the 1967 Holiday 18 and Multiple Boat Syndrome

barato2

Commander
Re: the 1967 Holiday 18 and Multiple Boat Syndrome

i think it helped that i was still pretty banged up from crashing a dirt bike repeatedly the weekend before, which is why she came down instead of us meeting at the cabin in the mt.s. She's soft hearted enough that she would have felt bad abt getting mad at me when every movement was already causing me to make little involuntary ouch-noises despite eating ibu and vicodin like candy.

never woulda thought there was a silver lining to slamming your body into dirt embankments at 30 mph............:rolleyes:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Those dirt piles just jump right out at ya huh!

Well that, plus she is fond of your chicken legs too. Tough to resist.

Nice work getting past that, now, how about some progress posts on either one of those ol Starcrafts you have there??:p:D

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Those dirt piles just jump right out at ya huh!

Well that, plus she is fond of your chicken legs too. Tough to resist.

Nice work getting past that, now, how about some progress posts on either one of those ol Starcrafts you have there??:p:D

Here, here, the mob is curious. We just want a little peek. You have pictures, no?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

i think it helped that i was still pretty banged up from crashing a dirt bike repeatedly the weekend before, which is why she came down instead of us meeting at the cabin in the mt.s. She's soft hearted enough that she would have felt bad abt getting mad at me when every movement was already causing me to make little involuntary ouch-noises despite eating ibu and vicodin like candy.

never woulda thought there was a silver lining to slamming your body into dirt embankments at 30 mph............:rolleyes:

lol Diane would take full advantage of any weakness I had to get her shot in! Broken rib? naaaw..It dont hurt none baby...

barato2

Commander

wife: soft hearted
fellow Starmadans: MERCILESS :eek:

actually, the dirt embankment was the other side of an arroyo (deep narrow stream channel cut when monsoon rains hit vegetation-less desert) that had been cut across what used to be a trail....came around blind turn and there was no ground under me :eek::eek:

fair enough complaint guys. have pix but not much progress, and some progress not shown in pix. i'll shoot some tonight and get em up......manana ;) trying to shift gears from bikes to boat projects now in prep for the TGVG Mexico trip.....even the portabote needs a bunch of work.

the teak swim platform for the Starchief (abt $89 on fleebay incl shipping) arrived last week and it looks like it will work, but will need to be offset to one side to clear kicker mount and cut out for I/O tilt clearance. should stll let me stow the fishbox back there and gain a little floor space.

barato2

Commander

OK, got a Q on how to prove the build date on an older (i think about '67) holiday. turns out Nebraska, where boat is from, didn't require titles for boats built before 1972 (about the time the federal HIN came in). if it comes from no-title state, it's easier to get titled in NM without previous title. i have the number plate affixed by SC, and it was previousy regis'd in Neb but i have no papers on that and regis # is near illegible.

has anyone got any ideas on how to prove its build date to the satisfaction of the NM DMV folks? write factory requesting a letter? affidavit from some Starcraft expert?

Skagen

Seaman
OK, got a Q on how to prove the build date on an older (i think about '67) holiday. turns out Nebraska, where boat is from, didn't require titles for boats built before 1972 (about the time the federal HIN came in). if it comes from no-title state, it's easier to get titled in NM without previous title. i have the number plate affixed by SC, and it was previousy regis'd in Neb but i have no papers on that and regis # is near illegible.

has anyone got any ideas on how to prove its build date to the satisfaction of the NM DMV folks? write factory requesting a letter? affidavit from some Starcraft expert?

The plate from starcraft should tell you what year it was made in, either directly or by deciphering the sn.

barato2

Commander

my problem is not that i don't know what year it is ('65, even if i may have thought '67 due to senility) but how to prove this to the satisfaction of the DMV folks. it may not be as clear to them that the serial # begins with the build year. anyone else confronted this issue?

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Do you have the registration numbers from the previous owner? This will tell the DMV the history of the boat.

barato2

Commander

the boat still has the #s on the side, but the first digit of the last year it was regis'd is "7" (sticker is shredded_) so i doubt the NB folks will be much help. and boat has no current papers with it. wondering if best first step might be to help the former owner to get the NB regis current in her name and then transfer it to me.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is your state a title state? GA isn't and I bought in South Carolina, a title state. PO had no title so I only got a bill of sale. Called the state to register the boat, paid them $25 good for three years, got my boat numbers and a temporary number allowing me 60 day use. I had to fax a copy of my bill of sale and a pic of the SC issued serial no. Called the DNR rangers to inspect the boat. He came out looked (glanced really) filled out some paperwork, measured the length and stuck a HIN sticker on the transom. Legal! It was simple. It all started with the call to the state. I have no idea what it takes where you are.

barato2

Commander

GA, unfortunately, yes, both NM and TX require titles. gonna try with a bill of sale from the current owner in NB

on another topic:
i'm pretty sure the old OB will need to be replaced. at a minimum i'll need lower unit as skeg and prob have both been banged on ground repeatedly, and i suspect that the TnT is shot and that's why. there's a 135 Chrysler OB on local Cl with all controls etc for $500. hull is rated for 120 but i know some people have updated the I/o versions with 140hp. aside from legalities, anyone have any thoughts on how a135 would work on an 18' holiday? thanks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

aside from legalities, anyone have any thoughts on how a135 would work on an 18' holiday? thanks!

It would be fine. My 18' is rated for 150. My thoughts are pretty much as long as it's still a 4 cyl, hang whatever you want on there.

barato2

Commander

thanks EZ. i figured it would work but wanted to ask better heads than mine (and the Thetford was not responsive;)).

so the main Q becomes whether i want to drop actual $ on an old Chrysler. the bottom feeder sez it may be the ticket but the pragmatist wonders about parts cost.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Is your state a title state? GA isn't and I bought in South Carolina, a title state. PO had no title so I only got a bill of sale. Called the state to register the boat, paid them $25 good for three years, got my boat numbers and a temporary number allowing me 60 day use. I had to fax a copy of my bill of sale and a pic of the SC issued serial no. Called the DNR rangers to inspect the boat. He came out looked (glanced really) filled out some paperwork, measured the length and stuck a HIN sticker on the transom. Legal! It was simple. It all started with the call to the state. I have no idea what it takes where you are.

Georgia folks are lucky. In Michigan they want a pint of blood. Then the blood is the wrong color.....Beaurocracy sucks.

barato2

Commander

i'm with you on that one. i hate bureaucracy....and i'm a lawyer who works for one!

i'm sure that is not the first issue your blue blood has caused. but you should have seen their reaction when they learned mine was yellow and burned holes in metal......:eek:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think Chryslers looks really badass and if I had one in my possession I'd probably not be able to resist the temptation to throw money at it.

barato2

Commander

yeah, now i'm vacillating again. thkning that i should just find a lower unit on fleebay for the 100hp. would sure be a lot less work than pulling and replacing the entire motor, especially since i'll be pulling the lower unit anyway to do impeller. with apologies to Riders in the Sky, "Because it's the bottom feeder way!"

just need to hit the Chrysler forums and find out which size motors and which years will interchange with mine.

EDIT: just checked and Sierra doesn't even MAKE carb kits for this motor that i can tell. this does not look promising...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Georgia folks are lucky. In Michigan they want a pint of blood. Then the blood is the wrong color.....Beaurocracy sucks.

I don't know why states can't have common registration regs. Some are even easier than Georgia. I wonder what would happen if I moved back to Texas? Probably royally screwed and tattooed.

EDIT - Mr. Barato2 (I must be formal now since I just found out you are a legal-eagle. LOL) try checking with Frank A., he seems to be on top of the Chryslers. He might be able to help with finding carb kits. Sometimes bottom feeding sucks. but it sure is nice to show off silk purses. :rolleyes: