The passing of Don S

BradC-iboats

Chief Petty Officer
We are deeply saddened to announce that our dear friend, and incredible Moderator, Don S passed away on Thursday July 18, 2013. Frankly those of us on the forum that worked with him on a daily basis are devastated, and must find a way to replace the tremendous contributions he made here. We are forever indebted to Don for the professional approach he took to diagnostics, documentation and his overwhelming commitment to this forum. Frankly, he taught us how to run this place from a technical standpoint, and we will be forever trying to live up to the standards he set for us.

Don was a skilled woodworker, and a master of Photoshop. His "shopped" pictures will live on iboats forever. Don had a frank way of posting that did not always reflect that he was truly a kind and funny man. Those of you who never had the chance to speak with him missed a man that ironically could be described as Santa Claus on the phone. He always chuckled and joked and honestly had a jolly sound to him. We will all miss him greatly.

While we realize this announcement is a week old, out of respect we waited for the proper notifications of Don's passing to his family.

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: Don S

I am shocked and saddened. He was such a great resource, especially on the Mercruiser forum. His expertise and willingness to get us through issues was second to none. I will miss him, and send my thoughts and prayers to his family.

kfa4303

Banned

So sad to hear. May the Great Oracle of the Sea be at rest. Fair winds and following seas.........

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: The passing of Don S

Dang I miss the guy. Spoke to him a lot! He was so committed to iboats, and his will be a tough act to follow here. RIP, Don :(

LiquidC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Such sad news. He was a crutch on the forums, I'm constantly searching for posts made by Don. There will definitely be a void, especially in the Merc forum. Thoughts & prayers to his family & friends. RIP Don.

Turn-n-Burn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My sincere condolences to Don's family and friends! He will be greatly missed, 2nd to none!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I spoke with Don very often on the phone and I have to say he was the greatest human resource when it came to any I/O questions.

Don left behind a Mother, Brother and two son's. My sympathy goes out to them all.

RIP friend. :(

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I am very deeply sad at his passing. I wish his family all of the best.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

So sad. He was such a welcome presence around here. RIP sir.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

A piece of Don trivia - Did you know that Don was a cat lover. Every conversation I had with him involved his cat and we used to laugh about it. We even discussed dropping off food to the local Humane Society to help the ones waiting adoption.

For those of you that would like to do something special - make a contribution to your local Humane Society to remember Don.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I am saddened to hear of his passing, at times he seems gruff, but behind that, his willingness to help was never hindered, he was always there to answer a question when posed. My thoughts are with his friends and family, may his trip be short and rest be peaceful.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

This is devastating news.... I am very saddened by this. Although I never "met" Don, I was truly inspired by him and through the Merc I/O forum he got me out of many a jam. I will truly miss his wit, his humor, his well timed sarcasm (and for those of us who got it delivered to us, it was well deserved!!), and his sage advice!. RIP, my friend!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I didn't know Don as well as others, but got to know him more on the Moderator side of the fence. I found myself agreeing with him more times than not. He was and will continue to be a great asset to Iboats. As we search for answers to our boating questions, I'm sure we'll cross many of his posts. May you rest in peace, Don............

angus63

Captain

I always enjoyed Don's input and will miss his straightforward, no nonsense replies. RIP Don S

rbh

Fleet Admiral

When I think of Don, he always struck me as a big part of the solid foundation that makes this site great.

RIP Don

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I had to wait a bit to reply because of the wave of emotion that washed over me. I only knew Don through his work here on iboats. He was funny, informative and at times a little rough with posters when needed. I guess it hits a little closer to home because we share a name and the same birthday. Ironically, when I joined I my first user name choice was "Don S.". He beat me to it by a few years.

I miss the Oracle by the Sea. Don's shoes cannot be filled.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

That's very sad news. Don always contributed in a positive manner. I'll miss his intuitive comments. The forum surely will never be the same without him. RIP Don.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I love the replies here :) I was often worried that Don was misunderstood, and of course sometimes he was. It's great to see that many of you realized that he was straightforward, but he held no ill will. Annnnd, any of you that have worked in a technical business, particularly automotive or marine, know that the steps he forced us to take, are the right way to do things. We need to keep his memory alive by helping members, newbies and oldies, understand that there is no "Easy Button" (Don quote), you must go through the proper steps. I honestly believe that would be a great tribute to the man. He knew the right way to do this stuff ;)