Some good stuff happening

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the support guys. It really does help to keep me motivated! :joyous:

And I have surgery #14 scheduled on 7Apr17 for a different issue. An ongoing thing that'll never go away. Just surgery once or twice a year. Blech! :lol:

Awaiting the county inspector now. The data sheet is on the door, ready to be signed. :D

As for the concrete itself, it will be finished in a "slick" hand troweled style inside the building which will give me a nice smooth floor. Outside will be finished with a push broom for a rugged style.

I'll allow 4 days after the pour before I start bringing stuff back into the building and getting reorganized.

One other thing - I'd set aside a fairly good sized pile of money for the electric installation but that went away when I increased the slab size. And we're currently saving our pennies for a 2-week summer vacation trip in July, so the electric installation will likely be put off awhile. But that's okay. The concrete guy will run the underground conduit for me before the pour, so I'll be able to proceed later without additional delay. :rolleyes:

I am really stoked about getting this done! ;)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
It's awesome to have an indoor area to work on things, like boats ;) I can't imagine how long it would take me to rebuild one outdoors. I had a company in Spokane build my garage, TuffSheds. They build the garage walls and rafters at their company then transport it to the site with a crew to assemble. It was great to go from a bare mono slab to a garage in 23 hours time and for 10k less than local contractor bids.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
23 hours? That's awesome!

The inspector hasn't shown up yet to check the forms but the property appraiser swung by a short while ago! My taxes will be going up! :rolleyes:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
23 hours? That's awesome!

The inspector hasn't shown up yet to check the forms but the property appraiser swung by a short while ago! My taxes will be going up! :rolleyes:

ouch, that sucks. I guess the slab makes it a permanent structure huh?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Yup, concrete definitely makes it permanent.

Well, the inspector never showed. I got an email this evening from the contractor saying that there were so many inspections today that the county got behind. So they rescheduled for tomorrow.

HOWEVER... they also said that they moved the concrete pour up a day and it will happen tomorrow too! There's a chance of rain on the original day, so they bumped the schedule.

I'm not happy. Normally, I wouldn't mind since I'm usually here anyway, but now I have to cancel/reschedule my pre-op appointment tomorrow, which I'd already done in order to accommodate the contractor's preferred date of day after tomorrow. And my wife had rearranged her work schedule, twice, in order to be able to get the boy home from school. :yell:

Now we have to deal with it all again! I may even have to push off my surgery. But I'll know more tomorrow. :censored:

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Congrates on the building progress, and good luck with the medical stuff.

As for the floor, don't have him make it too smooth, our's was power troweled very smooth and it's like standing on ice when wet, VERY slippery.

it will be finished in a "slick" hand troweled style inside the building

The appraiser, that's why they make you get a building permit, so they know when to re-appraise your place.

Dan

Watermann

Here they wait until you have your final inspection and then the appraiser comes by and ups your taxes. Yeah my garage cost 20k and they upped the value of my place by 30k. :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Concrete is in! :D

From the time the big mixer truck showed up until everyone was finished and gone was just 2.5 hours. They worked non-stop and got the mud done!

Tomorrow morning the primary contractor will return for a short while. I think he said that he's going to put saw-cut control joints inside the garage? I can't remember. :facepalm:

Pix, pix and more pix! And one short video. :happy:

The concrete worker started the underground conduit but was racing the clock in anticipation of the mud arrival. He didn't really have his heart in the side-project. So they taped the end of the pipe and covered most of the trench to prevent the workers from tripping. He did get it past the concrete area though. At days end, I told the contractor not to worry about the rest and I'll just get my buddy to finish the job. I trust him to do it better than that concrete worker guy.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Last batch from today...

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

34.jpg

33.jpg

Attachments

• 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

Slab looks real nice. So where's the pic of the hand prints and initials?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The contractor came out this morning and used a gas powered saw to cut the control joints. I can't believe they weren't using hearing protection. Especially inside a metal building. :rolleyes:

It only took them about 15 minutes including cleanup and they were outta here. Concrete is all done! :joyous:

I was told that I can start bringing stuff back into the garage but not to drive on it for a couple more days. I also need to re-grade the dirt back up to the slab, so I'll do that first. We're having a rainy front coming through today so I may not get started until tomorrow, depending on how fast the front passes.

A couple pix and a short video! :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its official, concrete curing pix are much more interesting then paint/spar drying pix.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Looks awesome when they are done there I need a hand with one. Looks plenty big enough to do what you need with the tinsanity

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Thanks guys! I'm really looking forward to getting my stuff into the newly solidified garage. :D

Gonna be a couple days before I get started for real though. Too much to just carry by hand. And I can't drive on the new concrete till the day after tomorrow. I do want to use my truck to bring big loads from the shed. Time will tell though. I really do have the itch to get started.

But I think that tomorrow I'll be able to use my little tractor to do some box blade grading work around the building.

That'll be a start. :cool:

SeaR

Recruit
Congratulations, buddy! Very nice facility - Thanks for all the great pix, vids & descriptions/narratives. That crew made flat work look like a walk in the park:watermelon: