1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

InMotion

Commander
Re: 1983 26' Starcraft SF-261V Rebuild

NICE!!! Great looking project you've got there.... I agree with what someone said... you're gonna need a bigger garage!!!!! :)

Looking forward to this rebuild!!

J.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

arguably the most sought after Starcraft....depending on if you are and I\O guy or an outboard guy. seems to me the ULTIMATE would be that boat you have with an offshore bracket......buko room and power. hang a pair of 150 ocean pros on the back of that baby. hmmmm good.

it must have been exciting as you tried to negotiate from afar, and then made the trip, all the while wondering what would unravel this deal....just getting it is 80% of the goal... you can take your time, and pick and choose.....the hard part is over!!

looks like it hasnt been regisdtered since 97!!!!!!

love to hear about the outer hull condition, rivet wise, gouges, cracks, scrapes.... by 1983, I bet they had much of the "
improvements" that help here and there all figured out...

best of luck

bob

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK fellas, lets see if I can get you a few comments here:

SF-261V

I wonder what years and why Starcraft decided to call it the Islander vs. the SF-261 (Sportfisherman)?

Not that it matters, it's awesome, love it!

The Cost

Well, no real money was exchanged today. But this here rig did cost me three hot chocolates, an order of blueberry pancakes, a western omelet and the Sea Nymph. McKenna, Ryan, Ethan and I had a great breakfast but that last one was a little painful. I loved that boat, we all did. I know the other fella got the better end of the deal value wise. But it's all good, there are lot's of 16 footers out there. The 26 is a very rare bird. I'm over it, all is right in the world.

The Hull

It's huge! Here's some perspective, McKenna is 9 now (and kinda silly)...
P1110243.jpg

This tub will be perfect for the Great Lakes! Just perfect! The hull is in really great shape overall. I do see that there is some corrosion on the bottom (this boat was slipped) but not too bad. You can see up there that the port side rubrail is smashed, that will e tough to get back into shape. But, besides that, it's in great shape!

Trailer

The trailer is only a little rough. Lights, crank, winch, fenders, rollers all need to be replaced. But, where it really counts, it's super solid! Frame is super solid, very happy about that.

Engine

Here I am with that stinkn 470, rats. Oh well. I tried to get her running, she wanted to turn over, almost. Drained the batt before she fired up. I think she'll run again, but only to be sold. All engine options are on the table for this big girl but if I had my way I'd like to see a 5.7 in there. We'll see. I love that there are the two big alum stringers in there ready for a V drive (just like the Islander).

That outdrive is pretty nasty lookin huh?

Cockpit n' Such

Everything will be rebuilt, par for the course ya know.

These seat boxes seem terrible for function. I'll probably go with the setup like I have in the Islander.

The cabin is pretty awesome, I can almost stand up straight in there.

The canopy canvas is brand new, poles are old. Sadly, somewhere in route the port side curtain blew off en route. Rats!

I wasn't at all shocked to see that foam in there, I knew it would be. When I was hauling this boat home it felt heavy, and not just because it's a big boat. You can see the water line at the stern in the photo up there, pretty high and even leaning/listing to the one side. I'm betting there is some heavy soaked flotation subdeck there. Oh well, been down that road before.

The Project

I am in nooooo rush on this one. This project can take as long as it wants to. The fist step is to build a pole barn. I'm thinking this winter through early summer maybe. Funding will dictate that though. After that, if it takes a couple/few years, I'm aok with that. I want it done well, and done right. Here she is, pushed back right were my new pole barn will eventually go...
P1110311.jpg

So ya, there she is, I like her!! She'll be just right for for chasing salmon/steelhead/walleye on the big waters, looking forward to it!

Cheers guys!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

P1110245.jpg

That's a real pretty boat, jas. Just getting on board for the long haul.

EDIT: missed the last post...

Last edited:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

.depending on if you are and I\O guy or an outboard guy. seems to me the ULTIMATE would be that boat you have with an offshore bracket......buko room
bob

Bob, as an I/O fanatic I never had the desire to have outboards hanging out the back, esp off a bracket. Why you ask??? well certainly you have the room inside the boat without the doghouse but.......you have the extra length off the back of the boat plus the outboards. As an avid salmon troller I run four 4' boom downriggers off my boat. With an I/O I don't worry about the downrigger cables getting caught in the prop when trolling in unpleasant seas. Now an outboard set up off a bracket further extends the prop away from the hull brings into my situation a motor and prop way too close to the rigger cables. Yep, those outboards look cool set back away from the boat but not a good thing for my fishing style.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Wow what a boat, Looks great I'd love to work on that metal monster keep those pics coming!

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

Hey thanks for checking it out fellas:D

Ok, so I have some thoughts and comments on the new rig but first I must post up a huge thanks to my amazing bride...
P1110273.jpg

So, was she happy? Ah, no. Was she extremely understanding and supportive? Yes!:joyous:

Love you Jen!

Thanks Jenn for letting Jason live.:hail:

Jason,thanks for saving another SC.:rockon:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Interesting flyer on the SF's. Can't say I have ever seen one of them under the 26' mark, nor have seen any listed for sale that were shorter. Wonder where they are??

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

:hail:

That bad boy needs its own zip code man! ...easily a 20 rattle-can hull :p

No doubt that you'll take "awesome" to a whole-new-level with this one!

jrs151

Seaman

I love it. Envious. Congrats ! !
I think this one is gonna keep you busy for quite a while for sure.
Oh ... and the look on your wife's face is that all too classic "I can't believe he's so excited over this heap-o-junk" look - LOL ! Yes ... I know from experience when I saw my wife's look when I brought my Holiday home - lol.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow is all I can say,congrats.This will be a cool build to follow.

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Your gunna need more rivets!!:facepalm: :joyous:

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice score Jason! Looking forward to following another epic thread!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

You got rid of the Sea Nypth?????,................Wow,..............

I can't wait to see pictures of this one turtled,

What colors are you gonna go with???

Any idea where the batteries are gonna go???

:lol:

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Dude, I wish you nothing but the best of luck! That being said your are friggin' crazy. Imagining being your other boats all I can hear them saying in the background is the beginning to Sir Mixalots '' I like big butts''! Good luck and ready for the ride. The trade had to be tough, there was a lot of love put into that seanymph. I'm happy for you.

jbcurt00

Staff member

lol.gif

^^^ :confused: WTH???

No tiller dig? :faint2:

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

I think we've all learned...it's not where the batteries are gonna go, but rather, How much boat are you gonna put around your batteries?!

once again, I applaud you acquisition....I'd love for you to meet the wife...it would make my obsession with boats seem normal? If I were closer, I'd be on my way to give you hand to finish up the miniscule Islander?

marioc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congratulations! Looks great... How far was the tow?

So, let me know your price on the 470. I'm one of those rare few still happily running a 470 in my 18 foot Checkmate.
It works for what I use it for, for now.

Love the deep-V. I have a Chris-Craft that's similar to your new addition(without the cabin).

You'll be sleeping quick tonight...maybe a middle of the night trip into the boat?

-Mario

KennethfromGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice boat or should we call this one a ship? ;-)

pckeen

Commander

My question, is what will the next trade up be? At this rate, you'll be in a destroyer by 2019. :lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.