3rd Time Launching is a Charm

Adamf24

Seaman Apprentice
This is the nerve wracking story of what happened yesterday on my 3rd ever boat launch. I just recently purchased my 1st boat, and I picked up it from a repair shop to fix some minor things. I don't have anywhere to store the boat so I dry-rack store it at a local marina. So I drive over to the marina towing the 23' boat, knowing I'm going to have launch it all by myself.

Get up to the ramp, back down smoothly (I'm starting to get the hang out that finally), take off the tie downs, make sure the engine is up, check the drain plug wasn't taken out by the repair shop, and back the boat into the water. All is well, I park the boat at the marina's floating dock for later retrieval. I'm feeling pretty good for a solo launch, and then...

Here's where it gets fun: I get into my fairly new (to me atleast) 2007 Explorer and put it in drive, let off the brake and step on the gas but the wheels aren't spinning, and now I'm slipping backwards. Panic sets in, and I'm just trying to stop myself from going into the water. Wisely, the ramp I chose had algae all over the bottom area so even while applying the brakes my Explorer kept slipping! I start freaking out, but eventually the vehicle finally stops after getting it's tires pretty wet.

I nearly ruined my Explorer because I had the car turned off when I put it in drive. I should be feeling pretty stupid now but instead I'm just overwhelmingly grateful that my vehicle didn't go out for a quick swim. :D

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 3rd Time Launching is a Charm

watch for low tides when putting your boat in, especially a heavier boat. next time put your transmission in low gear when pulling out, some guys even leave their e-brakes on when they're in the slime and s-l-o-w-l-y pull up. I've seen a lot of guys spin their way into the water doing just that.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Being in Florida I imagine your Ford is 2WD?

I have seen that happen quite a bit with certain ramps around here. I can see the "pucker factor" in launching at that ramp will always be there :eek:

I bet you have ABS too!!! Ask your dealer or look in the manual about pulling the ABS fuse to stop the slide! It happens quite often here on ice trying not to slide going up/down hills. Look into that before you become a Ford Submarine story!

Adamf24

Seaman Apprentice

watch for low tides when putting your boat in, especially a heavier boat. next time put your transmission in low gear when pulling out, some guys even leave their e-brakes on when they're in the slime and s-l-o-w-l-y pull up. I've seen a lot of guys spin their way into the water doing just that.

Actually when I pull the boat out I always put it in 1st gear. But I was thinking it's just a trailer so I would be fine.

Also wouldn't have the e-brakes on while driving up, even if slowly, cause damage to the e-brakes?

Being in Florida I imagine your Ford is 2WD?

Indeed it is. 4WD would've been lovely in that situation.

I ended up applying the brakes lightly as I started giving the Explorer some gas (driving with two feet). I spun my wheels a little, but I wanted to make sure that when I took off the brakes I wasn't going to slide back anymore.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

driving slow for 10' ain't gonna burn up an e-brake but it will help keep tire spin to a mininum. Also are you going in too far to dunk the boat, try stopping the truck a foot or so further up the ramp and see if you can still launch at that point.

Adamf24

Seaman Apprentice

I actually had stopped about a foot or two from the water line, but it was low tide so I guess my wheels were already in that algae stuff.