at the lake where we holiday. This is my first boat so I did a little research to familiarize myself with the sea ray product, finding out that they are a very reputable boat builder, the old ones lasting well longer than their counterparts of the same vintage. I went to boatclassics.com and found the original factory specs for my boat, and uncovered something a bit unsettling. This model is rated for a maximum of 80 hp.......but is fitted with a 125 hp motor.(71 Johnson ser. # 125ESL710) I've heard of problems like transoms ripping off of boats or splitting them wide open because of overpowering. What do you think? Is this as serious as I think it is? This boat has been fitted with this motor for many years now with no apparent problems. Hats off to Sea Ray on this one! What do I look for for evidence of any structural problems that have occoured due to the larger motor? Is this a dependable motor? What would be an acceptable horsepower compromise? Thanks for the help. Cheers!<br /><br />I haven't even touched on the legality/insurance issues....drats! :confused:

D

DJ

Re: Way overpowered??!!

Ted,<br /><br />The boat will probably handle it. If anything happens (accident) you're it.<br /><br />I doubt your insurance carrier will write a policy on it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Ted. <br /><br />DJohns speaks with a straight tongue. Beyond the liability and insurance issues in many places you will be cited and fined. I don't remember where it was, but someone posted a story about 6 mo. ago that his locality confiscates overpowered boats on second citation.<br /><br />That 30 year old Johnny is probably not worth much, but you really need to replace it with 80 or less hp.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

G DANE

Commander

Hi Ted<br /><br />This is your choise. The rating of the boat brings in many arguments when calculated and set. Load in boat, rating is with maximum load, maximum HP, midhigh waves, maximum speed. Conditions you wount hit daily ! Many boats never will in their life. Thats why overpowering isnt punished immediately. The biggest security factor sits between your ears ! Going 50 miles on plain water and in 3 ft waves is two different things. Under normal conditions most boats wount be damaged by overpowering, but safety is important, and boat buyers much different. Your old johnson is cranckmesured and probably a bit worn, it will perform 10 - 20 % less than a new propmesured 125 HP - another argument to consider.

Ted S.

Seaman

Thanks guys for the info!I figured that the age of the motor factored in would reduce the risk of a problem, she's probably a bit tired after 30 years. I'm going to find out this spring after I get her in the water and do a wind check on her. 90-110 psi is what I hear as being correct with a 10% variance between cylinders. I know the boat's history and it worked well last year. The previous owner did the impeller and replaced the distributor last season. Aside from the normal maintenance items, what other things do I need to be aware of with a motor of this vintage? Don't forget this is Canada...our good boating season only lasts 3-4 months at best so it wouldn't see the amount of use that a boat in warmer climates would. I hope I'm not sounding too remedial to you experts out there. Thanks for the time you give for any feedback, I really appreciate it!!

f_inscreenname

Commander

If it dosent flip, its not over powered. You dont need to floor it every where you go but it is nice to know you have it (damb outboards,I have a 330 hp Chrysler 360 I/O)And you will blow me away. M

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

F-inscreenname: That is about as stupid a remark as I have ever seen on this board.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'll second J.B.'s comment and reinforce the point that if you cause an accident with that overpowered boat, expect two results:<br /><br />(1) the injured party's attorney will attack you as negligent and (2) your insurance company will not honor your policy.

G DANE

Commander

Just to finish off my 2C W<br /><br />My answer was to if the boat will split or transom rip off - it depends on your behavior qnd handling! Just to get everything straight -its illegial, and you will have insurence problems for sure - the choice is your own.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Do what you wanna do but pack plenty of fuel while your doing it.Those old v4s dump as much in the lake as they burn.

Philby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Apart from being dangerous and illegal its not neccessary.<br /><br />Change the engine and sleep well at night.

Ted S.

Seaman

Whoa! Looks like we touched a nerve!! As always, personal integrity and common sense should be the rule of thumb in these situations. Thanks to all!

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey guys, go easy on the old Johnson V4's, I just got myself a 100hp 100ESL72 and I have spend a fortune on getting it all good, new powerpack, new waterpump and all sorts of other little bits and pieces.. even painted it properly.. took days to get it looking new.<br /><br />If I remember my johnsons correctly, there is not alot of difference in the powerheads of the 100 and the 125.. wasnt' the differnce the carbs and stuff? maybe you should go looking for a 100hp set of carbs. (then you'd have a 100hp essentially, which is about 80 at the prop.<br /><br />I am putting it on a boat I am told is better suited to a 75hp. (but no-one knows for sure what its (the hull) rating is.) its an old 17 foot F/G half-cabin with exceptionally thick fiberglass, and it has an outboat support well thats over a foot deep, it takes about 1.5 feet of the internal length of the boat. and I can sit on the outboard when its out of water and the transom doesn't even creak.. (and I weigh 115kg.) so its strong enough, and I once toyed with the idea of a 5 litre Winsor V8, and as such the boat still has the reinforcement and two massive jarrah beams I ran up the inside of the hull and bolted to the factory support struts..<br /><br />If it doesn't fall off the back under load, and its strenght seems to indicate it won't. and its not massively overpowered, (if your engine puts out 90HP at the prop, I'd eat it, given its age and the loss caused by the gearbox) I'd say your alright.. but in my case, I'll probably never have it over 4000rpm anyway, I like it nice and easy in that regard. if I can get 35 or so miles out of mine with the 100 at 4000rpm give or take, I'll be happy with that..<br /><br />you could always detune it and get it rerated, but thats probably more of a pain then getting a new outboard.<br /><br />anyway, just some thoughts.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

Ted S.

Seaman

Thanks Frankie, thats an interesting perspective. I dont like pushing machinery to its limit all the time either. I've spent a 25 year career in the automotive repair business as a tech patching together whats left of cars from people who dont understand that concept. Everything has its limits, and machinery is no exception to the rule. There is a price to pay when the candle burns brightly!!<br /><br />I'm interested in any other comments on the older Johnson V4's. Depenability, common problems and fixes and the like. Fire away!

Ted S.

Seaman

Frank I'm interested in what type of paint you used to refurbish your motor. Was it an epoxy paint?

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Ted, some of the problems with the old Johnson V4's are:<br />1. Hydro Electric drive gets clogged if left for long periods without use. (I just fixed mine.) see my posts on the subject if you get this problem, I am also putting all info I can get online about it to help others.)<br />2. Powerpacks on the newer units can die from dry solder joints or whatever, expensive to replace, cheaper to swap to points and a car coil, which apparently works very well.<br /><br />They are the two problems I had with mine.<br /><br />Everyone I spoke to over here said the Johnson V4's were fantastic engines that ran forever with good maintenance..<br /><br />My proceedure for painting the leg and cover (essentially everything bar the powerhead)<br />was this.<br />1. circular wire brush in drill machine, get rid of all loose paint. REALLY well.<br />2. sand down as many raised old paint edges as you can with emery.<br />2. ETCH primer, apparently this is important I am told, it must be ETCH primer.<br />3. sand again to get rid of irregularities caused by old paint.<br />4. another code of etch primer and more sanding.<br />5. Several coats of ACRYLIC LACQUER.<br /><br />I went to a boat place, and looked at the OMC and oftermarket paint for outboards, they were both 35 dollar cans of white acrylic lacquer.<br /><br />So I went to the hardware shop down the road, and bought 4 cans of Anchor lacquer, at 9 bucks each,, its the same stuff, or as close as not the matter.<br /><br />so I got 4 cans for the price of one.. and I used all four cans, (in fact I am gettin a 5th tomorrow to keep for touch ups.<br /><br />I choose apliance white.. that way no matter what brand you get, its the same color. (after all, your fridge can only be one shade of white.)<br /><br />looks fantastic I might add, the finish came out looking like new, you wouldn't think for a minute that this is a 30 year old outboard.<br /><br />Anyway, you should keep your motor I think, it will provide for you well if you look after it.. some of the guys I had look at mine (outboad mechs mostly) really loved the old V4's.<br /><br />remember, the maximium horsepower of any 2 stroke engine is at around 5000-5500 rpm, or near the redline.<br /><br />if you never go over 4500 or thereabouts, you will be in your boats recommended power range.. (maybe a governer or something could stop you going over?) <br /><br />I had keeping engines near redline for any length of time. so I doubt I'll ever have a problem.. <br /><br />Its why I love V8 engins, you can sit at 60mph and be doing around 2000 rpm (in a car I mean) whereas my girlfriends Suzuki Serria is sitting on 4500rpm to do the same thing..<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

Ted S.

Seaman

Thanks Frank! Good info. How about your fuel consumption? Are these motors as hard on fuel as I've been told? (See hondon's reply on this strand) Or are they not bad if you're easy on the throttle?

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

WEll, I can't really say what the fuel economy is like, I'm used to my old Evinrude Lark 40, and it had terrible economy... the 100 uses less fuel then the 40 did.. and thats good enough for me. I didn't think it was that bad.. but they are big motors, a V4 is a V4 and one that has a carb barrel per cylinder... its gonna drink a bit.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank