Cumberland River Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I made a trip in my 1984 Sea Ray SRV210 cuddy up the Cumberland River from Green Turtle Bay marina on Lake Barkley to the Kentucky-Tennessee border above Celina, Tennessee September 16-18. The first day I was accompanied by my regular river trip co-captain. My daughter and her husband joined us at Gallatin, TN for the next two days. We stayed on the boat three nights, the night before we started and two nights during the trip. We stayed at marinas for the facilities. We ate lunch on the boat two days.

The total trip mileage recorded by GPS was 395 miles and we transited three locks. The first day we made 186 miles to Anchor High marina just above the dam at Old Hickory Lake. We refueled at Montgomery County Conservation Club at Clarksville, TN and Rock Harbor Marine at Nashville. We had intended to overnight at Rock Harbor, but decided to press on to Anchor High since the weather and river conditions were perfect. We had a nice dinner at the Anchor High Grill

The next morning, we made a short cruise to Drake's Creek Marina where we topped the tank and showered. Then it was off to Gallatin Marina where we met my daughter and her husband for lunch and a little more fuel. We cruised from there 120 GPS miles (we made a few detours) to Granville Marina on Cordell Hull Lake. We stopped at Defeated Creek Marina just above Cordell Hull Dam for fuel. We had a nice dinner at the restaurant at Granville.

The last day, we took on a few gallons of fuel at Granville and then cruised up to Gainesboro, TN to drop off my son-in-law so he could get to a work assignment. My daughter, co-captain and I continued up the river to the Kentucky-Tennessee line, with a short detour up the Obey River at Celina, TN and then back down to Gainesboro where I had positioned truck and trailer for takeout. Total GPS mileage the last day was 89.

It was a nice trip and we had good weather. To make such a trip, one needs to know how to stay in a channel. The upper reaches of Lake Barkley, Old Hickory and Cordell Hull Lakes are quite shallow in some parts. All of the marina folks were quite accommodating and I tried to do some business with each of them. Our boats aren't worth a lot without their facilities.

The only bummer of the trip was some punks stole the spare tire from my boat trailer. They probably got $15 for it, if that. It's going to cost me $150 to replace.

Attachments

• Seven Sisters.jpg
    Seven Sisters.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Threading the Needle.jpg
    Threading the Needle.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Underway.jpg
    Underway.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 1
  • Cordell Hull Shoreline.jpg
    Cordell Hull Shoreline.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Dad and Elaine with Cookie's Cutter.jpg
    Dad and Elaine with Cookie's Cutter.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 2

642mx

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cumberland River Trip

Your boat looks familiar... are you on Barkley a lot?

Good write up on your trip.... sounds like a bunch of fun!!

four winns 214

Your boat looks familiar... are you on Barkley a lot?

The boat's been on Kentucky Lake a lot, but not much on Barkley. It was slipped at Hester's on Kentucky the last two years.

southkogs

Staff member

Thanks for posting Four Winns: Love boating these waters in the fall.

I hope to do a run like that in a few years.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

The boat's been on Kentucky Lake a lot, but not much on Barkley. It was slipped at Hester's on Kentucky the last two years.

I'm sure I've seen ya down there at some point. We normally launch behind Buzzard Rock at Poplar Creek ramp on Barkley. Most of the time we run over to the KY lake side to eat at Moors or to run down to Fat Daddy's. And of course we love the rock quarry!! :)

four winns 214

The boat's been to The Moors many times as well as the quarry.

szorno

Recruit

Four winns- thanks for the info. I am planning a similar trip next summer. Maybe 5 days though. We will be buying a boat especially for this trip so I have a couple questions for you if you don't mind:
1. Was the 21-22 ft boat big enough to feel safe and comfortable on a trip on a big river?
2. What speed did you average? (gps or speedo minus current)
3. What fuel mileage in gallons per hour or miles per gallon did you get?
4. Did you find fuel readily available or did you have to plan carefully?
I was originally looking into the 24-25 ft class but your article is makeing me reconsider going a little smaller. Maybe 21 ft with V-6 engine. Just 2 of us and maybe a dog. we are used to camping with a slide in truck camper so being a little "cozy" is nothing new. Thoughts???
Thanks for your time.

four winns 214

I am planning a similar trip next summer.
1. Was the 21-22 ft boat big enough to feel safe and comfortable on a trip on a big river?
2. What speed did you average? (gps or speedo minus current)
3. What fuel mileage in gallons per hour or miles per gallon did you get?
4. Did you find fuel readily available or did you have to plan carefully?
I was originally looking into the 24-25 ft class but your article is makeing me reconsider going a little smaller. Maybe 21 ft with V-6 engine. Just 2 of us and maybe a dog. we are used to camping with a slide in truck camper so being a little "cozy" is nothing new.
1.) A trip like this is absolutely doable in a 21' boat. That's the length of my Sea Ray cuddy. I would recommend a V-8 engine. I have cruised the entire length of the Ohio River in that boat, except for the last 35 miles below Smithland Dam. So obviously, it is capable of big rivers. We have stayed in marinas at night for the facilites and have also stayed at a bed & breakfast on the Ohio.

2.) We cruise 25-27 mph and achieve a solid 3.5 mpg. The figures are measured by GPS and include fuel burned transiting locks. The boat is powered with a Merc 228R and an Alpha 1 turning a 19" aluminum prop. The prop does make a difference in speed and mpg. With the boat's 50 gallon tank, we can comfortably plan 140 miles between fuel stops, with a reserve. After purchasing your boat, do some test runs configured as you expect to be for your trip and calculate what YOUR boat and prop will do.

3.) We did not have problems with fuel availability, but there is no fuel above Granville Marina on Cordell Hull Lake. I highly recommend obtaining a copy of Quimby's Cruising Guide. It has invaluable information on marinas, restaurants, and locks on most midwest rivers. One caveat: CALL AHEAD and verify what is published! More than once we have discovered marinas that have closed or no longer sell fuel. Likewise, we have also discovered restaurants that have opened.

If you have not done so, learn how to transit a lock. It's not hard at all. There are pamphlets at marinas that describe how. You will have to transit Cheatam, Old Hickory and Cordell Hull locks (and Barkley if you start or end below it). Arrangements to transit Cordell Hull must be made at least 24 hrs in advance with the Old Hickory lock. If planning to transit on Saturday, Sunday or Monday it's got to be done by noon Friday. Qumiby's has the phone number.

Charts for the river can be downloaded here: http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/opn/CumbRiver/cumbmap.htm

I also recommend carrying a VHF radio. You can communicate with towboats on Ch 13 if needed. The Cumberland can be pretty narrow in spots and if you meet a tow in a bend, it's good to let the tow pilot know your intentions. Also understand that the tow pilot has precious little maneuvering capability in that situation and the safe avoidance responsibility rests with you.

Have a good trip!

szorno

Recruit

Four Winns- Thanks a bunch. I have a Quimby's and have partially laid out the trip using the book. The speed & mpg are very encouraging. Specially going up river. I have a guide to locking thru from some Ohio boating group. I have also read a couple articles in mags. (like Heartland boating) So now comes the fun part. (this spring) The boat. I will take your advice on the V-8 engine. I already figured the radio and GPS system as requirements. A good trailer is a must as going from Colorado to Ohio will be a haul.
Right now the plan is to go from Cincinnati down to Evansville or maybe Paducah, KY. I am having a hard time finding marinas near/below Louisville. Any thoughts or recommendations? Plan on 4 days but not positive how far I can get. Suggestions or cautions are welcome. And thanks again for the info.

four winns 214

Right now the plan is to go from Cincinnati down to Evansville or maybe Paducah, KY. I am having a hard time finding marinas near/below Louisville. Any thoughts or recommendations? Plan on 4 days but not positive how far I can get. Suggestions or cautions are welcome.
Cincinnati to Paducah in four days is doable. However, lock closures for maintenance can really screw up your timetable so check the Notice to Mariners. There are six locks between Cincinnati and Paducah.

Marinas below Louisville are definitely a problem. The only one is Rocky Point Marina right above Cannelton Lock and Dam. You just have to call to see whether they're currently in business and selling fuel. The only other option is to take a couple of 5-gallon gas cans. Once you get to Evansville, there are two marinas there and then another about half-way to Paducah at Golconda, IL.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Once you get to Evansville, there are two marinas there and then another about half-way to Paducah at Golconda, IL.

Yep... Its 110 miles from Evansville to Golconda with one lock in between. On a side note, Mt. Vernon's private boat ramp (73 miles from Golconda) is only a couple blocks from a Shell station if one would need to fill some gas cans before Golconda.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Right now the plan is to go from Cincinnati down to Evansville or maybe Paducah, KY. I am having a hard time finding marinas near/below Louisville. Any thoughts or recommendations? Plan on 4 days but not positive how far I can get. Suggestions or cautions are welcome. And thanks again for the info.

Evansville would be a good destination. We have 2 marina's with gas and slips. Inland Marine and Nu Plaza... Inland is pretty close to the action down town in Evansville (gambling boat, awesome restruants, many bars and entertainment, hotels, etc). We have taxi's that are reasonably priced too. If you come this way, be sure to take the tour of the LST warship that's docked in Evansville... they used to build those here in town... and its pretty cool for the kids and adults.

If you like to hangout at beaches and party, let me know when your in the area. We have some killer beaches around Evansville!

szorno

Recruit

Great info guys. Thanks. I will be mapping it out over the winter with all this info taken into account. I will likely buy the boat in Ohio or Indiana. (much better selection than Colorado) Take it to Lake Erie for a few days of get acquainted cruising out of Sandusky. Then go back to Cinci and start the real adventure. Then maybe the Cumberland rivier run that FourWinns started talking about as a follow up. Great food for thought over a long Colorado winter in between ski days. Thanks again.

sjohnson44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would love to take a trip like this one day, thank you for sharing!

I live a mere 60 miles from Kentucky Lake (Paris, TN) and would love to take a trip like that to Nashville or where ever sometime. It looks like a lot of fun, I wonder if I should make accommodations for a blow up mattress while Im restoring my boat???? lol

I was also wondering what the deal was with the locks, you have to call them ahead of time.

four winns 214

I was also wondering what the deal was with the locks, you have to call them ahead of time.
The requirement to call ahead to transit the lock at Cordell Hull dam is a special circumstance. It is not staffed, except by prior arrangement because of little to no commercial traffic. At almost all other locks, a phone call in advance is not necessary to transit. In fact, a radio is not even needed. One can simply motor up to the lock and pull a chain to alert the lockmaster that you want to transit, but I highly recommend having a VHF radio with which to call the lockmaster. Also know there is a definite priority order for locking and recreational pleasure craft are at the bottom of the priority list.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

This weekend, 200 Great Loop cruisers met at Joe Wheeler State Park's marina @ Rogersville, AL--1/2 way between Muscle Shoals and Athens, AL.

If someone's wanting to take a long distance cruise, the Tennessee River is the premier inland destination in the U.S. The river is stable, and you don't have to fight the tow traffic like you'll experience on much of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. It gets more beautiful the farther you go east--especially west of Chattanooga.

Pickwick Lake has some of the largest marinas in the U.S., and the northern end of the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway--a straight shot to Mobile and THE WAY to get to Florida.

There are many, many showplace state parks in Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama with hotels, campgrounds and marinas. Larger cities on the river are Paducah, Muscle Shoals, Decatur, Huntsville, Chattanooga and Knoxville.

We've had a number of Great Loopers anchor in front of our lake house over the years, and they've never been anything but impressed with this waterway as the top cruise location.

four winns 214

The Tennessee River from Knoxville to Paducah is our goal for next year.

The total trip mileage recorded by GPS was 395 miles and we transited three locks. The first day we made 186 miles to Anchor High marina just above the dam at Old Hickory Lake. We refueled at Montgomery County Conservation Club at Clarksville, TN and Rock Harbor Marine at Nashville.

Status
Not open for further replies.