How bad do these stringers look??

Mjust

Seaman
Here are the pics of the rear stringers from the transom going forward along the motor. Im having the floor replaced in two small section on both sides of the motor cause they were getting a little soft. You will notice a little rot on one of the stringers that is closest to the motor. The shop doing the work wants $2500 to fix the stringer but i told him to just scrape out the roted wood and fill the stringer with epoxy. So in all its costing me $750 to have to two sections of floor replaced and glassed over.

Attachments

• boat3 033.jpg
    boat3 033.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
  • boat3 034.jpg
    boat3 034.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat3 035.jpg
    boat3 035.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • boat3 036.jpg
    boat3 036.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 0
  • boat3 040.jpg
    boat3 040.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 0

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: How bad do these stringers look??

It is close to impossible to get the advice you are looking for based on pictures though we love them. If you were not committed to a shop already I would recommend that you do it yourself. You could do it for far less than $750.00.

The risk of what you plan to do is that the shop may not get all of the rot out. Rot is a fungus and will spread if not killed or completely removed. Do a search on "antifreeze" as it kills fungus.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Well, that's a great money saving thought, however if that old wood isn't completely dry then you are not going to accomplish one thing. Neither epoxy or polyester resin will bond to anything that has a moisture content greater than 17%. That is a FACT, not something I'm pulling out of my arse.
Make darn certain that the criteria is met or your money is going down the tube. And I DON'T CARE what your mechanic or whomever has to say about it - the number's must be met. PERIOD !!!!!!!!!!! The number is again 17%. The lower - the better. With wet wood it is almost impossible to ascertain where the fungus ( wood rot ) has stopped. Once there it will almost always be there and continue to spread. If not caught and completely removed all of your actions are for nothing. Be careful.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Yes,i agree! Rot is like rust,it never sleeps and keeps eating away at it..:rolleyes:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This is a job that I just don't think I'd be comfortable paying some else to do especially for such a substantial amount of money. It's too easy to hide shortcuts under the floor. I'd want to do it myself so I know it's done right.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

pay now or pay later to do it again. fix it correctly the first time. if you plan on keeping the boat.