Do you think you will change after this Corona thing has been defeated?

harringtondav

Commander
Pres Trump just imposed an interstate travel ban on CT, NJ and NY ....US hotspot. Gov. Cuomo seemed to scoff. "Unenforceable". Nope. CDC has the authority.

Admiral has been holed up in AZ after she opted out of her return flight to drive home with a sis. Sis has been dragging her feet, and now said she is staying for the long haul. That was yesterday. Gena booked a three hr. direct flight to IA for $93. Talk of a total interstate travel ban caused her to go back to plan 'A'. I pick her up late this evening.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Pres Trump just imposed an interstate travel ban on CT, NJ and NY ....US hotspot. Gov. Cuomo seemed to scoff. "Unenforceable". Nope. CDC has the authority.

Facts matter - A travel ban was not issued by him or any one. CDC issued a travel advisory "urging" residents of the three states to not do unnecessary or nonessential travel. It is not a ban. Read for yourself - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...in-the-us.html

One more thing - The CDC has no law enforcement authority.

2nd one more thing - The person mentioned also does not have the authority to implement such a ban. I'll stop there. We don't discuss politics in the forum - Remember that.

Free boats for every American!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Ya think?

I have had to threaten to leave a facility (offshore) because someone arriving who were obviously very sick. OIM wanted to put ...........

We have a situation here in WA (see above what 'WA' means to me) with hairdresser. To call someone out for being a BLUDGER in the face of a pandemic seems heartless, but I know how some people think, and if a free ride comes along, they'll take it!

Chris.......

Only an Aussie would think that we in North America are sufficiently ignorant of things outside our hemisphere as NOT to know that WA is an abbreviation for Western Australia and so, require an explanation...and yet for some inexplicable reason then assume that most of us would have any clue what a bludger might be. :)

(you could at least have thrown in a hint that it has nothing to do with Quidditch.... :) )

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Facts matter - A travel ban was not issued by him or any one. CDC issued a travel advisory "urging" residents of the three states to not do unnecessary or nonessential travel. It is not a ban. Read for yourself - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...in-the-us.html

2nd one more thing - The person mentioned also does not have the authority to implement such a ban. I'll stop there. We don't discuss politics in the forum - Remember that.

Free boats for every American!

You are right....my bad.

Make that " GA-Boater for an indeterminate higher office which may or may not involve activitiies which could, but not necessarily, be connected with an exercising of your democratically franchised right to free and unhindered choice of representation ....in 2020".

Glad I fixed that! :)

GA_Boater

We can all learn something as we sit in front PCs or hold tablets and phones trying to make sense of all the incomprehensible things going on around us. Think of it as home schooling.

What does bludger mean in Australia?

Noun. bludger (plural bludgers) (Australia, slang) A pimp, a man living off the earnings of a harlot. [From 1856.] (Australia, New Zealand, slang, derogatory) A person who avoids working, or doing their share of work, a loafer, a hanger-on, one who does not pull their weight.

Next lesson - What does "shrimp on the barbie" mean? Why would anyone put those tasty crustaceans on a doll?

Free boats for every America and Australian too.

harringtondav

Commander

Facts matter
Ok, I didn't remember the exact words from last night's Nightly News. My bad. Here is the source of my comment. https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news Pick "Nightly News' from the header, then pick 'Trump administration 'evaluating all the options' on multi-state quarantine.... from the right menu.

Assuming NBC News is factual, note the comment about the CDC's rarely used power, referring to https://www.hhs.gov/answers/public-...o-enforce-isolation-and-quarantine/index.html. I read this as the CDC does have this power ...not used since the Spanish Influenza.

We don't discuss politics in the forum - Remember that.
I haven't forgotten GA. Politics wasn't my intent. I was adding to the threads about interstate travel restrictions in AU, and maybe here eventually.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Found an interesting video on those----Ted talks-----The other night.-----Somebody by the name of ----Bill Gates -----Gave a spiel about the next epidemic.------Said we will not be ready.-----He rolls a black drum out on stage as an example of a " get ready kit " from long ago.------That was posted on you tube about 4 or 5 years ago.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If a manager or owner tried that in Ontario they would be facing big fines and paying lost wages and a big severance. Do you guys not have OSHA in NY? A worker in Ontario can refuse to work if that worker deems it to be unsafe.]

As I said, it was long before the virus. And I should have said "used to know". She was a cancer survivor at the time, but didn't survive the second bout some years later.

I agree with everything you said, but you have to look at the circumstances.

A single widowed mother with little education, 2 children and a mortgage. Getting the job in the first place was a chore, after having been unemployed since marriage. Depending on your circumstances it can be a scary world out there. Some groups of people can challenge the norm, but others may be too afraid to try.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have done a number of jobs that I would refuse to do today.----------And I remember my parents used to send me out to the garden every day to pick the fresh corm.------The trick they used on a 14 year old was.-----You are the best at picking out the ones that are ready.---I felt honoured at the time.------Employers often will say ----" if you don't want to do it we will get somebody else who will "-----I say these shutdowns will results in lots of shops boarded up after this is over.

GA_Boater

A report about someone thinking out loud is nothing about setting policy, it is a report about harmful bleating. Also it was retracted by the one thinking out loud. I use the term "thinking" with reservation.

CDC was formed 7/6/1946. Spanish influenza pandemic time span was 1917-1918, 29 years before the CDC came about.

GA_Boater

Thanks GA I needed that ! :lol:
btw , do we get to choose what boat ? I think with my luck they would give me one with a rotten transom and stringers ...

Sam - You know what we say about free boats. Free used boats would help the economy more than new boats and put more idle hands to work. Of course boat makers have to keep making new boats to be turned into used boats, another economic boost.

Rationing may be needed if the boat builders and DIY crowd riot over a cleat or bilge pump shortage. We may need a new department - Dept. of Uniformed Development - Economy. The head's job title will be The DUDE.

A side benefit is adding more Mods to police the growing forum. We might get even paid, too. :D

GA_Boater

Gates said the same thing during the CNN C19 town hall the other day. He was right in the TED talk and he's right today.

Why are our collective memories so short? We never learn from the past.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I read that in Japan there are hundreds of stone markers placed along the Pacific Ocean shore.-----Clearly stating ----" Do not build below this marker "-------These are overgrown / hidden as time passed.----Then we had the 2011 event and many places were just obliterated by water.------It seems disaster fade from memory after 3 generations.----Maybe sooner today.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Adding classes of workers to 'essential services' is a way of keeping them off the unemployment list. If a person is forced out of work by shutdown measures, the government pays. If they CHOOSE to leave, the government has every right to tell them to fend for themselves.

Chris.......

Not necessarily in Ontario Canada Chris. If an employee tells their employer that they are not working because they may be exposed to Corona Virus they can evoke a workers right to refuse what they deem to be unsafe work under The Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act of 1978, And they will win in my opinion. Talk about opening a can of worms.. Whether it is indeed unsafe is determined after an investigation and if not resolved the Ministry of Labour is called in. That's the readers digest version but a worker has many rights here where other countries do not. I worked for The MOL for a few years as an investigator after I took my pension from my Steel plant.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Haven't read all 10 pages and so this may be way, way off topic but our " normal " world may be about to change greatly tomorrow, depending on the results on a virus test,

And possibly quite a lot more other folk in this very small one horse and two pony town

Thanks to a international tourist who did not isolate after being so informed as required and went on a 3 day local charter yacht two weeks or so ago and then showed the symptoms ...the yacht company weren't told either

Long story short...specalist ambos had to be transported up and carted the person off to hospital where he was confirmed positive,

Crew members were isolated at the time but now a number of locals have come down with symptoms as a result of being in contact with someone who had helped with the unloading, even though they weren't anywhere near the marina at the time,

Including both my sons...whose partners are both pregant...very concerning,

And many other townspeople...and businesses... here are waiting on tenderhooks as well,

just venting...

The manure may be about to hit the cooling device here