1977 OMC electric stringer help

blackbrit

Cadet
I need help knowing what we have and which manual and parts catalog are the correct ones. We only have the Seloc manual so far, and it's not good enough. This OMC sterndrive is on a 1977 GlasPly. The model number on the upper unit is 981059. We can't find that number any place else other than having found some references to other people looking for information on theirs.

It's paired up with a Ford 302 (eight cylinder) that was overheating. We have traced that to a hole in the intermediate housing. In our paperwork the motor is listed as 175 hp.

Are all 1968 to '77 OMC electric stringers "the same"? I have read this in several places but this sterndrive was paired with 4 and 6 cylinder engines so they can't really be the same, can they?

Our sterndrive pre-dates the 400/800 series, and the Cobras, is that correct? Is it known as a "Type 3" OMC sterndrive?

Here are pictures. We would like to learn everything we can about it. I haven't bought the OEM manual yet, and don't want to purchase it until I know exactly what sterndrive we have for sure. There are about four 175 hp 1977 electric stringer outdrives listed in all the catalogs I've found so far - most I've found thanks to folks on this forum. We would appreciate any help anyone can provide. It seems there are quite of few of you here that are running electric stringers with success, and we would like to, too!

P1050620.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

And, everything but the intermediate unit removed:

P1050733.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 OMC electric stringer help

Just so you know...I beleive you want to put the drive back on so that the ball gears are meshed exactly how they were before. Should probably mark this now if nothing has turned.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

What bruce58 said.

There is only one original manual for the '77 series and it covers all models: http://www.iboats.com/OMC-Sterndriv...3684647--session_id.817613499--view_id.438311

Also, if you can give me the model number off the engine I can provide you with a link to many exploded parts diagrams and available parts. The model number should be one of these four: 990229E, 990229G, 990230E and 990230G.

*Edit* Better price on the manual: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/p...03&ptype=Service+Manual&Engine=&Model=990231E

southkogs

Staff member

Welcome aboard. The drive looks like it was cared for ... or at least recently painted ;)

Are all 1968 to '77 OMC electric stringers "the same"? I have read this in several places but this sterndrive was paired with 4 and 6 cylinder engines so they can't really be the same, can they?
Yes and no - the models up to '77 were all known as Electric Shift, but didn't really have model numbers to them. As I understand them the gearing will be different from through the different HP ratings (i.e. - don't pair a 120 outdrive to a 225HP engine).

Our sterndrive pre-dates the 400/800 series, and the Cobras, is that correct? Is it known as a "Type 3" OMC sterndrive?
Yours is an electric shift. I've not heard them called a type 3 before (you do need Type C gear lube in the lower unit), but I certainly don't know everything. Looks like your intermediate unit is from a 400 or 800, not sure though. Mine looks considerably different, but mine's a '72.

I haven't bought the OEM manual yet, and don't want to purchase it until I know exactly what sterndrive we have for sure. There are about four 175 hp 1977 electric stringer outdrives listed in all the catalogs I've found so far - most I've found thanks to folks on this forum. We would appreciate any help anyone can provide. It seems there are quite of few of you here that are running electric stringers with success, and we would like to, too!
Most of the manuals I have seen cover all of the electric shifts. I've got one that has all of 'em included.

There's some information HERE and HERE too.

blackbrit

Cadet

Just so you know...I beleive you want to put the drive back on so that the ball gears are meshed exactly how they were before. Should probably mark this now if nothing has turned.

Yes - we marked them before we removed them, thank goodness. That's a good reminder for anyone who comes upon this thread later. Thanks.

blackbrit

Cadet

What bruce58 said.

There is only one original manual for the '77 series and it covers all models: http://www.iboats.com/OMC-Sterndriv...3684647--session_id.817613499--view_id.438311

Also, if you can give me the model number off the engine I can provide you with a link to many exploded parts diagrams and available parts. The model number should be one of these four: 990229E, 990229G, 990230E and 990230G.

*Edit* Better price on the manual: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/p...03&ptype=Service+Manual&Engine=&Model=990231E

All models, one manual. Excellent! And thanks so much for the links. So both are the same manual? I wasn't sure. The Seloc, as I think I mentioned, has been helpful, but a disappointment.

As for the engine number, we'll try to get that this evening. At the risk of sounding as new as I am, I would look for that model number where on the engine? I can at least post a couple photos of it.

From the front:

IMG_0254.jpg

(We have different batteries now - marine deep cycle 27's from Costco (Kirkland, their house brand).

From the side:

P1050641.jpg

Top:

P1050640.jpg

blackbrit

Cadet

Welcome aboard. The drive looks like it was cared for ... or at least recently painted ;)

Let's go for recently painted? And thanks for the welcome! I thought I'd jump right in and let the questions introduce us. Hope that's okay!

Yes and no - the models up to '77 were all known as Electric Shift, but didn't really have model numbers to them. As I understand them the gearing will be different from through the different HP ratings (i.e. - don't pair a 120 outdrive to a 225HP engine).

So how do we know the hp rating of our outdrive? Our info from the previous owner was just on the engine. I don't think he knows the hp of the outdrive, actually. That's why we have been so intent on trying to find out more about the outdrive from that model number on the upper housing. And, the engine, while it's a Ford 302 has parts on it that could increase the hp. That's doesn't matter. Or does it?

Yours is an electric shift. I've not heard them called a type 3 before (you do need Type C gear lube in the lower unit), but I certainly don't know everything. Looks like your intermediate unit is from a 400 or 800, not sure though. Mine looks considerably different, but mine's a '72.

Well, that is certainly an interesting observation. That intermediate unit you are looking at has a hole right about where the water is supposed to flow out to the engine. We salvaged an intermediate unit from a 4 cylinder, and it mates up, but the shaft the ball gears go on is a different length. That's just one of our current dilemmas.

I haven't bought the OEM manual yet, and don't want to purchase it until I know exactly what sterndrive we have for sure. There are about four 175 hp 1977 electric stringer outdrives listed in all the catalogs I've found so far - most I've found thanks to folks on this forum. We would appreciate any help anyone can provide. It seems there are quite of few of you here that are running electric stringers with success, and we would like to, too!/QUOTE]
Most of the manuals I have seen cover all of the electric shifts. I've got one that has all of 'em included.

Thanks for the links. I'm going to look at those as soon as i post this.

blackbrit

Cadet

Here is a photo of the hole in the intermediate housing that came on the boat, and is, we think, why we weren't getting any cooling in the cooling system. The hole is about dead center in this photo.

P1050745.jpg

Anybody ever welded on some reinforcement on one of these when the aluminum housing has a hole in it? Different metal issues could come up pretty quickly, I suppose.

blackbrit

Cadet

is that a big crack?

That's a good question. I am going to say "No" only because I remember checking all surfaces as we were taking each housing apart. I'm going to say it may be the gasket making it look that way. I think it was re-painted after what we were told was a re-build of the sterndrive. (We are going to replace all gaskets we have exposed, which is many.) We will double-check those two surfaces, though, where the top cover comes off the upper unit.

The two significant cracking/pitting issues we are aware of are the previously mentioned hole in the intermediate housing and something I haven't mentioned yet.

I don't really know the names of these pieces, put they are the arms on each side of the upper housing that let the drive pivot up and down and that cooling water also flows through. I think. If I am really wrong about that, please straighten me out. Anyway, around each of the pivots there is a fairly slim, close-fitting metal sleeve, and then there is an O-ring gasket that fits in a groove with short vertical sides right on the end of each pivot. That all fits through two brackets that bolt together and then they are covered up with a cover, one on each side. One of the covers may be the one the hose is attached to.

The groove the O-ring is supposed to sit in is quite worn/pitted or corroded on one side especially. We are concerned the (new) O-ring that sits in that groove might not seat properly, though there may be enough of the short sidewalls remaining that it will be okay. So far those two things (this, and hole in the intermediate housing) have been what we, as total newbies but trying-to-be-observant amateurs have been able to see. We will definitely revisit the possible crack...

blackbrit

Cadet

Is that second link to info that is only for the Cobra version of the sterndrive? Or is it for our pre-Cobra, too?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

The groove the O-ring is supposed to sit in is quite worn/pitted or corroded on one side especially. We are concerned the (new) O-ring that sits in that groove might not seat properly, though there may be enough of the short sidewalls remaining that it will be okay.
Water director is the name of the side shield where your flushing adapter is attached.

I have seen a lot of those trunnions on the upper gear case banged up - seems to be the victim of outdrives falling over in the shop or damage in shipping

I built one up with JB Weld once and that worked ok - they seem to be fairly tolerant of the wear and damage.

I guess what I thought was a crack is just the normal parting line of top cover and exhaust housing - sorry to set any alarms off - not sure why that looked odd to me

southkogs

Staff member

As for the engine number, we'll try to get that this evening. At the risk of sounding as new as I am, I would look for that model number where on the engine?
Usually the engine model number is on a stamped plate. Mine (Chevy Inline 6) was on the starboard side (right / facing front of the boat) toward the back.

So how do we know the hp rating of our outdrive? Our info from the previous owner was just on the engine. I don't think he knows the hp of the outdrive, actually. That's why we have been so intent on trying to find out more about the outdrive from that model number on the upper housing.
Someone else will know certainly, but the 302's were only linked up to the 175 and 190. So, there's no reason not to trust the paperwork.

Well, that is certainly an interesting observation. That intermediate unit you are looking at has a hole right about where the water is supposed to flow out to the engine. We salvaged an intermediate unit from a 4 cylinder, and it mates up, but the shaft the ball gears go on is a different length. That's just one of our current dilemmas.
If I'm looking right (at the pictures of the engine) you've got a closed cooling system - rather than using sea/lake water, you've got a normal cooling system. I wonder if the intermediate is different for that? Thus sticking you with an extra hole of some sort? I know NOTHING or possibly less about the closed cooling systems.

is that a big crack?
I had to look at it for a second, but "no, it's not." On my cover (screws into the exhaust housing) there is a section of it that is not flush with the rest of the base just like that. Mine looks just like it.

Is that second link to info that is only for the Cobra version of the sterndrive? Or is it for our pre-Cobra, too?
Those are both Stringer links, not Cobra.

southkogs

Staff member

...I guess what I thought was a crack is just the normal parting line of top cover and exhaust housing - sorry to set any alarms off - not sure why that looked odd to me
... dangit!!!! If I'd been typing quicker I could have told Howard something about the Stringer. Probably would've cause some sort of rift in the space time continuum :D

blackbrit

Cadet

Water director is the name of the side shield where your flushing adapter is attached.

I have seen a lot of those trunnions on the upper gear case banged up - seems to be the victim of outdrives falling over in the shop or damage in shipping

I built one up with JB Weld once and that worked ok - they seem to be fairly tolerant of the wear and damage.

I guess what I thought was a crack is just the normal parting line of top cover and exhaust housing - sorry to set any alarms off - not sure why that looked odd to me

This is great news about using the JB Weld. And - no worries about the crack question. I wouldn't have posted a photo if I hadn't hoped people would look at it closely. Do you have any thoughts about building up the aluminum to close the hole in the intermediate housing?

blackbrit

Cadet

Usually the engine model number is on a stamped plate. Mine (Chevy Inline 6) was on the starboard side (right / facing front of the boat) toward the back.

Thanks for that information.

If I'm looking right (at the pictures of the engine) you've got a closed cooling system - rather than using sea/lake water, you've got a normal cooling system. I wonder if the intermediate is different for that? Thus sticking you with an extra hole of some sort? I know NOTHING or possibly less about the closed cooling systems.

Good thinking, but we've had to conclude, looking at the intermediate housing, that the water is supposed to exit up through the tube right above the crack. With the crack/hole we get no cooling. It is a system with a fresh water cooling unit, so it pulls raw water in to cool the radiator fluid (I think that is what is in the FWC unit) and circulates it around the hot fluids in the manifolds to cool everything down. Then it exits just above the prop.

Those are both Stringer links, not Cobra.

I got confused with the second one, and now I forget why. It will come back to me, I'm sure!

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer

just a thought about the cooling issue. You have a 77 ford. so do I, and I have the rear riser manifolds, not the banana style manifolds like is currently on yours. I believe all 77's had the rear risers that are no longer made. Couple that with the fact your manifolds look new, or recently painted, maybe they did not install something correctly on getting things back together.

Obviously that crack isnt helping your issues, but that could be something to look into as well.

blackbrit

Cadet

just a thought about the cooling issue. You have a 77 ford. so do I, and I have the rear riser manifolds, not the banana style manifolds like is currently on yours. I believe all 77's had the rear risers that are no longer made. Couple that with the fact your manifolds look new, or recently painted, maybe they did not install something correctly on getting things back together.

Obviously that crack isnt helping your issues, but that could be something to look into as well.

That is so interesting. Someone with the same or similar setup! We are definitely going to remove the front or rear plate on each manifold in order to check them out. I kept seeing photos of those risers, and was aware we didn't have them though I didn't know what it meant. Is your sterndrive model number 981059 (from the plate on the upper unit), or something different?

blackbrit

Cadet

Since we aren't going to get this all sorted out in time to put it together again and cover it for winter we are worrying about having the transom plywood exposed at the boot. We are thinking of using CPES from rotdoctor to protect it both now, and in the future. The boat is going to have to be covered with a tarp or canvas, and we are concerned not only about rain, but condensation. Our garage isn't tall enough to bring the boat inside.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1975 175hp raw water cooled package with the same type of manifolds in my boat. My oem manual and parts catalog covers 1962-1976 120 to 235hp. Taking a quick look it seems like the 1974 170hp and the 75/76 175hp drives are identical. There may be some stuff in my thread here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=501126 that may be useful.