165hp Mercruiser Fuel Pump!!!

I have tried everything to get fuel to my carb. So I think that my fuel pump is shot. I can't find a rebuild kit anywhere so I was wonder since it's a 71' inline 6 motor if I could use a fuel pump from a 71' chevy c10. I know they look a little different but they do the same thing right. They both have the same mounting points and the same gasket. Please give me your input. Thanks

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 165hp Mercruiser Fuel Pump!!!

It?s not that simple. The marine fuel pump has a return line to the carb incase the diaphragm ruptures. Only use marine rated parts. Have you checked your filters?

bigblocksarefun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you actually tested the pump? Others would probably not recommend this, but I get a coke bottle (or something similiar) and put the carb end of the fuel line (if you can) into the bottle, then turn the engine over. If fuel spits out, you know its not your pump. If it doesn't, then its replacement time. Do make sure you use marine and/or USCG approved parts (we're watching you...).

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Most autoparts places sell Airtex pumps.

Airtex is the OEM for just about ALL fuel pumps (including Mercruiser)

Both Autozone and Napa can get Airtex pumps. At Autozone the name for an Airtex pump is "Master"

The catalog will indicate the MARINE Model and they have pictures so take your old pump.

USCG regulations require the use of a Marine type pump. (Believe me you want to use a marine type pump. You don't want to turn the neighbor kid into a frenchfry....)

Regards,

Rick

Hey thanks guys I kinda figured I couldn't use it but hey it's worth asking right. I will have to try the coke bottle trick. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting fuel tho cause after I rebuilt the carb I cranked it over and over and over again and I still didn't get any fuel to the carb.

bigblocksarefun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Most autoparts places sell Airtex pumps.

Airtex is the OEM for just about ALL fuel pumps (including Mercruiser)

Both Autozone and Napa can get Airtex pumps. At Autozone the name for an Airtex pump is "Master"

The catalog will indicate the MARINE Model and they have pictures so take your old pump.

USCG regulations require the use of a Marine type pump. (Believe me you want to use a marine type pump. You don't want to turn the neighbor kid into a frenchfry....)

Regards,

Rick
You french fried the neighbor kid?!?:eek:

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Back in 71 it would not have had an sight line nor be plumbed into the carb. You can replace it with whatever pump you can find, but it is highly advisable to update it to the newer design.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

You french fried the neighbor kid?!?:eek:

Nah....I just want to help make sure no one else does...

A coupl'a times each summer someone blows up a boat on Lake Washington or Lake Union up in Seattle.....

ziggy

Admiral

assuming its a carter fuel pump. the diaphragm last i knew was still available from mercrusier. so it is rebuildable. maybe. to test your fuel pump you need to plumb in a pressure gage between the fuel pump and the carb. it supposed to put out 3-6 psi.
if you replace this fuel pump, for sure get the marine one. however..... i don't think that the carter fuel pump in them years had the third fuel line going up to the carb. so you may have to make your own set up. most likely on the starboard side of you carb. up, just under the fa on the air horn, you'll find a place where you can mount a fitting for the fuel dump from the new style fuel pump should the diaphragm rupture..

i base what i'm saying on the 2 L6's i've had, a 72 and a 75. both have not had the third fitting on the fuel pump for going up to the carb. i also see no mention of this third line in service manuals 1 or 2. it does show up in 3 though. my guess is 78 round abouts is when they started with the extra safety on the fuel pump. a good idea too..

I don't know about getting and electric, I prefer points they are more dependable.

I don't know I'm not to sure how that would react with my points. I have heard bad things about it. I heard that electric fuel pump burn out points like crazy.

ziggy

Admiral

just set it up as close to factory as you can. don't be fancy. that way you can use your oem service manual to trouble shoot + you know the manual has it right and you can follow it for proper repairs. any mods are suspect...

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

I'd like to know what an electric fuel pump has to do with breaker points?

You know I was wondering the same thing. But I have actually seen that posted on other forums too. I asked around and nobody answered. So I have no clue.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Only thing i can think of is if ya turn the key on and sit there acting like your waiting for the pump to pump fuel to your carb for to long and burn out the points. LOL :eek: