the 1967 Holiday 18 and Multiple Boat Syndrome

barato2

Commander
so i was buried in work last week (ie, questionable judgment due to fatigue...), and this THING comes up on local CL....told the guy over the phone i'd give him his $450 asking price if he had title and motor has compression. how's this for a convoluted old-boat story: it belongs to his brother's MIL. when he checked, no, she didn't have title....boat is from NB and she says they didn't have to have title when she bought it many years ago. he was really eager to move it and asked if i'd consider it in light of that and that he'd make me a hell of a deal.

SO.............i went to look at it over lunch, offered him $300, it followed me home. should have offered $250. if it were a human female, i'd have to be pretty inebriated to want to convince it to go home with me from a bar. suffice it to say that i wasn't worried about theft when i parked it downtown.

anyway.

it's the "base" Holiday, with no step-through section in the windshield. it's pretty tatty, has no seats, original avocado paint oxidized into indeterminate color, all vinyl on sidepanels is toast, but floorboards and transom look sound if not pretty. someone glued astroturf all over the interior, incl the dashboard :facepalm: motor turns over but no idea on compression, it will need at least steering and control cables so i may just jettison the 100hp Xrysler and replace it with something from OMC. seemed heavier than it should be to tow, so the underfloor foam may be waterlogged. one trailer fender is inside the boat, it has no jack, and trailer will of course need 100% rewiring. a true BOTTOM FEEDER special.

what was i thinking????????????????????? i of course have the exact same hull, with more amenities, in the Starchief. i think i was just smitten by those eyes...........jeepers creepers, who cut the holes in your bow to install those headlights?

did i mention that SWMBO would go absolutely BALLISTIC if she saw it (this is boat #9)? good thing she lives 250 miles away and is not expected to be down here til late fall/winter. got neighbor's OK to stow it at his house for weekend if necessary for stealth purposes. if i didn't have the Starchief, this would be an awesome Sea of Cortez boat, either as is or heavily modified into something akin to center console fisherman.

what to do? i guess i'll try to title it and fix it up as cheaply as possible, both cuz i'm a bottom feeder and to fly the $ below SWMBO's radar. it will be an interesting challenge, different from the Starchief cuz that's become a "cost not much object" project*. fortunately due to same hull, i'll be able to use the bimini for both and can maybe do economy of scale elsewhere.

i have no pix yet but the ones from CL and can't figure out even how to post those. next week.

*they've recently had 2 incidents near where i fish which bring home that this is Serious Bidness taking a small boat way out into the Sea of Cortez....4 guys in a 14' tinboat with no life jackets or radio demonstrated why those are good ideas by all drowning, and a 105' steel hulled long range boat out of San Diego was capsized by a storm and sunk, 7 people drowned. oh, and despite the general dearth of sharks in the SOC thanks to the longliners, they've recently had some great white sightings near San Carlos............i think we'll go clean the dollar store out of pool noodles.......

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: the 1967 Holiday 18 and Multiple Boat Syndrome

Ahh yes MBS. Most individuals with MBS are also afflicted with Craigslist Disorder.

You know the cure is much worse than the disease, if that helps any.

barato2

Commander

OK, i have a bunch of pics, let's see if i can post em

the new $ pit, with the old one in background
View attachment 110037

ASBO*turf
View attachment 110038

looks fierce, like a bird o prey
View attachment 110039

*any Brits or anglophiles might know what i mean....

you can see i have a job ahead of me......and i can't even start scrapin astroturf til i get it appraised, in case i have to go the bonded title route

what's the least hp motor you folks would recommend for this hull? it will likely be just me and fishing gear most of the time but i will be out on the Sea of Cortez rather than a lake

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Links aren't working for me. As far as horsepower goes I use the 75% rule. Go minumum 75% of hull rating. Since I can't see the pictures I'll guess an 18' Holiday from your description. Should be 130 hp maximim. Calculates out to 100 hp.

You've got a 100 Chrysler, why hate on it. Some don't like them but a lot of people really like them. Best part is it's free. I know it won't stay free but check it out. At the very least you get to tear it apart. I don't know about other parts of the USA, but in Detroit, tearing a motor down is akin to a major night out. I'm talking dinner ($75), concert ($100), drinks ($100), White Castles at 3:30 am ($6). Wow a nearly $300 dollar deal there.

Unless you've got your heart set on that 115hp Johnson. I do like Johnson's because of the "easy to work on design" and parts availability. I'm just saying, give the Chrysler another look.

Pictures please. Oh yea and good luck with your projects.

barato2

Commander

i don't hate it (grandpa was the dodge dealer in small town in Indiana, so i genetically am unable to "hate" on any Chrysler, i even said kind words about "K" cars once...), but am worried about plowing much $ into an obsolete motor with dubious parts support. it will need at minimum new control box and cables. anyone have any suggestions on where to start for Chrysler parts? if it has spark and compression, i'll probably try to keep it.

yeah, boat's an 18'.

not sure what happened on the pix...they came up OK right after i posted em but now i can't get em to open either. i'll work on this.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great to see ya around here again barato, with a new project to boot.:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sounds like one heckuva deal you got there Barato:)

Glad to know you still have big plans for the other boat too:D

barato2

Commander

View attachment 111025View attachment 111026View attachment 111027

thanks gents. here's another effort on pix....seller's pix from CL

this thing is weird....with gutted interior, it looks like a gymnasium inside compared to the starchief....hard to believe they're the same hull. i need to get the title straightened out so i can start working on her

already thinking of how she'd look with HIDs in those bow lights (to which the Mob quietly collectively mutters: "yeah, sure, what about all that stuff you were going to do with the Starchief that's sitting in your drivewway.....??")

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That is the coolest looking Chrysler I have ever seen. IT MUST LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Man, I can't see a thing. You have xray vision or something? ESP? Sleep at a Holiday Inn Express?

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Ohh man are you messin' with me EZ. I don't see anything. I'll bet it's "Plum Crazy" colored, or Anti-establish"mint". Wait the mint was Fomoco. What's another Chryco color....sublime, I'll bet it's a cool sublime. Is it a little hemi?

Ohhh the humanity, I wanna see the engine man.
Limelight
Sassy Grass Green
Vitamin ?C?
Lemon Twist
Moulin Rouge
In Violet
Tor Red

Give me a hint guys. Maybe Vanilla Shake? Huh Huh

Photobucket bro. Pictures are my nemisis too but it feels so good when it's over. Plus it quells the angry mob.

OK I can't stop myself, these are 1970 Ford colors;
Original Cinnamon
Bring ?Em Back Olive
Three Putt Green
Anti-Establish Mint
Last Stand Custard
There She Blue
Young Turquoise
Hulla Blue
Good Clean Fawn
Counter Revolutionary Red
Knight White
Freudian Gilt
History Onyx

barato2

Commander

P1010141.jpgP1010142.jpgP1010139.jpgP1010138.jpg

trying again, following the instructions. YES! it seems to have worked. you can now see the wistful visage that melted my heart and made me take er home, as well as the Starchief getting used to her younger half sister.

sorry Don, no purple or lime on the engine....but you gave me a good idea: if i use it, maybe i'll repaint cowl and get some "super bee" logos :D

64osby

Admiral

I love the turf on the dash. For some reason it made me think of Cheech & Chong. :eek:

Congrats on the boat and posting pics.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

She is sweet Bruce!

I have no idea why ez's heart bleeds for those ol Chryslers:confused:

Yah, that is a great boat. I'm sure the bride will have no trouble loving it too:eek::D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have no idea why ez's heart bleeds for those ol Chryslers:confused:

I just think they're the coolest looking old outboards. Very imposing looking big hoods and nifty graphics. Love 'em. Wish they weren't obsolete.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Headlights, was that factory! I've never seen that before.

Those Chrysler's are (from what I've read) pretty good motors. I wouldn't shy away from it at all. And yes, Super Bee stickers on the side would be the bomb.

PS, nix the astro turf. Don't care for it on a football feild and a little less on the dashboard. Points for originality though.

barato2

Commander

can ya believe it? SWMBO came down for the weekend and came face to face with the Holiday (i didn't get it moved next door as planned). all she said was "How many boats does that make?" no further comment, nor the far worse Tensely Silent Lack of Comment. i think she's actually perceptive enough to realize that tin putas are far better than the flesh and blood kind, and help keep me broke enough to help keep the live ones away! so no more dirty little secret there.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

In the mornin' you go gunnin'
For the man who stole your water
And you fire till he is done in
But they catch you at the border
And the mourners are all singin'
As they drag you by your feet
But the hangman isn't hangin'
So they put you on the street

You go back, Jack, do it again