New Proposal for Congress

sun_runner235

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I say someone presents a bill to congress that asks for a timeline for democrats to pull out. They have not been able to achieve what they said they would in the timeline they posted this past election. All in favor of this bill please say "aye".

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New Proposal for Congress

I think what he is saying is the Dems said they could get the Iraq deal settled in a certian amount of time......then failed. So he feels they should do the same thing they want the USA to do since they didnt get the war done in the original timeline......Surrender........Or in politcaly Correct terms....Withdraw

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I make the nomination for SR to present the bill......

bekosh

Lieutenant

I think what he is saying is the Dems said they could get the Iraq deal settled in a certian amount of time......then failed. So he feels they should do the same thing they want the USA to do since they didnt get the war done in the original timeline......Surrender........Or in politcaly Correct terms....Withdraw
Not Withdraw. Redeploy.
I vote that the Dems 'redeploy' to a country friendly to their goals. Say, North Korea, Cuba or Iran?

sun_runner235

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Exactly......

My alternative would be a compromise in which all those voting for a timetable be required to spend a minimum of 6 months as US Ambassedor to Iraq. They would be required to maintain an Embassy in Bahgdad itself. If they truly believe its best for our troops to pull out, and politics is the best means of resolving the issue, they should have no problem in their new role. :rolleyes:

sun_runner235

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not Withdraw. Redeploy.
I vote that the Dems 'redeploy' to a country friendly to their goals. Say, North Korea, Cuba or Iran?

Another good compromise for the Capitol. And they say politics is hard.....

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I say someone presents a bill to congress that asks for a timeline for democrats to pull out. They have not been able to achieve what they said they would in the timeline they posted this past election. All in favor of this bill please say "aye".
AMEN!! Great (and I do mean great) idea! They have had almost a year of majority on the floor trying to obtain victory for Islamic terror, and to-date, have failed miserably!

They have ALSO failed to get anything ELSE accomplished other than naming a building! And i do mean ANYTHING. And to top it off, they hold a sleep-in at taxpayer's expense,in the hopes of getting America to surrender, only to forget that the cameras were still on at 4AM! LOL!!
They sure looked as miserable as they must be in person!
I like yer plan, Sun-Runner.
Good thinkin, new guy!! I do believe we are going to become buds.
58.gif

sun_runner235

Petty Officer 2nd Class

AMEN!! Great (and I do mean great) idea! They have had almost a year of majority on the floor trying to obtain victory for Islamic terror, and to-date, have failed miserably!

They have ALSO failed to get anything ELSE accomplished other than naming a building! And i do mean ANYTHING. And to top it off, they hold a sleep-in at taxpayer's expense,in the hopes of getting America to surrender, only to forget that the cameras were still on at 4AM! LOL!!
58.gif

Thanks for the support:D Glad to see people share a similar view as I do. I can't tell you how irritated I get everytime I hear Sen. Reid speak. He is a COMPLETE idiot. Everything he says and does is purely show and no action. For example, trying to pull the stunts they have to create a rider on a bill for a troop withdrawl timeline. They know the President has said he will veto the any bill with that type of rider. They also know they don't have the 2/3 vote needed to overturn a veto. So why continue trying the same thing? Even a 2 year old know a square peg will not go into a round hole.

The key is to listen and compromise. That is how things get done and that is why our fore fathers founded a government with 3 branches of power.

As for the democrats battle cry that "the people of the US want......" They have to understand that when it comes to policies that impact both domestic and foreign affairs, "people" do not know what is best. To paraphrase a description of public reaction, "A person is smart, people are stupid. If you understand what that means you have a leg up on most people in congress.

Sorry for being so long winded. Just needed to vent.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

58.gif

I take it that you don't agree with the following:

By: Martin Frost
Jul 23, 2007 11:54 AM EST

The first six months of the new Congress are now history. Let's step back and take a long look at how the new Democratic leaders (House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid) have fared. The answer is that they have done remarkably well under difficult circumstances.

First, Sen. Reid has a very narrow one-vote margin (51-49) to work with in a body that requires 60 votes to conduct most business. Speaker Pelosi enjoys a slightly larger margin but far from the large majorities enjoyed by previous Democratic speakers like Tip O'Neill, Jim Wright and Tom Foley.

The biggest failure of this Congress to date (inability to pass an immigration reform bill) was the result of a Republican president (Bush) being unable to persuade enough Senate Republicans to join with Democrats to reach the 60-vote requirement to cut off a filibuster. The deadlock over immigration was a Republican failure, plain and simple. To describe it any other way is demagoguery in the greatest Tom DeLay tradition.

Congressional Democrats have made real progress in facing down a recalcitrant and isolated president on the top issue that voters really care about: bringing an end to our involvement in Iraq. Pelosi and Reid have skillfully handled this issue so that it is now clear to the public that the only thing standing in the way of an orderly change in policy is an incredibly blind and wrong-headed president.

Pelosi and Reid could have yielded to radical voices in their own party and pressed for an immediate withdrawal from Iraq. That would have played directly into Karl Rove's hands and made it appear that Democrats, not the Republican president, were responsible for our failures in Iraq.

Instead, Pelosi and Reid kept their respective caucuses united in favor of a series of benchmarks and deadlines for ultimate U.S. withdrawal. They lost the initial showdown with the president over a timeline, but they continued to press their case in an orderly and respectful way.

By taking this approach, Pelosi and Reid gave congressional Republicans time to rethink their position and put pressure on the president of their own party to change policy. A number of high-profile and respected Republican senators have done just that in recent weeks, and now the stage is set for a real showdown in September over war funding.

Given the Democrats' small majorities in both the Senate and the House, the party leadership's handling of this explosive issue has been masterful and "just right."

And it's not like House and Senate Democrats don't have other accomplishments. They kept the heat on until the president finally accepted a significant increase in the minimum wage, which will be phased in over the next two years. This will be the first such increase in 10 years.

Also, Congress passed a budget resolution for the next fiscal year on time this spring, something that recent Republican Congresses were totally incapable of doing. In fact, the last Republican Congress failed to ever pass a budget resolution, leading to a total breakdown in Congress' budgetary role. While Republicans may criticize individual portions of the budget resolution, they should at least admire the Democrats' ability to get their work done on time.

And both houses passed significant ethical reforms. Democratic leaders didn't pass everything that the reform community wanted, but they did make major progress. Let's not ever forget that it was the shady conduct of Republicans like DeLay, Bob Ney and Duke Cunningham which created the climate that demanded changes in ethical rules. Democrats responded in a way that will make it harder for future DeLays, Neys and Cunninghams to violate the public trust.

Democrats in the Senate have already passed significant energy legislation, and hopefully the House will soon follow suit. Democratic leaders also are making progress on legislation reauthorizing "No Child Left Behind" and our nation's farm support programs.

None of this has been easy, but Reid and Pelosi deserve high marks for their first six months in office.

sun_runner235

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The first six months of the new Congress are now history. Let's step back and take a long look at how the new Democratic leaders (House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid) have fared. The answer is that they have done remarkably well under difficult circumstances.

First, Sen. Reid has a very narrow one-vote margin (51-49) to work with in a body that requires 60 votes to conduct most business. Speaker Pelosi enjoys a slightly larger margin but far from the large majorities enjoyed by previous Democratic speakers like Tip O'Neill, Jim Wright and Tom Foley.

The biggest failure of this Congress to date (inability to pass an immigration reform bill) was the result of a Republican president (Bush) being unable to persuade enough Senate Republicans to join with Democrats to reach the 60-vote requirement to cut off a filibuster. The deadlock over immigration was a Republican failure, plain and simple. To describe it any other way is demagoguery in the greatest Tom DeLay tradition.

Congressional Democrats have made real progress in facing down a recalcitrant and isolated president on the top issue that voters really care about: bringing an end to our involvement in Iraq. Pelosi and Reid have skillfully handled this issue so that it is now clear to the public that the only thing standing in the way of an orderly change in policy is an incredibly blind and wrong-headed president.

Pelosi and Reid could have yielded to radical voices in their own party and pressed for an immediate withdrawal from Iraq. That would have played directly into Karl Rove's hands and made it appear that Democrats, not the Republican president, were responsible for our failures in Iraq.

Instead, Pelosi and Reid kept their respective caucuses united in favor of a series of benchmarks and deadlines for ultimate U.S. withdrawal. They lost the initial showdown with the president over a timeline, but they continued to press their case in an orderly and respectful way.

By taking this approach, Pelosi and Reid gave congressional Republicans time to rethink their position and put pressure on the president of their own party to change policy. A number of high-profile and respected Republican senators have done just that in recent weeks, and now the stage is set for a real showdown in September over war funding.

Given the Democrats' small majorities in both the Senate and the House, the party leadership's handling of this explosive issue has been masterful and "just right."

And it's not like House and Senate Democrats don't have other accomplishments. They kept the heat on until the president finally accepted a significant increase in the minimum wage, which will be phased in over the next two years. This will be the first such increase in 10 years.

Also, Congress passed a budget resolution for the next fiscal year on time this spring, something that recent Republican Congresses were totally incapable of doing. In fact, the last Republican Congress failed to ever pass a budget resolution, leading to a total breakdown in Congress' budgetary role. While Republicans may criticize individual portions of the budget resolution, they should at least admire the Democrats' ability to get their work done on time.

And both houses passed significant ethical reforms. Democratic leaders didn't pass everything that the reform community wanted, but they did make major progress. Let's not ever forget that it was the shady conduct of Republicans like DeLay, Bob Ney and Duke Cunningham which created the climate that demanded changes in ethical rules. Democrats responded in a way that will make it harder for future DeLays, Neys and Cunninghams to violate the public trust.

Democrats in the Senate have already passed significant energy legislation, and hopefully the House will soon follow suit. Democratic leaders also are making progress on legislation reauthorizing "No Child Left Behind" and our nation's farm support programs.

None of this has been easy, but Reid and Pelosi deserve high marks for their first six months in office.

You're right....I don't agree.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Art said:

The first six months of the new Congress are now history. Let's step back and take a long look at how the new Democratic leaders (House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and ---------on and on and on and on and on
To quote the cavveman, "uh, WHAT?"
It's an OPINION/EDITORIAL by some schmutz I never read before. He has his own opinions ,as do I. I do not agree witrh some of it. And other portions I do.
In conclusion, I FIRMLY believe that this is the most ineffective guverning body we've assembled in it's HISTORY!!!
Blame who you want, Art.
And I'll do likewise -- with Ried, Pelosi, et al being the top of the ineffective food chain called "THE MAJORITY" coupled to a lame duck, all I can hope for is a sound thrashing of the libs in 08. Bunch of obstructionist tryants that would sell their own military to the enemy for Bush or Cherney's head. They turely do turn my stomach!

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

So after all that CP, what has been done that is now law other than the min wage?

Skinnywater

Commander

There's only one thing worse then a Republican singing nothing but praises for todays Republican party.
That would be a Democrat singing nothing but praises for todays Democrat party.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Democrats need to look forward for the outcome of their actions. Yeah, pull out now, but what if we get attacked stateside? Do you think they would resign their position and put their political career on the line for their actions? No, they wouldn't, but I bet the public would cry out for their resignation afterwards for failing to think ahead.

To me the democrats are acting like a bunch of spoiled children who want things immediately without any forthcoming circumstances. Some things just take time. You can't make a seed into a tree within months. They got to get out of the mindset that it has to be done now!.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

This is good stuff. Classic Art Burr!

...they have done remarkably well under difficult circumstances.
Right off the bat, they are victims. Classic Art Burr.

The biggest failure of this Congress ... was the result of a Republican president (Bush)
Here we go again. It's all Bush's fault. Poor victimized liberals. Classic Art Burr.

Congressional Democrats have made real progress in facing down a recalcitrant and isolated president on the top issue that voters really care about: bringing an end to our involvement in Iraq.
You call asolutely no change in the status quo "real progress?" I can't wait to see what you libs have in store for our next big progress! Classic Art Burr.

Pelosi and Reid could have ... pressed for an immediate withdrawal from Iraq.
You mean they could have done what they said they would? But instead chose to play politics? Sounds like a typical liberal politician. Classic Art Burr.

And it's not like House and Senate Democrats don't have other accomplishments... increase in the minimum wage...
That's their big accomplishment? The economy is busting at the seams and you guys throw a few pennies out there. How generous! Classic Art Burr.

Democrats in the Senate have already passed significant energy legislation...
Tell me when to stop laughing at this. Classic Art Burr.

making progress on legislation reauthorizing "No Child Left Behind" .
I thought you libs hated personal accountability and were against NCLB? Classic Art Burr.

Reid and Pelosi deserve high marks for their first six months in office.
OK... if you say so. Classic Art Burr.

How does that cheese they're handing out taste?