what guage wire to use when replacing battery cables?

cschaul1

Seaman Apprentice
I have been having some problems getting the boat to start and figured i would replace some battery cables to see if that helps. i figure i either need cables or a starter because it turns over really slow and it sounds as if it is underpowered but the battery is new. my question is, what guage of wire or cable should i use to replace the red+ battery cable that runs to the solenoid, the black- cable that goes from the starter to the battery and the yellow cable that runs from the solenoid to the starter. i thought 0 guage but now i think maybe 4 guage?? what have you guys used in the past? where is the cheapest place to get this stuff? thanks for any help

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: what guage wire to use when replacing battery cables?

If the cables are longer than about 5' use 0 or 1/0. Shorter than that you can probably use 4 or larger.<br /><br />Before you do anything else, take all cables off, thoroughly clean all connections including battery connectors. Then try again.<br /><br />Buying "cheap" stuff is an invitation to future trouble. Buy tinned marine grade cable.

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any auto parts store will carry up to 36" premaid 4/0 cable. Some also carry bulk cable. You may be able to just replace the end connections if the cable is in good shape.

cschaul1

Seaman Apprentice

i was looking on ebay for prices and found this auction...<br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-AW...646722969QQcategoryZ50437QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem <br /><br />... it has 4 guage wire for $1.46/foot. i thought that seemed like a good deal. it is tinned and marine grade. i need just about 5 feet for my longest cable so i think that is what i will use. the 0 guage is around $4 or $5/foot. when i get back to the boat i will try to clean everything good and see what happens. the wires could be as old as 30 years so it would make sense that they are goners. thanks for your help it is much appreciated<br />corey

cschaul1

Seaman Apprentice

i was looking on ebay for prices and found this auction...<br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-AW...646722969QQcategoryZ50437QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem <br /><br />... it has 4 guage wire for $1.46/foot. i thought that seemed like a good deal. it is tinned and marine grade. i need just about 5 feet for my longest cable so i think that is what i will use. the 0 guage is around $4 or $5/foot. when i get back to the boat i will try to clean everything good and see what happens. the wires could be as old as 30 years so it would make sense that they are goners. thanks for your help it is much appreciated<br />corey