Time to re-upholster - Formula 330 SS

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say that looks really impressive. I am presently reading through this thread because I am trying to gain info about doing the same things for a live well cushion on my little boat project. But seems you have the ability to push that limit to look really good... Thumbs Up!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ted is lining up his retirement job........ Upholstery by Ted.....

looks great.

tpenfield

Staff member
Here is the backrest all stapled up . . .
IMG_4199.JPG
IMG_4200.JPG
One more piece to go . . . . :)

tpenfield

Staff member
Here is my design for the seat base . . . working in the green a bit.
HelmSeatDesign3B.jpg
I think this will be not too hard to make . . . .Thoughts?

southkogs

Staff member
Personal taste/opinion here : Keep the green in the center and look at the blue left and right. Or maybe drop the green left and right and add some blue at the bottom of the center design.

Not sure why I'm not hip on the green left and right.

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks for the idea. My colors are green/purple/pink/white.

However, I ran out of white :eek: as I when to grab the roll and there was only about 1/2 yard left. :facepalm:

So, I ordered 4 more yards just to be sure . . . I think that will make almost 30 yards of white :eek:

alldodge

Staff member
I guess I'm not a fan of the green because of the shade, if it was more Teal I would be more for it

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Agree with 'kogs.... Green in the middle....

White on the sides

southkogs

Staff member
Okay yup ... I like that better. I wish I could tell you why, but something about that other design just tossed me.

Like it's my boat :rolleyes: :lol:

tpenfield

Staff member
I appreciate the input . . . I still may go with a bit more of the green though. I have lots of the green material left . . . ran out of the white ! Should have more towards the end of the week.

southkogs

Staff member
Honestly, you're doing a killer job on it overall. No matter what decision you make, you're not going to go too wrong - most people won't even notice that you didn't do an amazing job.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
It really does look great, Ted. Maybe you could screw it up a bit, just we know you're human! I'm really impressed with your work.

Actually, I liked the version with a bit more green on the wrap-around parts of the lower unit. Both look pretty good, though.

tpenfield

Staff member
It really does look great, Ted. Maybe you could screw it up a bit, just so we know you're human! I'm really impressed with your work.

I’ve screwed up plenty on this project, but a guy on an upholstery forum told me the secret is in hiding your mistakes. :D

tpenfield

Staff member
Too late for you project, but if you do top stitches in the future, look at one of the top stitch guide foot that are out there. very helpful keeping a uniform distance from the seam.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Edge-G...72.m2749.l2649

I have that exact set. I've been using the 'medium' distance one for all of the top stitching. Does the top-stitching not look right :noidea:

I also have a left and right single sided feet for corners, etc. in addition to the standard walking foot.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Wow, I only wish I could screw up my cushion project as screwed up as yours. And the "hide your screw ups", isn't that the normal idea for everything? Please tell me yes... :eek:

Another statement try to follow is; "at 30 mph (small engine) it will look perfect"... That is my story and I am sticking with it!

I honestly think you have done an amazing job myself... :thumb::thumb::thumb: