Do you think you will change after this Corona thing has been defeated?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
2012 was the wettest coldest june in decades .Just my luck!I stayed in Langford for a month and explored that area of the island extensively.One of the most bicycle friendly spots in North America.Everybody I met had a very easy going positive attitude .I took about 500 plus pictures with my Nikon on that trip.Fav places were South Dakota ,Montana,Wyoming,Idaho and of course B.C. I loved Fernie B.C.

When I was in Nanaimo on the island in 90' there was a traffic jamb in the downtown area. We sat for 5 minutes and then traffic started moving. I thought there must have been an accident. We passed through and saw nothing out of the norm. My buddy that had lived there for 10 years told me it was probably 2 folks that haven't seen one another and were chatting in the middle of the road. The next day we were out on our bikes, Harleys not CCM's (Canuck Schwinn's), and he ran into someone he knew. There we sat in the middle of the road while they caught up. I didn't get it then, I do now. One of my Johnny D isms is "Hurry up and stop."

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The “ filthy rich “ / capitalism has pulled and kept more people out of poverty then any other system ever tried ..
Yes entertainers and such make far more than they are worth but with that they buy stuff .. Probably fancy things that they don’t really need .. Others sell the stuff that others make that others provide and ship the materials for .. You get the idea ..
If there were no rich people , everyone would be poor ..
Should essential workers make more money ? Absolutely! But on the flip side if they did then the cost of those services would be much higher than they are for average people...

And this is why the current seriously flawed planet destroying system won't be changed. If you haven't the ability to look outside the current system to see what's possible, then the only way you can look at things is from the inside, and justify keeping the current system. The current system is based on ever increasing 'growth' economically, and the ONLY way that can happen in perpetuity is if the population continues to grow at the same rate. That is the very system that has bought us to where we are today. A species every reliant on increasing debt, where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. The rich have NEVER helped the poor, despite what they tell us (and how you justify it). The rich only have one thing in mind, getting richer. And that does not help anyone but the rich...

As I said before, I am not advocating any sort of communist system, we know that doesn't work, and we know why. A resourced based system, where we live within the confines of what the planet can SUSTAINABLY provide is the only sensible system. We continue the way we are, and very very soon, there will be nothing left on this planet to sustain us. We will have amused ourselves to death! At our current (pre-covid19) rate of consumption, in 10 years, our annual resource requirements will be twice what the planet can provide.

Chris......

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I may use Rimmer's salute. ;)

Generally, I think in about a year, this pandemic will be a thing of the past, and being a species with no thought for the future, or the ability to learn from the past, we'll go back to doing exactly what we were doing 6 months ago. Just the nature of the beast... Shame really.

What I would LIKE to see change, it a greater appreciation (and financial reward) for people who are the most important in society, those who keep us alive at our most critical times. Less financial rewards for those who are of little value to society (I'm looking at 'entertainers', sports-people and actors, singers and 'artists' in general). This pandemic has been a great chance to see who's needed, and who isn't!

If I was blindly optomistic, I'd like to see the current economic and financial model disassembled and a more resource based system introduced. An end to the filthy rich (who have more money than they can spend in several lifetimes, but I am not suggesting for a communist system, 70 years in Russia proved that doesn't work).

Chris........

Just as Chris has pointed out we will forget this as soon as things get back to normal. It's human nature. As far as paying 1st responders more because they are the most important members of our society the same thing was said about them post 9-11. And their wages are still the same compared to others today. My wife has been getting a 2 dollar an hour bonus because she is going in every day, just today they were told by their CEO the bonus will stop May 15.

Something much change where our financial systems are concerned. Every country in the G-8 is going to come out of this in debt in the billions and trillions. Where is this money going to come from? Print more money? The nations that have multi millionaires and billionaires are going to have to pay much more in taxes. A perfect reason for the politicians in power to tax them all and not get the boot in the next election.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Good luck on the quitting. I'm almost four years and wife is one year.

Thanks Joe, 1 day at a time. We are both quitting together. Day 8 almost over. We are at each others throats a tad. We have had more voice raisings episodes in the last 8 days than the last 8 years. Only after 8 days my constant cough is over, my lungs are dry. My sinus's are plugged 100%, I'm tired all day. I fell asleep in my chair an hour after I woke up. I slept for 18 hours yesterday off and on. But nowhere as hard as when I quit years ago. That time was much tougher.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
A poor person has never given me or anyone else a job ... A means of providing for the family ..
How dare those rich folks get richer .. They should be ashamed ... I think we should just take ALL there money .. Then spread it out till its gone and they have to close shop .. What would be the incentive to stay in business then ..
When the sun doesn't come up in the morning and all the farmers cant renew crops then we'll be in trouble ..
Heck theres just too many people .. That Logans Run movie had a great idea .. Whats the cutoff date for human existence..
Who's first ?

Sorry a little realville rant working on the night shift ...My apologies ....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Joe, 1 day at a time. We are both quitting together. Day 8 almost over. We are at each others throats a tad. We have had more voice raisings episodes in the last 8 days than the last 8 years. Only after 8 days my constant cough is over, my lungs are dry. My sinus's are plugged 100%, I'm tired all day. I fell asleep in my chair an hour after I woke up. I slept for 18 hours yesterday off and on. But nowhere as hard as when I quit years ago. That time was much tougher.

If you quit quitting, yer nothing but a quitter.

if you drink cut back on that as well.